How to communicate with game developers

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^

We have a Black Star Lounge, might as well use it to get feedback.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol, yet some of your most senior members aren't a part of it. I definitely didn't take offense.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^

We have a Black Star Lounge, might as well use it to get feedback.
They really need to open that up to the entire community. The BSL already has like 15 people in it. I'm not asking about the game solely for my knowledge. I'm asking because this is the kind of shit that should be made public.

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wait, so first you make the Force Pit public, but then recreate it as The Black Star Lounge using the old Force Pit as some leisure place where a bunch of *******s just yell at each other? What? I don't understand why you won't make The Black Star public, neither do I understand why you won't show us some gameplay footage. I'm 99% sure that most of the vets here don't wait for the mod to release but to just stick around because they basically grew up with some of these guys. Question is, will the final live up to all the time it's been in development for? No. It won't, it's essentially been a decade, and a new console generation has already passed by and basically what the current generation has been producing in several months is probably better than the work you've been producing for the mod in the past 10 years. But how can we know that for sure right? After all, you guys won't give a single **** to show us some gameplay footage so how can what I say be true? Well, if you really believe ESF is going to be such a blast and that it will surpass most of the current gen console fighting games, then let go of your pride for just a bit and show us some ******* content.

Show us a ******* video.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, so first you make the Force Pit public, but then recreate it as The Black Star Lounge using the old Force Pit as some leisure place where a bunch of *******s just yell at each other? What? I don't understand why you won't make The Black Star public, neither do I understand why you won't show us some gameplay footage. I'm 99% sure that most of the vets here don't wait for the mod to release but to just stick around because they basically grew up with some of these guys. Question is, will the final live up to all the time it's been in development for? No. It won't, it's essentially been a decade, and a new console generation has already passed by and basically what the current generation has been producing in several months is probably better than the work you've been producing for the mod in the past 10 years. But how can we know that for sure right? After all, you guys won't give a single **** to show us some gameplay footage so how can what I say be true? Well, if you really believe ESF is going to be such a blast and that it will surpass most of the current gen console fighting games, then let go of your pride for just a bit and show us some ******* content.

Show us a ******* video.
Hi, I'm Mous4u and I didn't read anything at all about the Black Star Lounge. For starters, The BSL was made before the Force Pit went public. The section went live ~2 months before that, when the changes were made to the Force Pit (section was renamed and some threads were supposedly removed). You were correct on it being the new Force Pit, except the part where a bunch of "*******s" yell at eachother. The team actually posts content there, and things are constructive. Advice, criticism, suggestions, and input is all given out without any bullshit being involved. Maybe I'm biased because I have access to the section, but I really don't believe that it should be for public eyes. I do agree with wanting more people getting access to it though, specifically the veterans who actually still care about the mod/the development of the mod. With that being said, I \agree with everyone about the team needing to show more content. I also think it would be nice if the Force Pit received more attention still and it were to be treated as the KSF section on the NNK forums, where the people registered on the forums who had access to the section received occasional treats such as extra screenshots or early access to a video.

I don't know where all your buttmad came from, but you, nor anyone else will know if the final version will live up to what you're expecting. I think it's ignorant to say that it will, or won't. Also, I don't think anyone seriously argued that ESF is better than the console games, or the console games are better than ESF. They're both based off of Dragonball, but ESF and the console games are two completely different games that shouldn't be compared to what's better and what's not.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hi, I'm Mous4u and I didn't read anything at all about the Black Star Lounge. For starters, The BSL was made before the Force Pit went public. The section went live ~2 months before that, when the changes were made to the Force Pit (section was renamed and some threads were supposedly removed). You were correct on it being the new Force Pit, except the part where a bunch of "*******s" yell at eachother. The team actually posts content there, and things are constructive. Advice, criticism, suggestions, and inpput is all given out without any bullshit being involved. Maybe I'm biased because I have access to the section, but I really don't believe that it should be for public eyes. I do agree with more people getting access to it though, specifically the veterans who actually still care about the mod/the development of the mod. With that being said, I do agree with everyone about the team needing to show more content.
Really, the only threads that get traction there are about maps. I've seen nothing about game play, or really anything that interests me as someone who intends to actually play the game and not wander about looking at how pretty the grass and structures are. This community doesn't need more exclusion. It needs less of it. There's no reason to hide crumbs in a secret squirrel section where only a handful of people post. If you can come up with a good reason to keep everything under wraps, I'm all ears, but it's pretty ******* silly at this stage, and this late in the game, to keep hiding the most trivial of details.

As for comparing ESF to console games, why not? They're games. Is Adventures of My Little Pony better than The Witcher 2? Can I not say one is definitely better than the other because they're not in the same genre? Of course I can. Witcher 2 doesn't have shit on AMLP. ESF doesn't have shit on most games. Once upon a time it was pretty great, but it was a different era. Will 1.3 live up to my expectations? It'll probably surpass them because I almost want 1.3 to fail because of how bad they are at the PR aspect of running development.

Last edited:
Best answers
I am new here, I came here said HI, and all douchebags including devs me thinks, jumped on me called me bad names and never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever stopped. You ask why there is so little of you left? Coz you all push newcomers away! Learn some manners... GOOD BYE!. I SAID GOOD BYE!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am new here, I came here said HI, and all douchebags including devs me thinks, jumped on me called me bad names and never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever stopped. You ask why there is so little of you left? Coz you all push newcomers away! Learn some manners... GOOD BYE!. I SAID GOOD BYE!
Dearest Fakfak (that's your new name),

If you want to know why the PR Guy insulted you in a roundabout manner, it's because of this post:
Oh boy! Another Potw! You know what that means? 2 more years until release date! :laff:
As you can see, one of the first things you did on this forum was to insult the team and community. People responded in kind. You ask for manners, but show none. Let me be frank you, fakfak. I don't give half a shit about your plight. I don't care if you never come back. But I know you will, because that's the kind of person you are. Once 1.3 gets released, this little temper tantrum won't stop you from downloading it and playing the game. Save your words. They're empty, and you're ruining a perfectly good thread. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please, do us all a favor and never return.

With love and affection,

Zeonix

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was once an experiment conducted by scientists on monkeys. These monkeys were put into a cage, the floor of the cage was electrified, and a banana was placed in the centre of the cage.

Whenever a monkey - acting on its natural instinct - attempted to claim the banana, the scientists would electrocute all the monkeys. This was repeated until the monkeys no longer acted out on their natural instinct. A monkey was then taken out and replaced with a fresh monkey with no foreknowledge of previous events ie a new generation.

This monkey, having not been the victim of social engineering, attempted to act out on its natural instinct and claim the banana. This time, the scientist required no direct intervention to interfere with the natural order, because the other monkeys viciously attacked the monkey attempting to claim the banana.

Another of the original monkeys was removed from the cage and a new monkey was introduced to the cage. This time when the inevitable occurred, the monkey that was previously attacked - without having any idea WHY it was attacked - enthusiastically joins in on the beating of the new monkey attempting to act out on natural instinct.

Once all the monkeys were replaced this pattern of behaviour was self-replicating, and so natural instinct is re-programmed. This is what has been happening in human society for generations. Nobody knows why they do the horrid things they do to one another, only that it is apparently "how it has always been" - no, this is how things have BECOME. There is a difference. The ESF Programme has proven to be an invaluable operation - the experiment shall proceed.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That experiment never actually happened.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, Sky never really could get that electrified-keyboard-plugin to work 100% - you know how it is here.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The monkey experiment thing is interesting and raises some questions. But at some time the experiment would fail. Nature finds a way eventually.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It never actually took place, but on a larger scale, I'm sure the monkeys would just go after the banana. I'm more interested in the progression of the myth, and how a ladder became an electrified floor, or wires in the iteration I heard.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah that's true. For example at the beginning, according to the info in that link you shared,
The earliest mention of this experiment was in the popular business/self-help book, Competing for the future by Gary Hamel and C. K. Prahalad (1996)
and it had a pole instead of a ladder.

4 monkeys in a room. In the center of the room is a tall pole with a bunch of bananas suspended from the top. One of the four monkeys scampers up the pole and grabs the bananas. Just as he does, he is hit with a torrent of cold water from an overhead shower. He runs like hell back down the pole without the bananas. Eventually, the other three try it with the same outcome. Finally, they just sit and don’t even try again. To hell with the damn bananas. But then, they remove one of the four monkeys and replace him with a new one. The new monkey enters the room, spots the bananas and decides to go for it. Just as he is about to scamper up the pole, the other three reach out and drag him back down. After a while, he gets the message. There is something wrong, bad or evil that happens if you go after those bananas. So, they kept replacing an existing monkey with a new one and each time, none of the new monkeys ever made it to the top. They each got the same message. Don’t climb that pole. None of them knew exactly why they shouldn’t climb the pole, they just knew not to. They all respected the well established precedent. EVEN AFTER THE SHOWER WAS REMOVED!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeo you want a clarification of what the RPS thing is. Nothing. Its just a way to determine a victor in a headon collision. Thats all it does. You can still angle round it if you want, but all in all its just a way to determine the winner in a head on collision. Like in 1.0 your ping was used and like in 1.1 your KI was used.

If you both use the same type of melee you still get the 1.2 headon. But if the types are different, then its decided by a rock papper scissors mechanic. Thats all there is to that. We are just using the name so you can understand that better. The 3 different systems are just 3 different copies of simple melee with a fancy animation and/or knock back direction control.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So options for options sake. Of ******* course. Why did I even hope there'd be any depth? You know what would've been the better option?

Simple melee: A single attack that does light damage, but can hit multiple times (increasing in difficulty) and can set up energy follow ups. Uses neither KI or Stamina.

Advanced melee: A string of melee attacks that you can elongate by burning stamina, therefore increasing damage but at the cost of your ability to follow up. Directional choice knockback afterwards.

Throwing: Burns high amount of ki as you continue to either spin/or smash your opponent into something, dealing damage scaling with the distance traveled.

You know what that system would do? Balance each other. Because when you use up all your stamina, you can resort to a ki draining attack. When you drain all your ki, you can resort to stamina based attacks. When both are down, or you're saving your resources for a big attack/ranged suppression, you use Simple.

THAT would be an infinitely better system, and would make a good point to start bouncing idea's from. Instead, what do we get? Confirmation that whoever is in charge doesn't understand gaming and probably doesn't play them.

Last edited:
Data Technician
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
So options for options sake. Of ******* course. Why did I even hope there'd be any depth? You know what would've been the better option?

Simple melee: A single attack that does light damage, but can hit multiple times (increasing in difficulty) and can set up energy follow ups. Uses neither KI or Stamina.

Advanced melee: A string of melee attacks that you can elongate by burning stamina, therefore increasing damage but at the cost of your ability to follow up. Directional choice knockback afterwards.

Throwing: Burns high amount of ki as you continue to either spin/or smash your opponent into something, dealing damage scaling with the distance traveled.

You know what that system would do? Balance each other. Because when you use up all your stamina, you can resort to a ki draining attack. When you drain all your ki, you can resort to stamina based attacks. When both are down, or you're saving your resources for a big attack/ranged suppression, you use Simple.

THAT would be an infinitely better system, and would make a good point to start bouncing idea's from. Instead, what do we get? Confirmation that whoever is in charge doesn't understand gaming and probably doesn't play them.
Have to agree with DaRkOwNs here. This, That^, sounds awesome and fun/difficult as hell!

Best answers
I like the RPS melee system, it sounds fun; 1.2.3. melee is alright, but not great. I don't like the way throwing works and I'm not a fan of advanced melee because it decreases game pace. Some things I'd like to see is variety in ki based attacks and an instant signature move attack via tier system.

What I envision is doing a melee chain and finishing off an opponent with a Kamehameha or something of the like.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I mean, we've created billions upon billions of threads in the suggestion forum over the years. I'm sure they assimilated some of the ideas (and then attributed those ideas to a meeting that occurred 40 years ago on a mountain top, under the sea, in space), but a pretty huge opportunity was missed by not having the shitty community (that has single handedly killed ESF and slowed down development because everyone except for the team is terrible and probably secret nazis who kill children and eat their hearts, and something about satanism because why not) take part in creating the design docs.

@RR: You can do that in 1.2 by getting rolled 3 times and having your opponent gen beam you until you die. Just pretend they're mini kames.

Since the RPS system is apparently not a system at all, we definitely need a video to understand what's what. It's just so confusing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom