hmmmm gateway doesnt exist?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok so basically, ive been trying to connect my uncle to the internet, his ISP say its a problem on his end. i know ive connected everything up right, and that the software is installed right. but its telling me it cant detect a connection.

then in the softwares help section, doing a health check. it tells me that there is no gateway.

what is going on?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
start->run->"cmd"->"ipconfig /all"

your default gateway is the first routing device that all your traffic will be sent through

is he directly connected to the internet, or are you going through a router/another computer?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
he is going through a broadband router, which has a USB connection (connected to his machine) and the option of an ethernet port. but his computer doesnt have an ethernet port so thats out of the question.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The gateway would be the IP address of that router. Usually 192.168.0.1, though it isn't always. It depends on the router, so look it up online if it's something different. You'll know you have the right one when you enter the IP address in your browser's address bar, and you get some kind of administration panel.

DHCP should set everything up for you, but I guess it's not working. Try setting up a static IP address (it'll be internal, not external). This page should show you how to do it if you've never done it before.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Did the modem come with special software you need to install if you're using the USB method? (Ethernet > USB btw)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You may need to refresh the USB driver stack, especially if you removed devices connected via USB to get his modem on.

Do this only if his modem is not installing properly or that it's reporting that it's an unknown device:

Uninstall all of your USB devices . . . printers, cameras, etc

Reboot into safe mode

open up device manager and select USB Controllers

remove the devices first using the delete key
then remove the USB Root Hub(s)
then remove the Standard Open HCD host controller
then remove the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host Controller

reboot, and reconnect and reinstall one device at a time untill you have what you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom