Hey, what's *** about Doom 3?

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, in the other Doom thread, people don't like when we talk about the negatives of Doom 3, because apperantly we can't do that in a "Doom 3" thread. So I figured, why not post what you feel is wrong with the game here.

Don't flame peoples opinions, or flame the game itself, just say what you would have liked to have seen.

I suppose people could do this in the other thread, but I think if we do it in their with all the up tight doom fanatics then someone will end up getting a warning ya see.

Personally, hit detection, and a way to fight when you have the flashlight on.

It'd make so much more sense. Every FPS needs hit detection, and you are in the future and don't have a flashlight + gun combo. Come on, we can even do it now.

So ya, keep the doom 3 crits coming.

Best answers
Alright then, one thing I hated about Doom 3 is that when you shot the bodies to much they would dissapear, that is the only thing I could of think of.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XsilentlyXdiesX said:
Alright then, one thing I hated about Doom 3 is that when you shot the bodies to much they would dissapear, that is the only thing I could of think of.
imagine if the bodies didnt dissapear though....

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The stupid enemy spawn points.

"Spawn one in front of you, and three behind you! Mwahahaha!"

Best answers
GhostfaceKillah said:
imagine if the bodies didnt dissapear though....
I have a mod that has them stay instead of going away, it is alot better then them going away.

It is for people with low end computers though so I understand WHY they did it.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually the game is totally fine with the bodies not disappearing... you can download an anti-gib mod that'll keep them there. Problem is, the bodies can't be dismember or anything. That's the other problem I have with Doom 3, they have all of this great state of the art technology and you can't even shoot the arm off of a zombie or blow one's head off. Detracts from the so-called "Realism." The hit detection is completely absurd and because of it the multiplayer will be greatly affected. It takes a long time for mod makers to create their own hit detection and I doubt we'll see any for a very long after the SDK is released. The flashlight is an incredibly hokey gimmick that basically forces you to be scared in potentially dangerous situations, and you can put the flashlight on your gun if you download a mod for that, but it ruins a lot of the suspense. The AI is completely retarded too. All Doom 3 really has going for it is the graphics. The models, the lighting, the environments, and that's it. The thing is, they're so good that it almost makes up for the rest.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't understand. I thought Doom 3 uses per-poly hit detection, as opposed to his boxes, so if a bullet goes between your legs it won't hit you.

The blurry screen/jolting screen when you're attacked is quite a pain, especially when you get swarmed and can't get a shot off because you can't see. And no, your flashlight won't save you here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Actually the game is totally fine with the bodies not disappearing... you can download an anti-gib mod that'll keep them there. Problem is, the bodies can't be dismember or anything. That's the other problem I have with Doom 3, they have all of this great state of the art technology and you can't even shoot the arm off of a zombie or blow one's head off. Detracts from the so-called "Realism." The hit detection is completely absurd and because of it the multiplayer will be greatly affected. It takes a long time for mod makers to create their own hit detection and I doubt we'll see any for a very long after the SDK is released. The flashlight is an incredibly hokey gimmick that basically forces you to be scared in potentially dangerous situations, and you can put the flashlight on your gun if you download a mod for that, but it ruins a lot of the suspense. The AI is completely retarded too. All Doom 3 really has going for it is the graphics. The models, the lighting, the environments, and that's it. The thing is, they're so good that it almost makes up for the rest.
I honestly don't understand what you blabber about the hit detection. Are you mad that if you miss by an inch it won't hit them like in half life fps?

If you shoot their leg, it hits, if you shoot in between, it won't.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
I honestly don't understand what you blabber about the hit detection. Are you mad that if you miss by an inch it won't hit them like in half life fps?

If you shoot their leg, it hits, if you shoot in between, it won't.
That's what I said...

I thought Doom 3 uses per-poly hit detection, as opposed to his boxes, so if a bullet goes between your legs it won't hit you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I discussed with PCJoe about the "Unrealistic elements" in First Person Shooters these days... I guess the only thing I hate is the toggle Sprint (why cant we sprint automatically? I mean if your base was being pwned by a bunch of demons and you were the baddest mofo there and everyone feared you then why walk and ****?).

Another thing I find annoying is when you get hit, your screen shifts like crazy it just completely throws off your AIM (And you think it was bad in CS).

Best answers
I hate how u actually see and hear them spawn, how is it suppose to be a scary game when a puff of red flashes and a imp spawns. Let them spawn without the sights and give out a demonic scream or something more creativity id comon.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can't knock a game for having realistic aspects. Imagine if a huge demon walked up and right crossed you, you would not only lose focus visually, but you would be sent reeling.

People don't complain about this effect in 3rd person games, because it doesn't become a camera issue.

I haven't played Doom 3 myself, but I've read a couple reviews and what you people have been complaining and praising. It doesn't seem like a bad game overall, it's just taking the Quake 3 engine the next level.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bleh, alls I know is that im not a big fan of games with the slightest realism elements, the only time I like those types of games is through Single Player only, online is a no, its nothing but luck and in games like that usually the person with low ping is mostly triumphant, I remember back in the days I was god at CS and Quake with my 366mhz Pentium 2. I would ignore that fact I had lag and rush through the level without any bullets temporarily paralyzing me or dieing with 1 hit to the head from any fricken game (where the chances of somebody picking up a rail gun were very slim). Atleast Doom 3 is not like this but I would still like to Sprint without toggling the stupid key or running out of stamina. I dont mind being pushed by by a 100ft. Demon but I do mind if he throws my aim off to the point where im aiming at the sky.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hwoarang said:
It doesn't seem like a bad game overall, it's just taking the Quake 3 engine the next level.
It's not the quake 3 engine >_>.

Best answers
I can put it so easy.

Doom 3 = Grafics engine. What is it missing? A GAME.

Yes, mods for Doom 3 would be great, but seeing as the tools too make them aint out yet (SDK if i read sonics post) thats gonna take some time. This game is scary? no. Its just too dark too see a ****ing thing 98% of the game.. Its practically FORCES you too turn on god mode and start bashing with the flashlight, cuz thats the only way you can actually SEE what the hell your doing. I think this is the first and only game i have every played that made me search for cheats BEFORE i finished it. And boy did i have fun. Did cheats ruin it for me? NOOOO I'm god with a CHAINSAW, BABY! :D BRING IT!

But seriouslly. I think the irony in [SAS]Onions quote is perfect. [SAS]Orion: "i'm a doom 3 space marine!"

Your a goddamn space marine, why in hell are you running around with a flashlight? Smith, EVEN HALFLIFE HAD BOTH FLASHLIGHT AND GUN! Seeing as you constantly refure back to HL, it just pwned Doom 3 :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When Doom 3 was out I thought the cheats would remain the same:

IDDQD - God Mode
IDFA - Extra Ammo + All Weapons
IDKFA - Extra Ammo + All Weapon + All Keys

lol I still remember the cheats. Oh yeah, IDCLIP was no clip mode... Ahh the good ol' days...

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats wrong with doom 3?

Well, I DON'T HAVE IT YET!!! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom