💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So how do you like it in the US of A so far groovenstein? ;o

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So how do you like it in the US of A so far groovenstein? ;o
Sub-urban towns like Falls Church aren't that different to the UK. Major cities, however, are like a whole new animal. Good fun so far, and an interesting experience. And don't get me started on American TV News... >_>'

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub-urban towns like Falls Church aren't that different to the UK. Major cities, however, are like a whole new animal. Good fun so far, and an interesting experience. And don't get me started on American TV News... >_>'
Do get started on American News, I'm curious as to how a foreigner sees it.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do get started on American News, I'm curious as to how a foreigner sees it.
To sum it up: the outside world doesn't seem to exist on your news broadcasts (I've seen several, on different channels). A mentally-ill British guy was executed in China 24 hours after the decision was announced, which created a storm all over the UK. This didn't make it to the news on TV o_O. The story was reported in the New York Times, but not television. They seem to care more about how some 70 year old war veteran in Virginia was ordered to take down the US flag from on top of his house (which btw, was just that - an order from the city council, they never actually made him do it). Almost all of the focus is on local events as opposed to (relatively) more important world news.

Another interesting observation was how aggressive everyone is on TV. You heard about the Nigerian guy who got onto an aircraft trying to bomb it while being on a watch list, right? I actually liked how everyone (on news broadcasts, talk shows, etc) is super worked up on why it happened to begin with. The general public holds great power and empowering them to speak up and do something by getting them worked up for a constructive reason is definitely something I am seeing more here than back in the UK.

It's just... different, that's all. :3

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's probably easier to see why we're pretty ethnocentric when compared to Europeans now, isn't it?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To sum it up: the outside world doesn't seem to exist on your news broadcasts (I've seen several, on different channels). A mentally-ill British guy was executed in China 24 hours after the decision was announced, which created a storm all over the UK. This didn't make it to the news on TV o_O. The story was reported in the New York Times, but not television. They seem to care more about how some 70 year old war veteran in Virginia was ordered to take down the US flag from on top of his house (which btw, was just that - an order from the city council, they never actually made him do it). Almost all of the focus is on local events as opposed to (relatively) more important world news.

Another interesting observation was how aggressive everyone is on TV. You heard about the Nigerian guy who got onto an aircraft trying to bomb it while being on a watch list, right? I actually liked how everyone (on news broadcasts, talk shows, etc) is super worked up on why it happened to begin with. The general public holds great power and empowering them to speak up and do something by getting them worked up for a constructive reason is definitely something I am seeing more here than back in the UK.

It's just... different, that's all. :3
Heh, I've gotta go on Youtube and find some British newscasts, I'm sure I'd be surprised about the differences compared to American news.. But anyways, yeah, I don't watch much news but whenever I flip over to CNN for a few minutes I always see people getting into a heated argument. It's funny and annoying at the same time :-/.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Almost all of the focus is on local events as opposed to (relatively) more important world news.
I can usually count on the BBC reporting news a couple days before everyone else, short of the NYTimes and Wallstreet Journal.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Cucz0r! How're things with the family?

Maggeh! I'm in Falls Church, VA.

Haha, I remember that screenshot and the emote. I kinda miss the IRC days.
Hey cool dude, I grew up in Lexington Park, Maryland andwe lived in Richmond Virginia for a bit as well. I ****ing love the East Coast, but currently I live in Dallas, TX. Even though I'm a posh yankee in the south, Dallas is pretty ****ing fun man.

and yes, have fun with our journalism, you'd love Fox news, it's fair and balanced journalism...

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Groovy has returned... to save us all from American media.

REJOICE!!!

btw, wb

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Family's good Groobles. My daughter is almost 5 now, believes in Santa, scared of the prep and landing elves, loves scooby doo and power rangers (LOL!). My wife is headed off to college now that she's not taking care of my aging mother in law. I've gotten a promotion at work to a more technical position with much better pay and more overall importance to the company. All is well :p Cool to hear that you're in the US. I'm in Pennsylvania still, so if you swing into northe east PA for any reason let me know.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Family's good Groobles. My daughter is almost 5 now, believes in Santa, scared of the prep and landing elves, loves scooby doo and power rangers (LOL!). My wife is headed off to college now that she's not taking care of my aging mother in law. I've gotten a promotion at work to a more technical position with much better pay and more overall importance to the company. All is well :p Cool to hear that you're in the US. I'm in Pennsylvania still, so if you swing into northe east PA for any reason let me know.
Five already? Wow, time does fly. And I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. I wasn't sure where Pennsylvania was on the US map so I looked it up, and noticed that it was right next to Virginia (where I am atm). But then I realized that some of your states are bigger than all of the UK in comparison, so maybe we're not that close after all. xD

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My daughter is almost 5 now, believes in Santa, scared of the prep and landing elves, loves scooby doo and power rangers (LOL!)
I can imagine Cuc getting beat up by his daughter as she says, "HIIIYAAH!!!!!!" for the 1000th time that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom