Help with Listen Server Security

Best answers
Well I decided to dabble my hand in settng up a listen server with Meta Mod and AMX mod X. Got it working fine, by following the instruction in the Documentaion on th AMX Mod X site. It works fine, and I have had hours of fun slapping and kicking my friends about muhahaha.
Well i was running it for a while, and i was getting a little concerned about security. I set up AMX Mod X with me only having admin privledges.
Code:
amx_default_access "z"
I used the above to set the default access as a normal unprivileged user. Then is set
Code:
amx_password_field "_pw"
in addons\amxmodx\configs\amxx.cfg, and as it said in the amxx.cfg i have changed the "_pw" to something else.
(If some one could clarify what this does i would be grateful because I dont understand the "_pw" operation.)
I left
Code:
amx_mode 1
in addons\amxmodx\configs\amxx.cfg as default value of 1.

Now came setting up Admin privileges for me, and my mate.
I followed what it said in the AMX Mod X documentation and added the following in addons\amxmodx\configs\user.ini
Code:
"STEAM_ID_HERE" "password_here" "abcdefghijklmnopqrstu" "ce"
There was already, one of these options in the user.ini for loopback
Code:
"loopback" "" "abcdefghijklmnopqrstu" "de"
(Im not sure what this is for, should I comment out this line?)
And then
Code:
setinfo _pw "password_here"
in the autoexec.cfg. (If some one could clarify what this does i would be grateful because I dont understand the "setinfo _pw" operation.)
Thats all i can rememeber i did. I followed what it said in the documentation.

Now comes setting up Admin privileges for my mates. I havent done this yet and i am thinking all i have to do is add
Code:
"STEAM_ID_HERE" "password_here" "abcdefghijklmnopqrstu" "ce"
with my mates Steam_Id. Does everyone have to use the same password, or can i set it so everyone has a different password, and does my mate have to put the
Code:
setinfo _pw "password_here"
in his autoexec.cfg file?

With all this stuff about passwords, when i go to set up a server through ESF, it asks me for a password on the server creation window, do i need to put one on there?

I think thats all. Is this sever set up right to be secure as it can with AMX Mod X, so that only selected people will have Admin proviledges?

Just one more thing seperate to security, if i want to turn off power level catch up on my server, do i have to add
Code:
mp_plcatchup 0
in the listenserver.cfg?

Thanks for any help.

**Edit: Add link to the AMX Mod X documentation**

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Umm since you are using the steam id, the setinfo _pw is usless.
Aka: "STEAM_0:1:867502" "" "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuy" "ce"
is perfectly fine.

However if you are doing names:
"Name" "userpassword" "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuy" "ce"
"AnotherName" "SomeOtherPassword" "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuy" "ce"
Is what you do. And in the client's computer he does this:
(open up the console before the game)
setinfo _pw "userpassword"
(now have him exit esf in order to save this in his config.cfg)

Its best just to add mp_plcatchup 0 to your autoexec.cfg and then edit your listenserver.cfg and server.cfg to add this line: exec autoexec.cfg (I have had some experiences where it didn't execute the autoexec)

*On a side note*
Thank you. For a while there I almost gave up on the server section thinking that nobody knew what they were doing. For once a person auctally spent the time to look up the problem and ask the CORRECT QUESTIONS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom