Help me choose a new video card.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
So I was looking for a good video card. Some of my friends told me to buy Geforce 9800, others told me to "double" my Gefore 9600 (use 2 video cards at the same time, dont remember how it's called, SDI or TDI or something like that). I need some advice, because I'm not good in this video card stuff. :p

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You mean SLI :p

That requires a SLI compatible MoBo.

But, just because I have one, I suggest getting a GF9800GT 1 Gb

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Ok, read some articles on the performance of Geforce 9800. Defenatly not getting it. Its even worse than 8800. I found GTX 260 good though. Atleast it will run GTA IV at almost max settings.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm also useing GTX 260 , And i'm running every single game on Max settings always, So i can recommend it :p But does it "fit" with your CPU and RAM etc. ?

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Nothing wrong with a 9800GT I get very good performance from it in fact I can play any games out maxed out @ 1280x1024 (monitor limitation).

The question you got to ask yourself though is do you have a PSU capable of running the gfx card to start with?

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Whell I guess it should fit. My specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 E8400 3GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
PSU is capable of running the card.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
How do you know the PSU is capable of running the card? Whats the specs of the PSU?

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
How do you know the PSU is capable of running the card? Whats the specs of the PSU?
Power: 550 W
35 amps on the 12 volt line.
GTX 260 needs 500 W power and 35 amps on the 12 volt line.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
that means you have 50W left for motherboard, dvd drive, cpu, harddisc, ...

Are you sure that your PSU is strong enough?
Whell, kinda think of it, Im not sure now. :/ With my current video card, I have 150 W left for other parts... Ok, im confused. :p

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
that means you have 50W left for motherboard, dvd drive, cpu, harddisc, ...

Are you sure that your PSU is strong enough?
Hehe, its not like that.

500W is recommended/minumum. No way that a gfx card needs 500w.

How about Ati's?

I have a Ati 4870 512mb, it runs everything on highest settings. Even GTA 4. (But GTA 4 actually uses more CPU than it uses gfx card)

They are cheaper than Nvidia's but they have more power than for the same price as Nvidia's.

I'm not a Ati fanboy or whatever you call it. But these HD48xx series are bloody good. HD4870 1GB should run everything.

If you want to give more money out then look at the HD4870 X2, HD4890 and HD4890 X2.

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Ati's performance is faster and cheaper atm. 4870x2 is undestrucable :laff:

Well, there is always better ones like 4890x2.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, hold your horses. First off, we need to know what type of monitor you have. Size and max resolution specifically - this makes a huge difference.

I personally have an ATI 4870 1gig. I run a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 resolution. I need a gig of ram for that many pixels. If you're running at around 1600x1024 resolution or lower, you're probably better off with a 512mb video card (there would be zero difference between the 512 and the 1 gig versions for you). Just because a video card performs better in benchmarks doesn't mean it's right for you! A 4870X2 is a waste of money because you will get very little bang for your buck. After about ~$220, the amount of performance per dollar you get drops drastically (my personal experience is that $150-$200 is the sweet spot). Unless you have a 30" monitor, you are lighting your money on fire and watching it burn.

Also, 550 watts is fine for your system as long as you don't overclock anything and your PSU is not some crap brand (although it still may be alright). PSUs perform very, very differently; just because it says it puts out 550 watts does not necessarily mean it will perform at the level for any reasonable period of time.

I'm guessing you bought something like a Dell or Gateway?

Last edited:
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Also, 550 watts is fine for your system as long as you don't overclock anything and your PSU is not some crap brand (although it still may be alright). PSUs perform very, very differently; just because it says it puts out 550 watts does not necessarily mean it will perform at the level for any reasonable period of time.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

I bought a cheap branded 550W PSU called Qtek or smething. After 4-5 months it gave up on my pc. So I brought it back and they gave me another one. Same story. After that I bought a 500W OCZ StealthXtreme or something close like that worked pretty good. I have a 750W OCZ now.

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Project Manager
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoever suggests an ATI card these days clearly has no idea about the drivers they provide, you wouldn't believe what a mess it is to get some stuff working with ATI. I can only advice against any ATI card till they managed to fix their drivers properly and get their stuff working with the up-to-date Extensions and not those dinosaur arb crap, for the ones who actually know what that means.

I'd probably try getting a nvidia GTX 275, as it has got a pretty decent price/performance.

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Whoever suggests an ATI card these days clearly has no idea about the drivers they provide, you wouldn't believe what a mess it is to get some stuff working with ATI. I can only advice against any ATI card till they managed to fix their drivers properly and get their stuff working with the up-to-date Extensions and not those dinosaur arb crap, for the ones who actually know what that means.

I'd probably try getting a nvidia GTX 275, as it has got a pretty decent price/performance.
I'm using my 4870 since it came out. I have to say that its a quality card.. very stable. But since I bought it when it just came out, I had the older bios version of it. (sapphire version) Which was bugged and BSOD all the time. Sapphire released a official update for it and they are selling it with the new bios in the shops right now and they work very good. Ati's drivers aint a mess. I dont know about which version you talk about but you have clearly no idea what your talking about :smile:. My 4870 still runs like a train.

Its up for Error to choose.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's true. ATi drivers are quite lackluster compared to nVidia. I've always been an ATi fanboy ever since I had an nVidia card that died after a month or so.

I've just found that in terms of hardware - ATi is number one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom