Guild Wars

Best answers
Well I picked this game up a couple of days ago, and wondered if anyone else has done the same. I've not had much time to play it, but I'm very impressed with what I've played so far. I'm especially liking that it doesn't take as long to feel like you've made progress in the game, which was one of my main gripes with WoW.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people think of the game. If anyone wants to join me in game, my name is Angrok Talban, I'm lv8 warrior/ranger :)

Best answers
I own it and its realley nice;)
I'm a lvl 8 mgician/necormancer
I play on the europe server my name is Digital Coma

The whole Party based gameplay with guilds and you own guild banner eg. is realyl cool:D

and ist "NO FEE" :D
so just buy the game and play
www.guildwars.com

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no fee = servers will go poo at one point maybe?

How will they get the funds to keep the servers online?

I reckon it'll be hordes of horrendiously expensive expansions =P

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, Orion--ArenaNet, who developed GW is composed of former Blizzard members. The Battle.net servers never charged money, but haven't gone poo. =)

In any case, I tried GW during the "E3 for Everyone" weekends, and I didn't really like it. Nice graphics, interesting teleportation system.. but certain classes were very overpowered and the game was just.. boring. =\ People say they've fixed the class balance, but to me, it's still not worth it. Especially not with WoW's Honor system out now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already know what it is. The payment system is simple. They release a large update, and if you wan to continue....pay it. If not, don't pay for it. No obligations.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the updates are only half the price of the origional software as well, and are planned for every 6 months :)

i like the game, the fact you dont have to pay is a huge plus, purely cos if i get bored, and dont play for a month, but then next month i think "hay ill play now" i dont have to mess about with repaying or reactivating an account. its all good :D

Best answers
Agreed, the lack of any kind of subscription fee is just the icing on the cake. I don't feel pressured into playing it to get my money's worth like I do with most MMO games. The only problem with the game I've seen so far, is that it's very hard to get a good group together. Either no one listens to requests, or when you do get into a group, they just stand around doing nothing.

What name do you go by Gir? I wouldn't mind finding a good bunch of people I can group with on the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive only been playing through the beta's havent installed my purchased copy yet, but ill let you know. i wont be playing much though to be honest (the beauty of the game XD)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Battle.net servers never charged money, but haven't gone poo.
That's because the Battle.net servers ARE poo. heh.

Either way, if the people who broke off and made Guild Wars are even remotely comprised of the Starcraft designers, the game is probably as unbalanced as the Republican vote in Congress is.

I don't know anything about the game though. Educate me. What's the combat like? What's the world like? A friend of mine recently left WoW for this game--she was an uppity ***** who barely played the actual game anyway, she just sat around and flirted with people for ****s and giggles. But the things she told me were that there were less idiots and it was free (of course she said nothing about the actual game and was just making excuses but that's neither here nor there; she's a whiny crybaby).

Also on a quick side note: It seems odd to me that the people who said that they felt it took too long to accomplish things in WoW are commenting that they are under level 10. In WoW, I've seen someone go from 1 to 20 in three hours with some help. I myself can get a new character to lv10 in under 2 hours easily. Unless that game's levels scale like, from 1-30 or something. Again, I don't know. Go into some detail man!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's only 20 levels in Guild Wars, as I recall. "Too long to accomplish things." If that's not the case in GW, then people are going to get bored mighty fast! =\

Best answers
Yeah, but I got bored with WoW because it took too long to accomplish things. I like that I can go on it for a short time, level up without much problem and get a few quests or missions done without it consuming my entire evening.

It seems odd to me that the people who said that they felt it took too long to accomplish things in WoW are commenting that they are under level 10.
Well I'm personally only low level because I haven't played it that much. I reckon maybe 8 or 9 hours overall in the past few days. The game definitely feels like it's got a faster pace to it than WoW, because most of the quests seem to have a bit more meaning to them rather than having a lot of quests that just seem like small errands to run for people. But the downside to this, seems to be that there are fewer quests overall. This doesn't bother me personally, as since I'm not paying monthly fee's, I don't expect it to last forever.

The combat is interesting in my opinion. It's similar to WoW but faster, and a little more realistic. For example, enemies can't melee attack you from 100 feet away. You have a skills bar similar to WoW's, but it's smaller, and you can only change skills at a main hub. It's interesting as it makes you think of the mission ahead before you leave a town, but it's quite frustrating when you've got a lot of skills. A better idea in my opinion would be to add more slots to the bar as you increase in level.

The world is beautiful. I think that's the best way to describe it. I've only seen two kinds of areas so far though. One place is a kind of picturesque grassy area with small villages and stuff. The other is a kind of barren wasteland.
I think this screenshot just about does it justice:

But the things she told me were that there were less idiots
It's been a while since I've played WoW, but unless something drastic has happened, then this is a blatant lie. I might just be unfortunate it who I've partied with, or the European servers might just coincidentally be full of *******s. Thankfully, because of the way that most of the world is instanced, you don't have to constantly put up with bull ****.

If you start playing this game expecting another WoW, you'll probably be sorely dissapointed. They aren't as similar as they appear. Which one is better in my opinion? Well, WoW probably just gets the edge. It has a better community, more varied class system and just generally more depth. But personal preference really could tip it either way. If you're not sure, I'd try and play it at a friends house first.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I saw some movies, and some pictures such as above, and i must say that the game really does interest me, i might get this game soon since you don't have to pay monthly to play online, i do hope though that my pc can play it smootly :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i remember when i first saw that set of waterfalls.... my god it was breathtaking...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm being torn apart mentally xD
I already have WoW and love it, but I'm thinking about also getting GW. I played the open beta a while back, I remember it looked great and had original gameplay. A friend of mine is also thinking about getting GW. Is there anyone else here who plays both of these games?

Best answers
I play them both. The good thing is that because Guild Wars is free, there's no pressure to go on it all the time, so you'll not be as torn between them both as you might think.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's good to hear. I think I'm gonna get GW sooner or later.

Preferably sooner =)

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ohh gonna have to buy this one fo sho!

I mean, no monthly fee, and it still looks so good, that's just awesome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
9.2 at Gamespot.

...Almost as good as WoW. :)

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
X said:
9.2 at Gamespot.

...Almost as good as WoW. :)
Actually, if a MMORPG is free, and gets a 9.2, and they say its ALLMOST as good as WoW, then its BETTER then WoW.

I mean, who is crazy enough to pay so much per month for a game?

(hides for cover since allot of crazy people here do)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same old story witht his pay to play bit. Warcraft gets maintained every week, the server caches get flushed, it has full time GM support, and has 1.5 million players in North America alone. It takes a lot to keep all that running.

If you think 15 dollars a month is a lot, well...all I'll say is, I'll ask again if that's a lot of money when you aren't living on a 10 dollar a week allowance. Seriously--this point of view always changes once people have a more adult-like income.

Besides, my view of it is, if you're not willing to pay money to the gaming industry to help keep it going, you can't be a very dedicated gamer, and probably just kazaa all your games and have a mod chip in your PS2 and all those other stereotypical negative "ungrateful grabass" traits.

Getting back on topic: Isn't Guild Wars all instanced zones anyway? Like, even the cities and such? And I still don't know what the combat's like, either.

I also don't get this "you pay for WoW so you feel pressure to go on it all the time" talk. I pay for it but it gets withdrawn from my bank account and honestly even unemployed $15 dollars a month is absolutely NOTHING. I spend more than that a DAY to stay alive and travel anyway. It being free monthly is a big selling point but at some point sooner or later it'll collapse in on itself and you'll be paying. Trust me. There's NO WAY IN HELL that Guild Wars is going to keep running smoothly if their subscriber base goes up too high; they won't be able to afford more bandwidth or servers.

Also, I have a quick question: Who made the game, anyway? Blizzard has all the Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo franchises to bring in money on top of the insane cashflow from WoW subscriptions; what I want to know is what these guys who did Guild Wars have coming in that they can afford to just go out there with 10-20 servers and call it even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom