Global Warming: Fact or Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're all peer-pressured fools! Enough is enough! The evidence Brim and I have put forth is genuine as apposed to the rest of this environmentalist propaganda. You think because you say there's no debate that it's true??? You think that because everyone on the ****ing planet has been lead to believe this crock of bull**** that it's automatically justified??? Listen to yourselves for Christ sake!!! All I've heard is the same baseless bull**** about the weather acting strange lately, that "all scienists believe this" which is bull**** since you can't back it up with real evidence.

You think you're all qualified to say idiotic **** like, "I think I would be naive to say that global warming or some version of it doesn't exist. Something is happening" just because you hear other idiots spouting the same **** because your town experienced a heatwave (oh, the ****ing horror! It's called Summer *******!)

Just because every Joe Blow accepts something doesn't mean what they beieve isn't a crock. Stop pointing to websites and state actual facts an sources. MAN I hate people! How do some dumbasses manage to breathe? Choke already!

@KarrdeKNR: Oh, so all scientists who post anti-Global Warming data are paid flunkies from industry? Wow, look out polluters! Detective Dip****, Private **** for hire is here! Tell me, if you were an honest scientist who had discovered information that was contrary to popular envionmentalist bliefs, woudl yu apreciate having such baseless, ignorant and disgusting statements made at you like what you stated? Find a reality check and stay there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Simmer down a little, J-Dude. You're getting a bit too excited. Neither of you have cited any actual "evidence" by the way, you've only expounded on concepts found in Crichton's book. In fact it's mostly been the respondants who have provided links to information and data... that's what evidence is. If you want to dismiss it as hokey science I guess that's up to you, but the majority of us aren't basing our responses on word of mouth BS, as you seem to enjoy claiming. Read a little closer. Karrde makes a perfectly valid point based on fact, as well. The literature is out there.

Clearly this is some kind of genius conspiracy perpetrated by Gore (an android puppet of the Illuminati and the Freemasons, you always knew it), with the sole end of attempting to waste billions in world resources to stem something which doesn't actually exist... and to keep the populace in fear.

Glaciers are melting, temperatures are rising, water levels are rising, weather is going a bit screwy, that much is evident. Whether it's largely due to us, or the planet, or both, the answer to your question is: FACT. Global warming is happening.

If you think global warming is a fear tactic used to control the masses (control them from doing WHAT, I don't know), well that's silly man. Nobody is even doing anything about it. Nobody will until sheisse hits the fan, anyway.

Regardless, your zeal tells me you're not really one to be swayed anyhow.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Simmer down a little, J-Dude. You're getting a bit too excited. I don't think either of you have cited any actual "evidence," you've only expounded on concepts found in Crichton's book. In fact it's mostly been the respondants who have provided links to information.

Clearly this is some kind of genius conspiracy perpetrated by Gore (an android puppet of the Illuminati and the Freemasons, you always knew it), with the sole end of attempting to waste billions in world resources to stem something which doesn't actually exist... and to keep the populace in fear.

Glaciers are melting, temperatures are rising, water levels are rising, weather is going a bit screwy, that much is evident. Whether it's largely due to us, or the planet, or both, the answer to your question is: FACT. Global warming is happening.

If you think global warming is a fear tactic used to control the masses (control them from doing WHAT, I don't know), well that's silly man. Nobody is even doing anything about it. Nobody will until sheisse hits the fan, anyway.
No, I'm saying that a bunch of *******s at the IPCC ****ed up something major and is too proud to rectify their mistake. Heres some responses to your claims:

Glaciers: Actually, only about 70 or so glaciers are actually recorded, and there are hundreds of thousands worldwide. Some are receding, some are growing. Nobody can say for sure, likely becuase they're all doing their own thing based off local climate.

Temeperatures: Read what I said about temperature records a few posts ago. Nobody accounts for the urban heat island effect which is a major factor and flaw in their data.

Weather: Unseasonable weather happens. Big whoop. There has actually been a decrease in extreme weather events over the last thirty years. Look at annual hurricane records.

No, Global Warming is not a fact. The sooner people stop being so unmoveably final on everything they only know about from watching "The Day After Tomorrow", the better.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure humans have had an impact on the Earth's climate, but as far as I'm concerned, Global Warming is as natural as Global Cooling. "Global Warming" is in fact affecting our entire solar system, and I highly doubt we can be held responsible for that.

That said, there's no reason why we shouldn't try to lower our emissions, and find alternative sources of energy. It'd benefit the Earth, yes, but most of all, it'd benefit humanity. Even if Global Warming was some kind of super conspiracy brought forth by the Illuminati who actually answer to the Greys who are trying to create human/Grey hybrids to save their species, but are constantly being attacked by 12 foot tall lizards, we'd benefit from changing our source of energy from oil to something more available, less devastating to the environment, and not being controlled by "our sworn enemies" or what have you.

It would be ignorant to dismiss Global Warming as nothing more than a fad. When something can potentially destroy society or civilization as we know it (which might not be a bad thing...), it is best to be pessimistic and start forming contingency plans.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I think people are more afraid of terrorists than global warming...If people were blind with fear, you would see Hybrids everywhere and Hummers illegal.

The 'debate' over global warming hasn't interested me as other ones for some reason, becuase I admit I think there is just think the side that proves it has a lot more/better evidence than the side that goes against it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I think people are more afraid of terrorists than global warming...If people were blind with fear, you would see Hybrids everywhere and Hummers illegal.

The 'debate' over global warming hasn't interested me as other ones for some reason, becuase I admit I think there is just think the side that proves it has a lot more/better evidence than the side that goes against it.
True, people are less worried now, but it's still a problem. But no, the side opposing actually has the facts and figures which show us what's really hapenning. The main reason people believe in Global Warming is because of the hype which never died down. I can hardly go through an hour of the news without being mentioned. Repetition makes nothing true, but the perpetuation of global warming every day rapid fire has effectively brainwashed people into the mentality of: "Well, it's all over the news and everyone seems to believe it, so it must be true right?" Wrong, and it saddens me to no end that people thnk like this, especailly in America.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it hilarious that pro-Global Warming supporters used the exact opposite of your arguement to try to say the media was working in association with the govt. to cover it up. Now they're getting some publicity, and their opposition is complaining that we're hearing too much about the subject.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From the man who brought you Jurassic Park and Sphere...

I'm as much a Crichton fan as the next, but I'll take the word of the IPCC over Crichton.

Best answers
Wow, so much for a gentlemanly conversation

I'm surprised at a few in here throwing around their words with certain authority and general terms describing scientific facts. You guys are shutting out the whole entire possibility of anything else going on here that you wont even consider something different. I'm not saying temperatures aren't rising, that's a very good probability, because temperatures rise and fall and do so gradually on a large scale when viewed over time.

Everybody keeps saying that there is no conversation, that global warming is a fact. Tell me what global warming is, you use the term so much I think we all should know what you mean when you say it. Sure there is "mounting evidence" for the theory of global warming and "only a few" say it aint so.

Then I guess we should go back to the theory of geocentricism, since God knows that the 15th century philosophers and astrologers of space overwhelmingly believed that the earth was the center of our universe, and that anyone who said otherwise was a heretic and locked away, even though today if you said the earth was the center of the universe, a 4 year old would laugh at you.

I just want you guys to think for yourselves. Everyone here is talking like they have spent a semester studying long term effects of pollution on the ecosystem, and long term weather patterns. Sorry, I'm not convinced. Don't be fooled into think that I myself consider it. Like I said I've done reading, and I've done reasoning, which is why I believe what I believe. I am no regurgitation spout for Micheal Crichton, so don't dismiss my thoughts as such.

And more to the point of trying to keep my own thread in bounds, I'm not attacking anyone here, and neither should anyone else. It is supposed to be a free roaming discussion of the facts THEREIN. Don't bash ideas because of where they come from, bash them through reasonable arguments.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'm just going to say fact. they knew this was a problem 50 years ago, i dont mean 50 years ago they were like hmm this might get bad, 50 years ago the levels of co2 and green house gases in our atmosphere were very high as well. now they are ALOT higher.

^^

and i did have a semester of geology :p

but if you want to go watch a semi biased video go watch al gores movie an inconvenient truth.

the good news is alot more countries are working on ways to effectively reduce harmfull green house gases.

america not being one of them, but i think 9 or 12 states are working towards it.

Best answers
I could use a little global warming over here. It's freezing.

I think Global Warming is real but the temp is calculated to only change like 3 degrees Farenheit in 50 years so I could really care less. Unless you live in Greenland because the ice might melt then it's probably not a big problem.
What people should be worried about is bacteria and mutations in them like teberculosis(TB)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Geocentrism has been proven to be incorrect. Global Warming has not. To say that you know more than just about every scientist in favor of this theory (although we might be crossing the line that separates theory from fact fairly soon), is asinine. Like you, they believe what they believe for a reason; not because they're trying to be part of a fad. They've looked at the data, they've studied it, and in their informed opinion, Global Warming exists, and they believe it is the fault of humanity.

I believe Global Warming exists too. I'm just not convinced it's entirely our fault.

@ Zeronightmare: During the 70's (I think) everyone agreed that Global Cooling was occurring. Now we're experiencing Global Warming.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Put this into perspective: The IPCC (the commission who reports on the state of the environment) is where the world gets most of it's "confirmation" that global warming is occuring. Well, here's why you can't trust them. Their policy when assembling their report which they release every few years is to create a summary before the reearch is actually conducted on what the officials "predict" the results will be. If their research contradicts what they prdicted, then the RESULTS OF THE RESEARCH will be changed to mirror the summary, and not the other way around.

For instance, the big spur which has most people think Global Warming to be incontrovertible is the IPCC report released in the early 90s'. Well, their prediction was that they would find a discernable human impact on the global climate. But the actual scientists who researched this returned with their findings which stated that they could NOT find a discernable human impact on the climate. Well, since this data didn't fit their summary, the research was re-written to reflect their original summary, and the rest is history. Bull****, but history.
@Optimus Prime: Remember reading this? Take a look at the unaltered reports and tell me you stand by the IPCC. I for one, prefer it when people are honest.

@All: Remember, I'm not saying Global Warming can't happen, I'm just saying what we've put out is far from dangerous. Look at Venus, that's the effect of the Greenhouse Effect gone stupidly wrong. But then again, the planet's whole atmosphere is C02. I'm pretty certain that once we starts making a breakthrough or two in energy efficiency, implement hydrogen powered vehicles and perhaps find a way to filter emissions and prevent them from reaching the air outside, that we'll have very little to worry about as far as reaching the point where the greenhouse effect can actually become a health risk. I sa we steady the course and keep on a lookout for green thechnology which is as, nearly as, or more efficient as what we currently use.

I think it'll be satisfying to see the highways start becoming less and less taxing on the lungs as we upgrade to green.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I mean, the automobile isn't even a hundred years old yet. A blink of an eye, to the planet. And already things have changed drastically. Add in all the other things we do--cut forests down, use nuclear materials for power, fight wars, drill for minerals and oil--and you have a culmination of things that are happening vastly too quickly for nature to course correct.
I just wanna mention, nuclear power isn't half as bad as its made out to be, the waste is the only problem, nuclear power is the green-est most earth friendly, efficient and sustainable resource we have, its just the stigma attached to it that gives it a bad name, that and possibility of melt down. >_>

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just wanna mention, nuclear power isn't half as bad as its made out to be, the waste is the only problem, nuclear power is the green-est most earth friendly, efficient and sustainable resource we have, its just the stigma attached to it that gives it a bad name, that and possibility of melt down. >_>
No kidding. That's what I've meant before about environmentalists having good intentions and not knowing their stuff. This kind of ignorance is abound in our society. I mean, even when you used to play Sim City, would you ever use a Nuclear Power Planet? I was always advised not to because of the meltdown probability, but that's only hapenned in like two places, Chernobyl and that one on a small island (forget the name, but they featured it once on Viva La Bam).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So a fiction author's rants in a book, and Simcity, are the sources for this furious rage burning deep inside you to do nothing to protect the environment?

Clearly you must know more about this than anyone on the planet, because you read one book by an author who makes **** up for a living, and a wikipedia edited mostly by people who agree with.

Clearly those of us who've seen every major news event passing through worldwide news wires for the last seven years wouldn't know a thing about any scientific studies done, or any flagrant weather oddities around the world, or even the current state of emissions laws.

Either way, again I point out it would be smarter to err on the side of caution, and try to fix the problem--regardless of fault.

Best answers
Geocentrism has been proven to be incorrect. Global Warming has not. To say that you know more than just about every scientist in favor of this theory (although we might be crossing the line that separates theory from fact fairly soon), is asinine. Like you, they believe what they believe for a reason; not because they're trying to be part of a fad. They've looked at the data, they've studied it, and in their informed opinion, Global Warming exists, and they believe it is the fault of humanity.
You prove my point with your first statement, it HAS been proven, do you really think that at the time of the ideas conception it had been proven? As a historian (yes a card holding historian with a degree and everything) I have noticed that mankind rarely recognizes mistakes when they happen, only after the fact. Just something to think about.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i havent read the past ten posts but im gonna post on what i saw on the "C02" phenomena

its true that our C02 emissions are very small indeed, but there was something large that balanced any kind of overdrive in C02 that we are currently destroying. im getting tired of repeating this (the fourth time this week), but as long as we continue to cut down rainforests without even a second thought we will significantly heighten the C02 buildup.

plants, especially trees, work as a converter. they break down C02, using the carbon for their own energy and dispelling the oxygen that combines with other airborne components that create air. OR they form together to create OZONE. once we take all this **** away we start unbalancing it the cycle.

by cutting down the rainforests and forests we start heightening the ammount of C02 to just a small fraction to alot more significant of a number. this is all just common sense by now, exactly the type of answer that was suggested for this thread.

just to think, we could probably be avoiding this problem if the logging companies wouldnt be cheap-asses and just replant the ****ing trees. now someone respond to this with a ridiculous theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom