Global Warming: Fact or Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even IF there was no thing as Global Warming it wouldn't mean it's harmless to blow all that **** into the atmosphere, burn the woods and pollute the rivers.
There is absolutely no chance that the things we do on this planet won't affect it.
Even if the crazy weather right now is not caused by us, we WILL have an effect on the planet and it won't be positive.

Best answers
Obviously many of you aren't reading my posts, or at least not responding to them. Pride, I'm hurt by your remarks which are meant to make me look like a fool who has read, seen, observed, lived nothing other than a book. I have never once said in this thread, pollute more, plans to reign in pollution and find alternative energy sources are stupid, or there has been absolutely no change in weather, climate, or anything of the sort in the past decade, century, millennium, etc. I'm not an idiot for christs sake so stop acting like I'm one. And I'm not picking people out here, many of you who have posted in favor of or denial of are not even talking about the subject, you're just trying to win by making the opposition look stupid. That's the worst way to construct an argument.

There is a hype. Things don't make it to TV if they don't have any hype. Is the hype well founded? That's a question to seek. Quit saying "Global Warming has been proven...almost...soon" Define Global Warming and all its facets. What has been proven. A 3 degree change Fahrenheit in average temp over the next 100 years. If you want me to believe that, first tell me exactly what temperature it will be at it's highest in 3 weeks, and be correct. Then I will say that you might be able to give me a reasonable temperature average for next year, 100yrs from now...piss on that, no one can tell you that I don't care how many years of weather science they have been studying, it's impossible.

No one has provided me with a good argument so far, other than those posting links to things others have said. Don't assault me. Assault my argument, with good argument.

And Agamemnon reread my post, I wasn't saying that Global Warming has been proven false, I was talking about geocentricism and how it could be put in relation with current theories of today. Read the post, read it again, then respond

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Geocentrism has been proven to be incorrect. Global Warming hasn't. Just because something can possibly be proven wrong, doesn't mean it is. Your point is moot. I could easily say because there's a possibility that Global Warming exists, that we should act as if it does (and we'd be better off if we did, too).

When an oil company like Exxon, who has spent quite a large amount of money trying to spread the idea that Global Warming is completely false, comes forth and says it exists, but we shouldn't do anything drastic because of it, you know it has some validity.

Don't pay attention to me. I'm just some guy. Pay attention to Exxon.

Best answers
You are saying that because there is a possibility that "Global Warming" that we should act as if it does. And even though I don't agree with that, I still think that we should act as if it does.

This isnt an argument about whether or not we should do what we can to lessen our impact on the environment. It is an argument that we don't know what is best for our environment. It is an argument about questioning what you are told, if nothing else just so that you can fully understand the point you are taking, which many people don't. The overwhelming majority isn't always right, otherwise there would have been no Holocaust. Yes I just compared the Holocaust and Global Warming.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm saying it's better to prepare for the worst, rather than pretend nothing is wrong only for it to be exactly as we feared.

We know the why, we know the how, we know the what and we know the where. We're just not 100% certain about the when.

To compare the Holocaust to Global Warming is ridiculous, because the overwhelming majority didn't and doesn't agree with either. It is only recently that people are beginning to step back and say, "Hey, this Global Warming thing might actually be real." The people of Earth did exactly what you're telling us to do right now: question what we are being told, and decide for ourselves based on the facts. At first, no one cared about the subject because the media wasn't really covering it or doing anything with it. More people began to take an active interest in it, and the media followed suit. So now that we've questioned our government's stance on the subject, and decided that they're wrong, you're telling us to forget our journey, to believe what our we were originally being told, and, in essence, to remain ignorant of the situation. We can no longer deny the facts and neither can oil companies or the governments of the world. Neither should you.

I, Agamemnon, challenge you to question what you're told, what you've read; to question your beliefs, the logic and reasoning for believing what you do. Forget about us. We've survived and continue to do so. We are only trying to do what's best. Take your own advice, because I have a feeling you've been "informed" by disinformation.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this isnt an arguement at all.

the earth is heating up. on a global scale.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Brim, none of us have the credentials, or the experience, to counter your arguments without using the arguments of others as our basis. Unless there's any PhD's in climatology in the room, who have done their own studies, and worked with their own aggregate data, then I apologize.

Best answers
I'm just trying to toss ideas around, not get yelled down at. My comparison of global warming and the holocaust were in the single aspect of, majority of the population of the area (i'm personally referring to the US) is in the belief that it is right, was simply making a point, and even pointedly exposed how ridiculous it was. But thanks for overstating the obvious.

Just wanted to talk to someone about my ideas, guess no one wants to. Might as well end this before it becomes a flame war as my point in the thread was never really gotten. Hard to discuss science when no one's a scientist, including me. Please close it Opty or someone

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Evolution is never history its a cycle of changes that continues to happen from in the past, present and definatly into the future.
The thing is, A bunch of scientists took a trip to Antarctica, To study how much carbon was in the air thousands of years ago. (Bubbles of the air back then are frozen into the ice) And the results indeed pointed out that we have allot of Carbon Dioxide in our air in comparison.
Another thing You must remember the planet has had Droughts, Floods, Ice ages, etc. Its only natural that those cycles continue, Just if we wish to prolong that cycle we might as well stop using everything.

For every tree we destroy, In my opinion 2 more should be planted to take its place. I used to work at greening Australia, And areas that we totally transformed were amazing, You see we have an awesome coastline down here at Port Lincoln South Australia, But years ago farmers used to let they're sheep graze right up on top of cliffs, in Sheok forests etc. Which absolutely obliterated the environment, So in turn with some direct Seeding (A machine which hard plants a seed into the ground) the area's that were desert are now back to they're original state, How long does it take for this kind of transformation? Anywhere from 10-30 years, Sometimes if the ground is fertile (Which is a rare thing in Australia) It may take 5 years.
Trees are the lifeblood of the planet, Then come the insects, The insects pollinate etc, Other animals eat the insects, larger animal eats that animal... Which all eventually leads to our dinner plate.
Mind you with todays farming practices...

Its a little overboard the way they have been acting, They are portraying it as "An end of the world" Experience, when In my opinion it is not, we will just more than likely see allot more extremes in future.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Glaciers: Actually, only about 70 or so glaciers are actually recorded, and there are hundreds of thousands worldwide. Some are receding, some are growing. Nobody can say for sure, likely becuase they're all doing their own thing based off local climate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Glacier_Mass_Balance_Map.png

Can you spot the trend? It would involve your eyes being open, so I'll save you the trouble of opening them and tell you that the majority are shrinking.

There is a hype. Things don't make it to TV if they don't have any hype. Is the hype well founded? That's a question to seek. Quit saying "Global Warming has been proven...almost...soon" Define Global Warming and all its facets. What has been proven. A 3 degree change Fahrenheit in average temp over the next 100 years. If you want me to believe that, first tell me exactly what temperature it will be at it's highest in 3 weeks, and be correct. Then I will say that you might be able to give me a reasonable temperature average for next year, 100yrs from now...piss on that, no one can tell you that I don't care how many years of weather science they have been studying, it's impossible.
You're comparing average global temperatures to the long range forecast? Smooth.

I'd have to agree with OP. None of us are climatologists, so we are incapable of proving anything one way or another. That's why we listen to the people who are - people who have spent their lives learning about the subject, and indubitably know more than all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom