Getting tired? 1.2 alternate attack technique suggested. Think fatigue.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't posted a suggestion since the Buu chocolate bar thing if I remember right, so I've decided to put another one down for debate. This idea is just a different version of one of my suggestions that has been around the forums since 1.2 melee was discussed.

It was suggested at one time (by myself), initially in the original 1.2 thread from way back when, and then again (by others) more recently, that "special moves" be programmed into advanced melee, unique to each character, as scene in games like Street Fighter. Well I'm back suggesting it again, but to a very limited extent, with a very specific purpose behidn it. Here's the concept:

A very simple, very quick, straight attack combo that can be executed with a quick, short series of key strokes, that can be blocked just as easily. I'm not talking about "light Down, strong up, medium down, down right..." etc. I mean something closer to "light up punch, light up punch, tap punch" to trigger a small close range ki blast attack of some kind. I'm not getting too specific here, the general idea is to create a quick key combo which will unleash an alternate attack. Not a super attack, just a different attack than you can perform with just punches or kicks.

Now what would be the use of that? Wouldn't it be easy to block? Well, yeah, it would be easy to block. Just block both of the high-punch presses and it's blocked, but that's true of any melee attack. If this attack actually hit the opponent though its objective would be to shear off a hunk of ki from your opponent instead of just damaging their health. I mean, every other attack in the game does health damage, why not make a tactical close range advanced melee technique designed to damage your opponent's ki instead? You could make it a close ki blast to the chest, or a knee to the stomach, or whatever animation you want for whatever character is doing it, but it would have the same effect no matter who used it which would be to do some ki damage.

Now what's the practical application of damaging your opponent's ki instead of their health (aka making them fatigued)? Well advanced melee costs ki. Yes, battling one on one, throwing punches and kicks, as well as blocking punches and kicks, is going to cost you ki in 1.2 . How much? Not much, just a little, but enough to make it something of a factor if you're really low. What happens when you run out? I assume you get smashed back 1.1 style, or at least that is one theory I've heard. Regardless of what it is, you get punished for running out of ki in the middle of a fight. Well most of the time you aren't going to run out of ki. It doesn't take so much that you will have to turtle up and stay completely charged up to win a fight; not by any means- the cost is very low. However, it would become a factor if you were caught off gaurd and hit by a fatigue-inducing energy attack when you were already caught unprepared for melee (without having charged up before getting hit). If the blast took you down to 0 ki or you drifted down to 0 afterwords during the fight, you get pimp-slapped away, and your attacker has the advantage of charging or firing a generic beam or something like that much like you can now in 1.1 .

Summary:

A very, very simple combonation (like two keys and a execution button like a plain kick or punch) which would be blockable like any other attack (so as not to be abused), but if unblocked, would damage ki instead of health. Suggested just to add a pinch of variety to the melee system without loading down players with 8 button combos that unleash massive explosions and rain sulfer from the sky. It's designed to be mixed in with other attacks, not fired off alone of course, so as to make it a tactical technique. Obviously there are other applications of this kind of thing too, but I'll suggest those later if this idea gets any support.

Best answers
sooo you're trying to make ESF, DMZ??? Well i heard that the ESF team takes things from DMZ and visa-versa. And I heard that the combos will stay on DMZ.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

What?

I suggested a single alternate attack that would act just like all of the other melee attacks but would do a different kind of damage. I suggested absolutely nothing like DMZ's combo system. The only similarity is that you would have to do a two button combonation to fire off that attack. I chose the two button combo thing so that people wouldn't be able to abuse it and launch 6 of those attacks in the same charging session. Requiring you to set up two light attacks first takes longer than just pressing some fatigue attack button.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is very well thought out, and I support it whole-heartedly. I think that little bit of strategy would be perfect to completely enhance the whole games experiance. It's not brain-bustingly confusing or spammingly simple.

I must say this is one very good idea, and I think it should get a very serious look.

Best answers
Great Idea. How about if they run out of ki when you are hitting them them with an attack that takes KI away it then hurts their health?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I liked this idea when you first suggested it, I like it now. Allthough i do remember the team saying they might consider adding special moves to characters.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't expand it like my original idea because people would compare it to Dragonmod Z but I'd still like to see a few unique special moves thrown in per character, or at least two. Perhaps later on. I'll post that suggestion if I'm still thinking about in on Saturday.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this would be an excelent special move for an android. if they are ever added.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nice suggestion ... but I don't think this is for B1.2 ... we'll complete the current things ... then release ...
maybe such move will be in B1.3 (dunno)

but you were talking about "no 8 button combos" ... maybe you've missed that the charging time of a combo it just raised for testing .. it will be much shorter in release ... I don't think you'll even be able to press 8 buttons
but I also think that these movees won't be such easy ... we have 8 directions * 3 powers * punch/ kick ... this makes 48 possible attacks

burning KI ... I don't like it because this never happened in DBZ ... I never saw anyone you burned or sucked enemies KI ...
were you suggestion Nejis 64 Combo ??? close all tenkentsus ???
I think if we'll add such special moves, they will just suck the attackers KI (and alot of it)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nretep said:
but you were talking about "no 8 button combos" ... maybe you've missed that the charging time of a combo it just raised for testing .. it will be much shorter in release ... I don't think you'll even be able to press 8 buttons
but I also think that these movees won't be such easy ... we have 8 directions * 3 powers * punch/ kick ... this makes 48 possible attacks

burning KI ... I don't like it because this never happened in DBZ ... I never saw anyone you burned or sucked enemies KI ...
were you suggestion Nejis 64 Combo ??? close all tenkentsus ???
I think if we'll add such special moves, they will just suck the attackers KI (and alot of it)

No no, I didn't mean to suggest that there were 8 button combos in melee, I was just exaggerating for effect. I know the charge time is much lower.

And burning ki did happen in DBZ during melee. Ki is just energy, and if you run out, you die. If you get knocked around enough you get tired, you lose ki. You throw enough punches you get tired. You sucker punch someone in the right place and it can take a lot of stamina out of them without hurting them significantly. That's more like what I was talking about.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
another thing is its kind of a waste cause a person can recharge a whole bar of ki in like 1 second so i mean if ki was harder to regenerate like dmz would be usefull but in esf just not that usefull when u could just kill someone instead

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Could you just kill someone instead? The move would only take about as long to pull off as a medium punch or kick, and it might knock out enough ki to take away your opponent's chance to return damage to you after you've finished charging and throwing your attacks. It would be a tactical thing you'd just use when it was opportune to do so, like against somebody with low ki, to drain them to where you can send them into a wall and chase after them instead of sitting around while they throw more punches at you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It takes a short time to recharge ki; but it takes a short time to regain vision after getting hit by a burning attack too. Everything counts...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
strange indeed, very strange.....

I made this suggestion myself to and then Nretep said it was a bad idea, and pain showed his NO, and now suddenly they like the idea, strange indeed

Anyways i like this idea, it would add more of a combo feeling in it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your idea probably wasnt thought out enough if i gave you the no.... ive suggested some good things too but the threads just died out >_<

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hibiki said:
another thing is its kind of a waste cause a person can recharge a whole bar of ki in like 1 second so i mean if ki was harder to regenerate like dmz would be usefull but in esf just not that usefull when u could just kill someone instead
I just want to point out again that the point wouldn't be to make him charge for half a second longer, the point would be to bring him down to zero so that you could smash him out of melee with the opportunity to use a beam or take chase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom