Gears of War

Best answers
Why buy an Xbox 360 when you can play it when it comes to pc? :D The latest nVidia drivers (not officially released yet) have a profile for Gears of War. Yay nVidia for leaking information

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because it seems that it will most probably be Vista only :p

Plus you have to wait ages for it to come out.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And because it will suck on PC, just like Halo did.
Eh...Halo was basically the same thing as the Xbox version, except with better controls and additional content. Some people had fps issues, but those were resolved long ago (unless you have a crappy vid card).

Hell, If Gears of War turns out like the pc version of Halo, I might even pick it up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but part of these games' appeal on the console is that the AI, weapon damage, etc. is designed around the limitations of the controller, the slow turning rates, etc.

With the precision offered on a PC, Gears of War would probably be ruined; headshots all the time, perfect shots with missiles, perfect shots with grenades, etc.

Halo on the PC was not a bad port at all, but the slow movement and the thick-headed AI (even by crappy AI standards) was no match for me once I had the precision of a mouse.

Granted, Gears is a different animal and it will probably be very good. But I think it would just be different. The satisfaction of those good shots will be gone, almost every shotgun round will be fatal, etc.

The added options will probably be well worth a purchase though. And the mod potential...man, I was I could make a Warhammer mod for that gameplay....

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They could always keep the sensitivity fairly low, in order to give you that "I'm 250 lbs on muscle and I'm wielding a 15 lb gun" feel and, unless it's a horrible port, I'm sure they'd up the A.I. so they'd keep up with the players.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
granted gears of war mods would be cool...

...but thats about all the pc could bring to the GoW table

and a little better multiplayer interface/chatzone thing

i like it fine the way it is without hacks and what not.

and i dont think it would be as good on a computer, with people stopping to type and what not. and for those casual people like me gow on a keyboard wouldnt nearly be as precise as a controller

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The PC version would be for people not willing to shell out the cash for a 360 just for one or two games. Like myself. It would be the same thing as the 360 version, except with added content (even a new mission or two), and better controls for people who prefer the keyboard + mouse over the 360 controller.

Won't hurt anyone unless people feel left out because they don't have the content PC gamers get, or have to pay for that content.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'd rather pay 400 dollars for a 360 and a few games than 1400+ dollars for the computer required to play GoW

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And I'd rather pay 50 bucks than buy something I'll never use. No one is asking you to play the PC version. It's coming out, and that's good news for anyone who has a pc able to run next-gen games.

Best answers
its so unreal how good this game is with 3rd person to first person its so intractive bedt game of the yeat

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Great patch just came out...

...fixes almost all the online voice and lag problems including the infamous host shotgun. heh, all the hosts with the BS big scores on IGN are *****ing like crazy, hahahaha!!

There will be two new maps coming out tonight at 1am, according to IGN. They are odd sort of objective-based maps, I think.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thanks for the update pride. if your on we'll have to play.

any hint at new weapons yet?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o: finally, no more shottynubhosts ftw

The objective mish's sound pretty intresting, *thinks UT2004 style*

Best answers
I love the new maps. Also, the patch update has reallly made them and GOW overall, much more enjoyable for me. $60 has never felt so well spent. But yeah, as I posted elsewhere, the " Old Bones " is my favorite of the two. I thinks its designed pretty well all around. The " Raven Down " map is pretty decent as well. It provides alot of shielding--there's no other guns available for pick-up. The teams start off almost scattered--basically, as it implied in the trailer, it truely is the perfect map for fast tactical action.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What exactly do you do on the new maps? I was under the impression that they were made not as straight DM-style maps.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good things and bad...

Epic Games announced today it will roll out an update for Gears of War tomorrow, Tuesday January 9, 2007, ahead of the release of the Map Pack 1.

Here is a list of what was addressed in this update:

* Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480
* Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress
* Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
* Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
* Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
* Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
* Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
* Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
* Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
* Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
* Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
* Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
* Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
* Added additional cheat detection code
* Additional housekeeping updates

bold = sucks

underline = good

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The grenade tagging was pissing me off. I'm glad they fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom