Gas Mileage

Best answers
Gearheads... i need your help. I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport that gets TERRIBLE gas mileage. I was wondering if i could buy new stuff for it to increase the mileage at all. New sparkplugs, air filter, oil?

Ive already checked google, and all that gave me was "driving tips". I dont need driving tips.... so that was no help.

So anyone care to help me out at all?

Best answers
Cheapest thing to do is replace your air filter. I did it on my Nova, cost me 8 bucks and I got about 3-5 more mpg.

Ask around for a reliable, honest car place. Have them check your exhaust for any holes. I know what it's like living in Michigan, and the salt they put on the roads can really eat your car. Other than that I can't think of anything else, I'm not really a car person.

As far as driving goes, it makes a big difference to not drive as fast. Go the speed limit, and don't floor it after every red light. Fast acceleration uses more gas, so basically, just try taking it slower.

Best answers
Cheapest thing to do is replace your air filter. I did it on my Nova, cost me 8 bucks and I got about 3-5 more mpg.

Ask around for a reliable, honest car place. Have them check your exhaust for any holes. I know what it's like living in Michigan, and the salt they put on the roads can really eat your car. Other than that I can't think of anything else, I'm not really a car person.

As far as driving goes, it makes a big difference to not drive as fast. Go the speed limit, and don't floor it after every red light. Fast acceleration uses more gas, so basically, just try taking it slower.
Ok yea... i figured a nice top-quality air filter would be good. But what about Sparkplugs? would it be worth it to buy some top-quality Iridium Plugs?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Yeah, The spark plugs would help, I went and got platinum Spark plugs, Which I scored for next to nothing off a friend, And I will never look back! Before that I used spark plugs with copper insulation and what not, They worked great as well.
Chang your Fuel filter, And don't bother changing your oil filter, do that every time you service it. And I noticed with my Holden Commodore, that it was more fuel economical Using Premium Unleaded instead of normal unleaded, If you don't wish to use premium just use some normal un-leaded and run some injector cleaner through it.

Octane booster also helps save fuel, As you don't have to accelerate hard to get to the required speed, Which in turn saves fuel.

I get a huge bottle of octane booster donated to me, to use on the burnout car that me and a few mates built, Not to mention free Fuel thanks to our sponser :)

Also I'm not aware of the prices of LPG Gas over in the states, but would it be worth getting LPG put onto your car? You loose a bit of economy, And power, But its soooo cheap its like most of the time only half the price of petrol or even a third, In Australia.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Supposedly driving 55MPH on the highway can save you up to 10 miles per gallon. But it's annoying driving that slowly. At least, to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Supposedly driving 55MPH on the highway can save you up to 10 miles per gallon. But it's annoying driving that slowly. At least, to me.
Yeah, I've heard too, but it was the metric equivalent.

Best answers
Yea i heard that too on many websites.... but i dont have the paitence to drive that slow =/

@Pemalite - Thats good info man, thanks. It also works out well for me, since Premium and Unleaded Gas cost the exact same here in Michigan. I need to buy gas today, looks like i'll get the Premium ****.

I'll talk to my dad about it, have him buy platinum spark plugs, top-quality air filter, injector cleaner... and maybe some octane booster (i need it for my quad anyways)

I also heard about a company that sells computer upgrades. I think its www.superchips.com (not sure). I havnt checked them out, but alot of the car shows use it, such as Extreme 4x4 and Horsepower TV. Does anyone have much knowledge on engine computer upgrading?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, if you can get your tires filled with nitrogen, I hear that helps too.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
You don't actually upgrade the computer in a car, its more like... an addon.
And if you don't have an electronic transmission there is no point to it, a friend tried it, But not allot actually happened. I think his economy went down, but he gained some power.
I managed to connect my laptop to my cars computer, and adjusted the spark timings, as the Buick 3200's were always lazy when it comes to spark timings. But note - doing that decreased the life of the motor.

Best answers
Maybe check the bottom of the car if it has enough of that...what was it called in english again...That paint like thing that protects it from getting scratched by rocks, which then would start to rust.
Then remember to wash it often too, especially on Autumm and Spring when they start putting salt the roads and when they stop salting the roads.
But dont wash it all the time, that also can cause Rusting.

These of course only help keeping the rust away, not increasing the motors mileage.

Best answers
Maybe check the bottom of the car if it has enough of that...what was it called in english again...That paint like thing that protects it from getting scratched by rocks, which then would start to rust.
Then remember to wash it often too, especially on Autumm and Spring when they start putting salt the roads and when they stop salting the roads.
But dont wash it all the time, that also can cause Rusting.

These of course only help keeping the rust away, not increasing the motors mileage.
Well that was kinda off topic a bit, but definately good info. Thanks everyone for the help.

So do you think I should stay away from computer upgrading (or wutever its called)?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Yeah ya should, Upgrading a computer in a car is not really worth it, there are much better ways of using that money to go towards something else that will give allot more economy or power.
For instance, because my car doesn't have an electronic transmission, I just scored a stage 2 quick shift auto transmission for it, Quicker, and smoother shifts, better gear ratios and The revs stay low, Which saves on fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom