Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a "catastrophe"

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Tbh if you can't afford a mid range pc when you are going to buy a new one...
Than i think you are screwed.
I mean a good mid range pc starts from like 800 dollars?

50 euro = case
30 euro = dvd
60 euro = 8gig of ram
190 euro = asus gtx560
70 euro = 320 gigs hdd
200 euro = i5 3470
70 euro = a decent mobo from asus
60 euro = a 500w psu...

= 730 euros for a decent pc upgrade.
and i think the most still have a monitor keyboard and mouse from their previous pc...

this could be even less if you go for a cheaper pc store than the one i used.
and gtx550 does the trick to... i tried battlefield 3 on it and it plays it well on medium settings.

and if you can't afford that than i think you should learn to safe money... or buy a tablet wich is like 300 dollar?
I'm far from rich, but safing cash for like 5 months is enough to buy a decent pc.

And with the settings you'll have with what i said you'll have no performance drops at all with antivirus software.
Given you are indeed not using anything like the tuneup utilities wich is total bs like said before :eek:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blizzard is agreeing to this as well. It seems they agree that the OS is a disaster.
If (and it's a big if...) Blizzard released a linux native WoW installation... that would be a brutal kick to windows.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That's quite a high-end system. ;)
A very decent computer to work (not game) with is available for as little as 400€ (roughly $500). Still, this is a lot of money for some people.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's quite a high-end system. ;)
A very decent computer to work (not game) with is available for as little as 400€ (roughly $500). Still, this is a lot of money for some people.
depends on the work, mine cost me (with the recent SSD upgrade included) £1159, which is 1480 euros, and $1822

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

50 euro = case
30 euro = dvd
60 euro = 8gig of ram
190 euro = asus gtx560
70 euro = 320 gigs hdd
200 euro = i5 3470
60 euro = a 500w psu...

and i think the most still have a monitor keyboard and mouse from their previous pc...

and gtx550 does the trick to... i tried battlefield 3 on it and it plays it well on medium settings.

and if you can't afford that than i think you should learn to safe money... or buy a tablet wich is like 300 dollar?
I'm far from rich, but safing cash for like 5 months is enough to buy a decent pc.

And with the settings you'll have with what i said you'll have no performance drops at all with antivirus software.
Given you are indeed not using anything like the tuneup utilities wich is total bs like said before :eek:
I don't live at home with my parents, so I have some bigger priorities than saving up for a computer. For instance, I'm still car-less and I only have about 800 saved up for that, but luckily I work close by. I don't have much free profit after bills, food, and the occasional socialization outing.

And as far as the tuning programs, gamebooster is quite effective as far as I can tell, and I haven't heard about it messing with anyones installation. And, if I'm not mistaken, the higher load your ram goes up to the more temporary data it starts to write on to your Hard-Drive to prevent the computer crashing until load is at 100%. Then it's only using your hard drive for data storage. So I would think every last sector of data being written too would be bad.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Badassologist Ph/D
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Well Windows 8 could hurt Steam, since microsoft is integrating a store with Windows 8 that will sell games. I suspect that this is why he feels what he feels.

you make a good point however:

Steam has free games.
Steam has a comunity system to keep in touch with other players or friends.
steam has awesome sales.
Steam has steam workshop.

Unless windows 8 does all this as swiftly as steam and sells all the games steam has as well, i don't think it will be much competition. I don't know a single guy who buys anything from the games for windows shop or would even if it were easier.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

50 euro = case
30 euro = dvd
60 euro = 8gig of ram
190 euro = asus gtx560
70 euro = 320 gigs hdd
200 euro = i5 3470
60 euro = a 500w psu...

gtx 550 plays BF3 on medium?

My 9800 GT does that to. And its the non overclocked 512MB RAM version. What does that say about wasting money on GFX cards that do crap?

Also I5 is useless. You can run anything on a good dual core and you get it for cheaper. Your mid range is in the abbove range with unused or unoptimized added to it from the look of your post ^^

@hellion Microsoft has had that for years. only with multiple aps and so on. All their aps died out though, so they are now forcing it on the gullable saps who will upgrade to W8

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom