🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is why i love Valve.

The CEO is not stuck in Microsofts ass all the way to its mouth ^^

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Windows 8 could hurt Steam, since microsoft is integrating a store with Windows 8 that will sell games. I suspect that this is why he feels what he feels.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mmmm loving my OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

I am sure developers will lean towards Steam. Even with my Mac App store, I have not gotten a single game from it and always look towards the internet/Steam.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam already has the upper hand being so well established it isn't a easy task to even make it wobble on it's lofty throne.

I cant see gabe being to worried about that

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fact is though. Windows 8 is designed as a mishmash between touch pad OS and PC OS with a lot more attention of the touch pad side.

As a PC OS it fails badly, because it wants to use the mouse for motions.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Quite honestly, I would gladly use a Linux system like Ubuntu if Steam games, World of Warcraft, The Old Republic, and future games supported it.

It's fast, easy to use, highly customizable, and (most importantly) FREE. Windows 7 already pisses me off with the endless updates, viruses, and various other security risks. And Mac is just too ****in' expensive for me.

Haven't tried windows 8, but I knew from the get-go that it would blow.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's fast, easy to use, highly customizable, and (most importantly) FREE. Windows 7 already pisses me off with the endless updates, viruses, and various other security risks. And Mac is just too ****in' expensive for me.
I'm quite curious what the hell where you doing with that windows that you had so many problems with viruses and security risks? I mean endless updates I can understand, but thanks to the fact that I own a decent Antivirus and the defenses of the windows I've never had big problems concerning viruses and security risks.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Pr0n sites are evil as hell lmao.

I'll be staying w7 untill the day there is directx11 and my pc supports directx11 i guess...
Unless battlefield/Valve games decide to use linux...

But i hope they just stay windows 7 though, or else i'm going to have to install 3 operating systems :eek:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm quite curious what the hell where you doing with that windows that you had so many problems with viruses and security risks? I mean endless updates I can understand, but thanks to the fact that I own a decent Antivirus and the defenses of the windows I've never had big problems concerning viruses and security risks.
That's my problem right there, with all the shit windows runs in the background, not having an anti-virus is a huge plus for your system stability and speed. Linux and mac have either no viruses infections capable, or very few so you can afford to go without one.

Also what plak said. I likes me meh pron.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That's my problem right there, with all the shit windows runs in the background, not having an anti-virus is a huge plus for your system stability and speed. Linux and mac have either no viruses infections capable, or very few so you can afford to go without one.

Also what plak said. I likes me meh pron.
Tsk Tsk.

By the way. If I am not mistaken the reason Linux has no such problems is because it is not very used by a lot people. It's also mostly used for business and anything else related to this. If people somehow do convert to Linux and the tables turn, I can assure you it will have problems such as viruses A.S.A.P.

But here is another problem to what you just said: Just how poor is your PC that you need to go without an antivirus to keep a good performance? I mean really they do cause performance "issues" but to most PC's they are barely noticeable if they even occur at all.

From what I see most of the problems you have are your fault. So it's a bit weird to blame the windows 7 for it. Just saying.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Tsk Tsk.

By the way. If I am not mistaken the reason Linux has no such problems is because it is not very used by a lot people. It's also mostly used for business and anything else related to this. If people somehow do convert to Linux and the tables turn, I can assure you it will have problems such as viruses A.S.A.P.
Something like that. Linux is used quite a lot, just not in places where people open every attachment because its name seems to be boobies.jpg. ;)
There's just not enough potential profit that would justify the effort of creating malware for Linux. Yet. This would change quickly, were there more desktop users. As seen with Mac OS.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsk Tsk.

But here is another problem to what you just said: Just how poor is your PC that you need to go without an antivirus to keep a good performance? I mean really they do cause performance "issues" but to most PC's they are barely noticeable if they even occur at all.

From what I see most of the problems you have are your fault. So it's a bit weird to blame the windows 7 for it. Just saying.
Not everyone has the money to get a mid to high end pc. Don't judge people just because they can't get a computer with a quad core 2.3+, high end nvidia, with more than 2 gigs of ram. I don't have the highest paying job atm, even though it's IT work.

I didn't say windows 7 blew just that it is slow for me. I also said that I knew windows 8 was gonna blow from the get-go. Why? Because it's combining various interfaces into one operating system to be used on touch pad computers, phones, and tablet devices. You thought they would get it absolutely right the first time? But in a somewhat related note, I've had more problems with windows 7 and vista's own updates than anything else. Seriously, alot of the updates **** themselves up on more than adequate and even brand new computers.

Lastly, I work as an IT Technician for a business started by my step dad 2 years ago. A very large majority of the problems I get in include A/V's bogging down the systems cpu capabilities (even on quad cores), networking problems (seriously, Mcafee and Norton seem to stop alot of computers internet connections cold), and general system stability (blue screens). It's fine if you want to defend windows, but don't be condescending while you do so. I was stating my opinion, not half making fun of you for being poor.

And whether or not Linux -could- have these problems, doesn't change the fact that they don't. At the very least, not in my experience.

Last edited:
The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, if you insist on using the worst AV software, you need not wonder when it mucks up the OS.
I have no problems whatsoever with F-Secure, the only thing that's slowed down (once a boot) is a menu containing links to all non-Steam games. Loading all the icons triggers the on-access scan of every game executable.

Also, I'm sorry, but you're at least slightly insane for installing Windows 7 and even Vista on a computer with just 2 GB RAM. That might be okay for surfing, but not for actual work.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thought Vista had a 4GB recommended?

2GB is xp days :p, Not poking fun btw

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blizzard is agreeing to this as well. It seems they agree that the OS is a disaster.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if you insist on using the worst AV software, you need not wonder when it mucks up the OS.
I have no problems whatsoever with F-Secure, the only thing that's slowed down (once a boot) is a menu containing links to all non-Steam games. Loading all the icons triggers the on-access scan of every game executable.

Also, I'm sorry, but you're at least slightly insane for installing Windows 7 and even Vista on a computer with just 2 GB RAM. That might be okay for surfing, but not for actual work.
Well, I actually have 3 gigs of ram now, but recommended and capable mean 2 seperate things to the manufacturers. I didn't actually have much choice in which operating system I got with it. Had to go with the cheap option and the cheap option was a dimension E620 with windows 7. I do personally prefer XP, though. Can you even get it on fresh manufactured computers, anymore?

I use a program called gamebooster to help out with ram and cpu load, as well as this memcleaner program.

Last edited:

sg2

Best answers
I'm still using XP. I really don't want to upgrade. The future scares me now. :cry: <- see, scared...

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I use a program called gamebooster to help out with ram and cpu load, as well as this memcleaner program.
See, such programs are just plain bs. They might well destroy your Windows installation completely. And they obviously didn't get the message: RAM is for using, not cleaning. If there's even a single bit of RAM that's not used by either a program or cache, it's wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom