Future of graphics

New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Mar 29, 2003
Messages
4,765
Best answers
0
Well i was just reading some new preview on the Lost Coast HL2 level and i saw some videos about it and it is absolutely stunning....Last week i was also reading a populair Benelux (Belgium-Netherlands-Luxembourgh) game magazine called Power-Unlimited and they did a review of the game Gears Of War and the guy said that the graphics were just so realistic that he really tought he was in the game, but he also said
"Do we really want games to become so realistic in grahpics that we will literaly shoot someones brain out?"

And i was thinking this as well, new, better and cooler graphics are great but, i mean...arent graphics getting a bit too realistic?
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
2,462
Best answers
0
Well it depends whatthey are going for. I mean some games will have guts comming out, while some will just have blood, depends on what they are shooting for (not literally). I mean in movies if a limb is lost, blood can just poor out, like a sall water fountain, but then, you could have blood spurt out like in Kill Bill, depends on what they want.

I remember the classical games I played like Sonic the hedgehog or super mario world were "stunning graphics", but now, it can be done by one perso using action script in flash. Not to say I am dissapointed with that, but making gams in these days seems more complicated.
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
3,397
Best answers
0
Looks cool, but it's probbly rescripted or cut scenes in the game.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
5,216
Best answers
0
That's a very interesting point. When graphics become real and AI becomes indistinguishable from real people then the lines between virtual and real murder becomes a little hazy.

Still, these games are for entertainment purposes. I own lots of violent video games and realistic graphics only further helps emulate the experience. Why commit a real murder when you could get the same experience without the side effect of going to prison? Besides, if you don't want to realistically blow off someones head with a gun then you don't have to play the game.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 14, 2003
Messages
1,659
Best answers
0
Dj^Swift said:
Looks cool, but it's probbly rescripted or cut scenes in the game.

now read his post :rolleyes:


i dont see a problem with graphics being too realistic to be honest...

if i was playing a fps, and shot someone in the head, i would expect some sort of realism in the outcome, on the grounds that if i didnt want to see anything violent, i wouldnt be playing a fps.

on the same note, i dont see any real kids games where people see huge amounts of blood and guts and brains, even though the graphics of those games are becoming increasingly better.

overview: overly realistic graphics is fine, as long as its kept in context.
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
2,462
Best answers
0
Now that Ravendust mentions it, if anything, better graphics might be able to keep phycos from killing real people, if they have a game with no consequences that feels like they are actually killing people. Kinda sick though o_O
 
The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Messages
3,637
Best answers
0
Mad_AxMan said:
overview: overly realistic graphics is fine, as long as its kept in context.
Exactly!

I don't really care if graphics continue to improve as long as such advances are made for the right games.

For instance, I wouldn't mind another HL sequel that has graphics that are indistinguishible from the natural world.

However, I cannot really see myself wanting Mario Kart to end up looking like a Gran Turismo title, even if the graphics were mind-blowing. Sometimes, it's just more entertaining to have the surreal graphics. As long as that style is kept, I don't see any reason not to forward realistic graphics.
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Mar 29, 2003
Messages
4,765
Best answers
0
Ravendust said:
That's a very interesting point. When graphics become real and AI becomes indistinguishable from real people then the lines between virtual and real murder becomes a little hazy.

Still, these games are for entertainment purposes. I own lots of violent video games and realistic graphics only further helps emulate the experience. Why commit a real murder when you could get the same experience without the side effect of going to prison? Besides, if you don't want to realistically blow off someones head with a gun then you don't have to play the game.
dont let games fool you...they commit murders...real ones, ok maybe only in China...but they did kill people...World of warcraft did :p

1) Parents of a chinese child went to a internet cafe to play WoW they left their child to die...

2) Some guy gave an other guy a sword in WoW just for testing, the second guy tought it was fun to sell the sword, the first guy killed the second guy (In real life, not in the game) because he couldnt get his sword back

Now if this happens with WoW what do you think that will happen to phsyco's? they will play the game, go mad, and then go into a murder spree because they dont know if they are still playing a game or if this is reality...these things will happen if graphics get too realistic..
 

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Messages
5,341
Best answers
0
That's not the games' fault. It's the fault of kids being crazy and stupid, and bad parenting.
 
New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
218
Best answers
0
Sicron said:
"Do we really want games to become so realistic in grahpics that we will literaly shoot someones brain out?"
Yes we do!!! :D
 
New Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
104
Best answers
0
The Human mind is very fragile. It can be easily controlled and tricked, also made to believe anything. Imagine if we had the holographic rooms as they did in Star Trek. A lot of people would stay in there for prolonged times due to the fact that in Star Trek, you could have a hologram program of anything and you are able to control every inch of it. Prolonged exposure to that and the games we have now merge with reality making it difficult to separate the two.

Everything we see, feel, touch, taste, is programmed into our conscious mind. If we continue doing something it will eventually be programmed into our sub-conscious mind. Also adaptation, one of Mankind’s incredible mechanisms, would be greatly used while playing games. Why do you think people become better from playing the game or anything else in this world? Their body and mind adapt to the surroundings.

It is really hard to explain how video games mess people up. People claim that it is because the kid or person was messed up in the first place, that is not necessarily true... The only reason they act the way they do is because they spend hours on end playing these games that their minds start adapting to the game, an addiction or over-playing if you will. They never give themselves time to recuperate and rest.

Sorry if my explanation does not make any sense, I am trying to watch Muay Thai on T.V. and type at the same time, lol.
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Mar 29, 2003
Messages
4,765
Best answers
0
SupaFighta said:
The Human mind is very fragile. It can be easily controlled and tricked, also made to believe anything. Imagine if we had the holographic rooms as they did in Star Trek. A lot of people would stay in there for prolonged times due to the fact that in Star Trek, you could have a hologram program of anything and you are able to control every inch of it. Prolonged exposure to that and the games we have now merge with reality making it difficult to separate the two.
Captain Proton to the rescue :p

SupaFighta said:
Everything we see, feel, touch, taste, is programmed into our conscious mind. If we continue doing something it will eventually be programmed into our sub-conscious mind. Also adaptation, one of Mankind’s incredible mechanisms, would be greatly used while playing games. Why do you think people become better from playing the game or anything else in this world? Their body and mind adapt to the surroundings.
BRAINS BURN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! MY BRAINS HURT!!! (sorry for the offtopic spam...but...you have become too scientific about this >.>)

SupaFighta said:
It is really hard to explain how video games mess people up. People claim that it is because the kid or person was messed up in the first place, that is not necessarily true... The only reason they act the way they do is because they spend hours on end playing these games that their minds start adapting to the game, an addiction or over-playing if you will. They never give themselves time to recuperate and rest.

Sorry if my explanation does not make any sense, I am trying to watch Muay Thai on T.V. and type at the same time, lol.
I have times that i play 1 game for like...3 hours non-stop but i do not have a feeling im gonna kill someone, but really...lets say you make a intense violence game on the HL1 engine and on the Unreal 3 engine (same engine as Gears of War) if people would play both games they would really get scared of it, parents wouldnt allow children to play games anymore because its getting too realistic and some pshyco will more likely do something stupid after playing the Unreal 3 engine game

Jugo said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicron
"Do we really want games to become so realistic in grahpics that we will literaly shoot someones brain out?"


Yes we do!!!
I wanna bet that if games get to realistic you dont want that

Dj^Swift said:
Looks cool, but it's probbly rescripted or cut scenes in the game.
Those just might be cutscenes, but it is capable with the unreal 3 engine...just check their demo videos or even try to find the Unreal 2007 (which also uses the Unreal 3 engine) video teaser/trailer, it shows ingame scenes and with these quality of graphics
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 8, 2002
Messages
2,278
Best answers
0
Sicron said:
dont let games fool you...they commit murders...real ones, ok maybe only in China...but they did kill people...World of warcraft did :p

1) Parents of a chinese child went to a internet cafe to play WoW they left their child to die...

2) Some guy gave an other guy a sword in WoW just for testing, the second guy tought it was fun to sell the sword, the first guy killed the second guy (In real life, not in the game) because he couldnt get his sword back

Now if this happens with WoW what do you think that will happen to phsyco's? they will play the game, go mad, and then go into a murder spree because they dont know if they are still playing a game or if this is reality...these things will happen if graphics get too realistic..
*Warning* Harsh Language
WoW is Serious Business
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 14, 2003
Messages
1,659
Best answers
0
warning, the above link contains harsh language.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Oct 3, 2004
Messages
1,462
Best answers
0
ROFL that kid is f-in hilarious, is he for-real?
 
New Member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
420
Best answers
0
Games can get as realistic as possible for all I care. We're not getting anywhere near photo realistic graphics yet anyway, so I don't see what the problem is. Wasn't there the same argument back when screenshots of Doom 3 were shown?
Even if they did get to the photo realistic level, it wouldn't matter to me. If a game I'm playing on is good, then I get immersed in it anyway, regardless of the graphics. So far, better graphics haven't made a game more or less immersive for me - as long as they aren't noticeably crappy I can still get drawn into a game world.

As for AI, the more realistic it gets, the better. I think Ravendust has been watching too much of 13th Floor ;) Even if they felt like real people, if it's just code being processed as you switch on your console the lines between virtual and real murder won't in any way be blurred. They won't have lives other than the parameters that have been set by the programmers. It will just (hopefully) make the gameplay better.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 8, 2002
Messages
2,278
Best answers
0
Growler said:
ROFL that kid is f-in hilarious, is he for-real?

Of course he is, it's an MMORPG.

I've met 100's of people like that in MMORPGs and I used to be one myself, when I was like 13 yrs old :p
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Oct 3, 2004
Messages
1,462
Best answers
0
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
Of course he is, it's an MMORPG.

I've met 100's of people like that in MMORPGs and I used to be one myself, when I was like 13 yrs old :p
whats a mmorpg? Why is a cloudsong so important? ROFL
I mean, Ima cs player and I have never heard anyone like that before.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
5,216
Best answers
0
Magus said:
That's not the games' fault. It's the fault of kids being crazy and stupid, and bad parenting.
Terrible parenting. It's like the 'Hot Coffee' scandal, it's not the games fault the kids get influenced by it, it's the parents fault for letting them play it in the first place. They just won't pull their heads out of their collective asses and stop blaming everyone else for their lack of parenting skills. Anyway, digressing...

Realistic graphics are inevitably going to happen but I don't think they'll unleash the apocalypse too. As long as people are responsible (i.e don't go off the handle and kill somebody because they can do it in a game) then it'll all be peachy. I don't believe you can get 'too realistic'.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Oct 3, 2004
Messages
1,462
Best answers
0
Ravendust said:
Terrible parenting. It's like the 'Hot Coffee' scandal, it's not the games fault the kids get influenced by it, it's the parents fault for letting them play it in the first place. They just won't pull their heads out of their collective asses and stop blaming everyone else for their lack of parenting skills. Anyway, digressing...

Realistic graphics are inevitably going to happen but I don't think they'll unleash the apocalypse too. As long as people are responsible (i.e don't go off the handle and kill somebody because they can do it in a game) then it'll all be peachy. I don't believe you can get 'too realistic'.
only 3 senses (touch - touch is only 1/2 assed in games, considering you can't touch the surroundings in the game, only the mouse and keyboard, visual, audio) are being stimulated when playing a game, and the other two (smell, taste) are pretty much impossible to get in game... which is why games will never be too realistic.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top