FPS with ATi Radeon 9600

Best answers
Well, i had a geforce2 mx200 before, and i got 100fps more o less in nearly all situations.... now i have bought a radeon 9600 and i am getting an average of 40 fps o_O

someone could help me??

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I sortof know where you are coming from. Even when I had a Geforce 3 Ti500 I only had decent FPS, and now that I have a Radeon 9800xt it has improved, but it still isn't as high as it *should* be on the half life engine. I mean, I should be locked at max fps consistently, and yet there are still occasions where it will just drop. I think it may have to do with Radeon Drivers not taking ancient game engines into account.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Moved to help. I've seen other with this problem too. Maybe they'll see this.

-Karrde-

Best answers
damn that may be true but it's amazing that i have less fps with 128mb rather than 32mb :S

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In your Config.cfg file in C:\Sierra\Half-Life\ESF

ati_npatch "0"

"This weird thing...just seems to make ATI cards suddenly smoke and work massively better in half-life. I HIGHLY recommend using this setting for ATI card users, since it was the BIG difference maker in my game when I first discovered it (Note: there are a few similar looking settings in the CONFIG.CFG file as well, maybe they work in conjunction?)"

LiZ

Best answers
I'm not shure will this command work in ESF but try typeing fps_max 100 in to ur console

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That will cause shearing, instead, set v-synch on, and max FPS the same as your refresh rate in Hz. You can turn V-synch off, but your visual quality dips horribly when you turn.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
That will cause shearing, instead, set v-synch on, and max FPS the same as your refresh rate in Hz. You can turn V-synch off, but your visual quality dips horribly when you turn.
I have that problem on my system as well. If I don't have vertical synching on, the sides of the screen actually make this "tearing" effect and the pixels get all distorted (I'm assuming from attempting to render the game faster than the monitor's refresh rate is synchronized for).

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
I have that problem on my system as well. If I don't have vertical synching on, the sides of the screen actually make this "tearing" effect and the pixels get all distorted (I'm assuming from attempting to render the game faster than the monitor's refresh rate is synchronized for).
That's precisely why. The card is drawing faster thant the monitor can handle, and the final effect is several different frames being drawn on the same cycle.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i've seen a something about this.
half life only suports ati cart's(that's atleast what i readed)
geforce can go in it but then half life isn't friendly to it.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That was the HL2 engine, due to the fact that it supports 24bpp textures, while Nvidia's cards can only do 16bpp and 32bpp natively in hardware. For a GeForce to do 24, it must decompile incoming information and convert to 32bpp on the fly. Needless to say it's time consuming. ESF will support 24bpp maps in 1.2, so you'd want an ATI card to handle that setting. The Nvidia cards will have to go 16 or 32.

Best answers
try older drivers or something, its not ati cards having probs with hl thats for sure.. i got a 128meg 9600XT and it runs esf at 99 esf with the occasional drops to 70-80 when people are swooping above ground/water. as cuc said, just go through ur vid settings,i think changing ur vid card would have set ur monitors refresh rate back to the default 60 which could be causing the "not so great improvment"

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wait cuc whoa there. i have a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 what will happen to my fps in 1.2... and yes i use opengl and i have v-sync to always off....

Best answers
Hey but if I turn v-sync on it blocks the fps at 60 max

Best answers
i have the same problem. i have a radeon 9600 and a ping of 150 !! i need a good config for dsl and my system. have anyone an idea?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
those my friend are 2 totally different things
you are talking about lag generally. you have to understand that there are 2 types of lag,
1, is beeing created by the loss of packets distributed by your provider.
these kind of lag you cant really solve.
2, is beeing created by the lack of system requirements, therefor it looks crappy ingame,

you cant really fix ping, cause it isnt something you can adjust.

want you might want to try to improve ping stability are the following values
cl_cmdrate
cl_updaterate
rate

i´m a cable user, and i find the best rates for that are
cl_cmdrate 101
cl_updaterate 101
rate 25000

if i´m ingame and i notice that i am having loss/choke i´m downgrading the values untill the loss/choke is disappeared.
usually
cl_cmdrate 60/80
cl_updaterate 60/80
rate 15000
the command to see your loss/choke is r_netgraph 1/2/3 or just netgraph, dont remember exactly

ow, i remember something, your ping also is greatly affected by the distance between the location where the server is located, and the location where your pc is.

i´m living in holland, when i try to connect to an american server i usually get a ping around 200/350.

i hope this information will help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom