Fire Phoenix is very very sad- his computer doesn't work anymore

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I put this in here because i would like you computer geniuses (you know who i'm talking about) for maybe a little advise on what i could do to fix my computer.

here's my story, ok, one day Fire Phoenix started up his computer, only to find it was running very very very very very slowingly. So he started up the "run" program and typed in "msconfig" to check out some stuff, nothing out of the ordinary, so he closed that out, ran norton anti virus, mcfee anti virus, spy sweeper and ad aware. nothing out of the ordinary. so he figures he would do what any real computer illiterate man would do and do a system recovery, TWICE. Neither times did a damn thing. Except delete everything he wanted to keep, and save everything he wanted to delete.

So Fire phoenix being the moron that he was thought of a crazy idea so crazy it just might work. and took the magical microsoft xp disc of magic and installed XP home edition. yay for Fire Phoenix!!! he just made things that much more worse, now he has 108 gb of XP on his computer taking up half his hard drive. and everything on his computer has been DELETED. (he's on his fathers lap top right now, and he posts during the day in school, on his off periods) so right now Fire Phoenix is saying screw this **** and calling up pc repair places for the best prices and asking them the price of their three leading competitors cuz he's friggin pissed that his beloved computer doesn't work. He is especially pissed cuz he was going to get High Speed soon, and re-install ESF again, because for those of you who don't know that game kicks ass.

Sorry i'm a tad pissed, and i'm being sarcastic, don't mind the retarded third and second person. So yeah, any idea's on what I should do? And if you call me stupid, i'm fine with that.

Best answers
Well you already probably know that It can be anything, but What I think is wrong is a bad peice of hardware. I'm not the smartest computer nerd but thats what I think.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
usually when its a hardware problem it either works, or it doesnt. but since it still did it after reformatting, it has to be a hardware problem,

if it is still able to start up and all that jazz, but still runs slow it really could be anything inside your computer, your HDD could be crapping out, your mobo might be partially fried, your processor might be borked etc, theres a long list of things it COULD be,

one scenario is that you static shocked your computer awhile back and it is just now starting to have noticable effects, (i was always told by computer guys that if you static shock your comp it would slowly but surely kill it off)

on a side note, did you do a full reformat or a system restore?, if it was merely a system restore the problem wtill could be software related

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, errr....we cant really say much without your system specs :p.

Best answers
I'm not so sure if his parts were fried. From what it sounds like, he's just starting to notice the changes his computer is displaying. and like you said, if your parts were fried they would start to display the problems getting more severe over time, so in other words, what im trying to say is that he should have started to notice his problems a long time ago.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i don't think anythign is wrong with my hardware, my computer is only like 6 months old. As for computer specs um

Hewlett Pacard (SP?)
3.4 ghz
250 gb
gig of ram
uh windows xp
geforce 5200fx or something or other
i dunno what else you wanna know you'd have to ask.
I don't really see how i can fry the thing, it's hardly ever on, the only time i use it is to download Naruto or music, and before i moved i used it to play ESF. That's really about it.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well if it stayed with it after reformatting, it can be nothing BUT a hardware problem.

reformatting deletes everything from the HDD and reinstalls any programs that the computer shipped with, or in some cases just the operating system. more or less it sends it back in time to the day you purchased it,

if you got a local computer guy take it to him and see if he can deduce what the problem might be, thats about all i can think of

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
well if it stayed with it after reformatting, it can be nothing BUT a hardware problem.

reformatting deletes everything from the HDD and reinstalls any programs that the computer shipped with, or in some cases just the operating system. more or less it sends it back in time to the day you purchased it,

if you got a local computer guy take it to him and see if he can deduce what the problem might be, thats about all i can think of
Yeah i was thinking of sending it to PC Club, and i know what reformatting is. The nice thing about my computer is if you press F10 while it starts up, the computer will reformat itself, but i think something is wrong with the reformatting because yes it looked the way it did when i first got it....plus everythign else on my computer. LIke WoW, all my macromedia files i installed, all of the microsoft stuff i installed, age of mythology, etc. All that was still there and installed. The only thing it deleted was AOL, all my music, all my naruto, spider man, a girl next door, not another teen movie, and other things similar to that. That's what's pissing me off. Which is why i don't think it's a hardware problem. But I also don't think it's a virus or anything cuz norton, mcfee, spybot, spy sweeper, or ad aware should have gotten rid of.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
use the system restore discs that came with your computer, i dont think a full reformat can be done without them

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry to break the mould but I had this exact same problem a few months back. It's the PSU. Once I got a new one (250w) it was back to being fine again. I'm not saying that's the problem, but it sounds identical to the one I had.

Best answers
Actually, now that I think about it, that does make a lot of sense. Your computer probably isn't getting enough voltage to the processor, mobo, or hard drive. See if you can get an old one out of a different computer and test it to see if it works again.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uhh... why would i need a new psu? my computer worked fine the day before. Then the next day BAM it ran slow as hell. I believe my computer is 400w. I doubt it has a problem. I think i'm just going to take it to a pc place for them to take a look and repair it. Thanks anyway. If anyone comes up with anything you can pm me. A mod can close this now, thank you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, mine was the same, it was fine for years, then one day I turned it on and found it wasn't running at full capacity. One new PSU later and it worked perfectly again.

-The computer was running slowly
-I replaced the PSU
-The computer was running normally

Ergo: The PSU was the problem. I'm sure if you take it in somewhere and have them fit a new 400w PSU to test it'll fix it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tried cleaning out the fan inside your computer? my comp was slllooow as hell because i didnt clean the fan... once i got all that stuff out of it it ran fine again >_< i guess because it was overheating

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ehm....
I had a weak PSU after a few small upgrades
instead of going slower?!?!?!?!?
it just stop working which is in my opinion kinda obvious
but hey that's just me..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Prozac said:
ehm....
I had a weak PSU after a few small upgrades
instead of going slower?!?!?!?!?
it just stop working which is in my opinion kinda obvious
but hey that's just me..
It can slow your computer down, though.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
It can slow your computer down, though.
quoted for the truth , i experienced that myself a while back

well , i see you system is an hp system , so the best thing to do is probably nock on hp's door and tell the mto fix it , but isn't hp ment to give you recovery discs ? in most of my repair experiences with ppl that had an hp system , they always kept their recovery disc handy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom