fatal error plz help

Best answers
when i open esf and choose a map it loads but then like half way threw the loading the game closes and i get a message called fatal error and it says Cache_TryAlloc: 1095824 is greater then free hunk.
i also read al lthe post about fatal errors but they dont really help so plz can u help me on this ty

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it means that the game is trying to cache all the data required for everything to load, and you dont have enough free memory. Up your RAM or free up space on hard disk perhaps.

Best answers
o yer and umm like how much space d i need and srry for al lthese short meesages i jus rembewht i as like afteri posted 1 lol

Best answers
ok ow i have about 2.83gb and when i get to the part right after i choose which sdide i wanna b on like good or bad ite game closes and i get a fatal message saying Cache_TryAlloc: 1592720 is greater then free hunk plz help ty

Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
it means your ram is not 1 gb it sounds 512 or 256 you need 1 gb min to play ecx

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Thrasher, there is an edit button for that reason.

Cache means a chunk of allocated memory.

And yes, it seems your RAM isnt high enough to support all the characters. However, this machine Im on now has 256 RAM and about a gig free space, and i ran ECX with no errors. I think one should also consider the amount of peripheral crap programs you have running in the background.

Best answers
umm well i got about 2.83 gb how much more do i need ???
umm o yer i look in my esf folder and there is no cache folder
and b4 i installed ecx rc 1 it worked fine then i instaled exc1 it worked fine then i instaled big pack i got an error saying sumthing about gogeta .skinny or whateva
then i installed ecxrc2 andt eh n i got the message saying cache_tryalloc
umm well i found a cached.wad file is the same as cache

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Thrasher listen, youre missing the point and going on a tangent.

Were talking about RAM. RAM is not how much space you have on hard disk. Think of RAM as short term memory and your hard drive as long term memory. You have 2.83GB of space on your hard drive. But you are lacking in RAM. To see how much RAM you have, you can right click on My Computer icon, and click Properties.

A cache is a portion of RAM (and sometimes disk space) that is used to save all the data needed for the game. Think of it as a virtual temporary folder. It does not occupy your esf folder.

You dont have to be looking for anything called cache. It is a task your computer performs when it loads something. When you dont have enough RAM, the cache cant complete, and wont be loaded. Basically your computer is compiling together everything it needs to remember in order to execute the game.

The reason why is doesnt work when you installed ecx:rc2 is because there are a lot more characters, and a lot more data means you need a lot more RAM. Also, I think you installed in the wrong order. You should just have to install RC2 then BigPack.

Best answers
umm well it dosnt show me how much ram i have left coz i when i went on properties then hardware it showed my ram but it didnt show how much i had left and also can u tell me how to uninstall rc1,2 and big pack n then tell me how to reinstall it properly ty o yer ty for bweing so patient wid me :p^_^

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
All that is relevant is the total amount of RAM your machine has. The most likely reason for your problem is because ECX is using up all of it.

Im thinking of win95-XP (i avoid Vista like the plague) - when you right click on My Computer, and click properties, you should go to something like:

What confuses me though is, these are my machines specs but I ran RC2 with no errors. Thats why I think you might have a cluttered computer, having lots or unnecessary progs running in the background, or you havent installed ECX correctly.

To uninstall ECX you must uninstalll everything and start again Im afraid.
Backup any custom stuff youve added you want to keep in a new folder
Uninstall ESF.
Delete any leftover files.
Reinstall ESF 1.2.x
Install ECX:RC2
Install Big Pack 8.4
Copy whatever stuffed you backed up back where it started.

Best answers
ok ty but can u tell me how to install the stuff properly and where to install it ty o yer ty for all the help u giving me

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF and ECX should both have installers which do it for you.

Bigpack just unzips a bunch of files if memory serves me right. You will have to copy/paste into your esf folder manually.

everything should go to your \Steam\steamapps\<username>\half-life\esf folder

but check the logic of the folders youre copying to be sure, my memory aint perfect.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
so whats the problem?

Best answers
O OK OW THAT I UNISTALLED EVERYTHING AND I RE INSTALLED IT THER RC1 2 and big pack dont work i need u to eplain in as much detail as u can plz ty

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You dont need to install rc1

Just install esf and then rc2. Then the bigpack.

Uninstall ESF
Delete the esf directory if still remaining
Reinstall ESF 1.2.3
Install ECX:RC2
Unzip Big Pack 8.4 to a folder on your desktop.
Copy the contents into your esf folder.

This is all that should be necessary. If not, buy more RAM.

Best answers
umm o yer io dont have thios part of the location \<username>\half-life\esf folder coz my half life came wid counterstrike so do i in stall them both under steam?

Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
umm o yer io dont have thios part of the location \<username>\half-life\esf folder coz my half life came wid counterstrike so do i in stall them both under steam?
esf and ecx wont work with counter strike thats your problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom