ESF Unrelated: Monitor Issue

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, this all started some time earlier today in the middle of a game of ESF, and it just wont go away. The middle of my monitor (meaning from like 2 inches from the left to 2 inches from the right, all the way up and down) has become extremely blurry. Is my monitor screwing up... or what? Now let me say this: In DOS or just outside of the operating system it isn't blurry at all, but once windows boots up it's blurry and it stays blurry no matter what I do. It's starting to hurt my eyes. Is the problem my monitor or what? I did check out some info and it said my ViewSonic A90f does have the tendency to get blurry stripes... but not like the entire middle of the viewing area. What should I do?

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually it goes away when I get into Quake 3 for some reason. Half Life shares the problem though... perhaps if I make sure the games are on a different resolution they wont have the same issues... but why would my desktop and my browsers/word programs and anything else directly related to the operating system.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First thing I can think of is what Cuc said, try lowering your refresh rate. This can also happen if you've been forcing a higher refresh rate than your monitor can support, resulting in the higher refresh rates getting a bit wierd.

Dos/some games indeed do use a lower refresh rate, hence not showing the blurrs. As for your desktop/word programmes, unless they use their own graphical rendering (like games), they run off your operating system, hence they also use the same refresh rate as your OS.

(My 2 cents on this.)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He has the 60Hz bug, so it's the only desktop resolution he can get.

DOS uses 43Hz if I remember right. That proggie I had him DL might help, you need to rewrite the monitor driver with it, you can set it to force higher rates. More info over AIM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom