ESf ported..

Best answers
niobe said:
it's not that hard, the codes are the same.
i think that it cost a full day to make it hl2 possible but a good coder can hanle that.
ok, carry on
So clueless so very clueless

Anyways, Pong.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
niobe said:
it's not that hard, the codes are the same.
i think that it cost a full day to make it hl2 possible but a good coder can hanle that.
ok, carry on
. . . I think you are very mistaken.

The amount of work it would take to make HL1 mods compatable with the Source engine is certainly not 1 day for any coder. The maps alone would take a recomplile each. Some of those compiling runs take the better part of the day. HL1 is also bound to be much different since it is based off Quake and bits of Quake 2, where the Source engine is based off of completely different game engines and built primarily from their own new code.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
read smardass:
http://collective.valve-erc.com/ind...159124050453000
and i'm talking about the sorce codes, not the map's
coming off someone who knows nothing at all about coding... im afraid its not a simple one day rename/change directory session, it involves alot more, even in that piece, it says its Similar to the hl1 engine, not identical, it will still involve retyping all your values as most of it would have changed. until an experiance coders speaks his worth, theres no point arguing really is there? :/

Best answers
HL1 is also bound to be much different since it is based off Quake and bits of Quake 2, where the Source engine is based off of completely different game engines and built primarily from their own new code.
I heard from someone who's had his hands on HL2's source code, that some of the Quake code still remains. Not exactly sure what it relates to, but maybe they kept it in for the sole reason of allowing mods to make an easier transition. Of course, the source of this info isn't all that reliable, but still, if true it's quite interesting.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
niobe said:
read smardass:
http://collective.valve-erc.com/ind...06159035033544900&question=106159124050453000
I don't see anything in there that mentions you can copy-paste code from your mod's HL1 engine workspace to a Source engine workspace, do you?
It's an entirely new engine. The article even says parts of the HL2 SDK will be only a little bit familiar to those who've worked with the HL1 SDK.
One day of work for a coder? That's what we call a gross understatement.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe he's talking in parent time, where everything is like 100x longer than they say. "Be back in a few minutes."

Heh. Well, it would be cool non the less... that hl1 port looks tempting to acquire ;o.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
niobe said:
read smardass:
http://collective.valve-erc.com/ind...06159035033544900&question=106159124050453000
First off, you have no right to call me a smartass, dumbass. I have 5 years of post high school education in computer science. I am well aware that making an engine that excepts retro code and vastly improves the experience is complete and utter fantasy. Is some of ESF's custom code transferable? Yes. One day of conversion for renamed functions? Hell no, and that's not even going into other nonsense like optimization.

For you to sit there and chastize me for your intellectual shortcomings is asinine and prooves what an idiot you really are.

All of that wisdom from the man who claims Asus is trash. :S

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You must also remember, this is coming from the guy who was ranting about how that Geforce card was soooo much better than it's Radeon counterpart at the time. When Alea clearly showed benchmarks proving him wrong ten fold...

This mod would be great on the Serious Sam engine =P

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
First off, you have no right to call me a smartass, dumbass. I have 5 years of post high school education in computer science. I am well aware that making an engine that excepts retro code and vastly improves the experience is complete and utter fantasy. Is some of ESF's custom code transferable? Yes. One day of conversion for renamed functions? Hell no, and that's not even going into other nonsense like optimization.

For you to sit there and chastize me for your intellectual shortcomings is asinine and prooves what an idiot you really are.

All of that wisdom from the man who claims Asus is trash. :S
What he said :D But I think it should be on ut2k4 too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL2.

Yay! Ten thingamajiggies! :p

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would prefer the RIOT engine from "Drakan:Order of the flame". It supports huge maps, and it's easily modified. These maps are even bigger then the upcoming hl2 ones.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
This mod would be great on the Serious Sam engine =P
yes Serious Sam Engine would rock, if you ever played in Serious Sam 2 the Training Level, and tryed to walk far away from the Training Course, the world seems Endless there, is was walking for almost 30 minutes away from the Training Course.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cold steel said:
I would prefer the RIOT engine from "Drakan:Order of the flame". It supports huge maps, and it's easily modified. These maps are even bigger then the upcoming hl2 ones.
i agree big time, the level's are way bigger then hl2 and the cfx will be better.
it has the option to have ruond opjects and there can be more animation, flying isn't a problem since the dragon's fly to.
you also dont nead any steam sh*t O_O to play online, and you still have 32bit color :cool: .

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
SSJGoku83 said:
yes Serious Sam Engine would rock, if you ever played in Serious Sam 2 the Training Level, and tryed to walk far away from the Training Course, the world seems Endless there, is was walking for almost 30 minutes away from the Training Course.
Yea Serious Sam maps can be very big. Although I think the SDK isn't worth it, to limited.
Doom 3 is more an indoor engine, not sure if this would work out with this type of game. Also it eats to much cpu/gpu power :)
UT hasn't really got a c++ SDK, more scripting I believe. That would make some things to limited aswell.
HL2 hmm...yeah if the SDK is somewhat simulair, I guess that would be the best game. But hacking a open src engine sounds fun aswell :]

Best answers
the far cry engine or the geomod engine (red faction engine) for the destructable world. i would like to see it on HL2

Best answers
Halflife? are you serious? Sam beaats all other engines to hell!
the stupidibly large maps, combined with good graphics, and the fact that its Serious Sam would be great!

on the other hand, ut2k4 has some extremly large maps and the top graphics of the current time.

but you are also forgeting the best one : pakman!!! the huge maps, the graphics, just look at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom