ESF on a Voodoo 2, I'll be darned.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Today, i wanted to test out Half-Life on my Girl Friends computer. Since i've put my old Voodoo 2 card in her PC, wanted to know if i can play Half-Life / Earth Special Forces on it. On the WON Version, you could select a 3DFX option in the video option menu (Mini-Drivers i believe), which is located under OpenGL. On Steam Half-Life's version how ever, i thought i couldn't due 3DFX was not on the list, i tried few weeks ago. But go an unknown error. I thought at first it was due Steam removed Voodoo 2 Support.

Today, i have tried again. To my surprise, it worked under OpenGL settings. I believe Steam actually merged the Voodoo card support with OpenGL. And i guess i installed a wrong Voodoo 2 Driver for winXP few weeks ago. So now i can actually play Earth Special Forces at my Girlfriends house. But i did saw a difference though, the textures are really ugly if you look at it closely. Like the images below i took today ingame:

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/32/others/ugly1.jpg
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/32/others/ugly2.jpg

I'm surprised i could even play Half-Life with this Voodoo 2 card, and no. This is not Software mode for those who think that. I got a nice FPS (Frame Per Second) as well. It's about 30 when i play. :p, just a shame about the textures though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh. Looks like some kind of modern art, or something.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Sephize said:
Still awesome that it runs on such an old card.
Yup, and thank god. Now i can just play ESF whenever i am at my Girlfriends house. I never expected though for a voodoo card to play smoothly at this rate.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know what else you can do at your girlfriends house? ;)

Seriously, great that she can run ESF and everything, but why would you want to play it there?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You seriously need to get a better gfx card =P. I still remember that days where I played 1.1 on a p2 400mhz machine using a geforce2 mx200, and later a mx400.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Seriously, great that she can run ESF and everything, but why would you want to play it there?
Due I'm here already for the last 5 weeks? I barely play ESF because of it.

You seriously need to get a better gfx card =P
You'll pay for it? :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
You'll pay for it? :)
Nup =P. I'm sure you could atleast get here one of today's budget gfx cards =P.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, that's filthy.

Now run ESF on your toaster.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
This PC is 2600Mhz though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ROFL, good one dragondude.
You know what else you can do at your girlfriends house? ;)

He just wants an excuse to see her. ;)

That's great news, lol, the pc I'm using now has onboard graphics of 8 RAM, I can play esf, but on software mode.....

Voodoo, sheesh, those things are older than the nutcracker, haven't seen one since my baby days.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Fun thing is, i have 2 Voodoo 2 cards. I only have to find the connector to connect both of them in this pc! :)

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'v use esf on a maxtor 4mb video card and it work but only on softer but still i can get grate fps like max 20 lol

Best answers
I still have 1 of those monster 3d 2 cards that u had to hook up to another card haha

offtopic: donnierisk, dragondude did get owned so it wasn't that good :) a 2600MHz pc is even faster than 1 of the comps I have

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
Fun thing is, i have 2 Voodoo 2 cards. I only have to find the connector to connect both of them in this pc! :)
Heh, old school Vodoo SLI.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
Haha, that's filthy.

Now run ESF on your toaster.
ROFL...Sorry, but that's easily the funniest thing I've heard all day!

I'm actually not too surprised. Half Life is old school beginning-of-3d-gaming kind of game. The only machine that couldn't handle such a low maintenance high frame-rate engine was given instructions via hole-punch cards and would claim dominion over all the room in my kitchen to solve problems in ten seconds my calculator could do with the battery drained.

Sorry, I just don't enjoy looking into the dark past of the computer.

(PS: I still can't read that quote w/out lmao!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom