ESF on a Voodoo 2, I'll be darned.

Base belongs to me.
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Today, i wanted to test out Half-Life on my Girl Friends computer. Since i've put my old Voodoo 2 card in her PC, wanted to know if i can play Half-Life / Earth Special Forces on it. On the WON Version, you could select a 3DFX option in the video option menu (Mini-Drivers i believe), which is located under OpenGL. On Steam Half-Life's version how ever, i thought i couldn't due 3DFX was not on the list, i tried few weeks ago. But go an unknown error. I thought at first it was due Steam removed Voodoo 2 Support.

Today, i have tried again. To my surprise, it worked under OpenGL settings. I believe Steam actually merged the Voodoo card support with OpenGL. And i guess i installed a wrong Voodoo 2 Driver for winXP few weeks ago. So now i can actually play Earth Special Forces at my Girlfriends house. But i did saw a difference though, the textures are really ugly if you look at it closely. Like the images below i took today ingame:

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/32/others/ugly1.jpg
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/32/others/ugly2.jpg

I'm surprised i could even play Half-Life with this Voodoo 2 card, and no. This is not Software mode for those who think that. I got a nice FPS (Frame Per Second) as well. It's about 30 when i play. :p, just a shame about the textures though.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh. Looks like some kind of modern art, or something.

Base belongs to me.
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Sephize said:
Still awesome that it runs on such an old card.
Yup, and thank god. Now i can just play ESF whenever i am at my Girlfriends house. I never expected though for a voodoo card to play smoothly at this rate.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You know what else you can do at your girlfriends house? ;)

Seriously, great that she can run ESF and everything, but why would you want to play it there?

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You seriously need to get a better gfx card =P. I still remember that days where I played 1.1 on a p2 400mhz machine using a geforce2 mx200, and later a mx400.

Base belongs to me.
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Seriously, great that she can run ESF and everything, but why would you want to play it there?
Due I'm here already for the last 5 weeks? I barely play ESF because of it.

You seriously need to get a better gfx card =P
You'll pay for it? :)

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
You'll pay for it? :)
Nup =P. I'm sure you could atleast get here one of today's budget gfx cards =P.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, that's filthy.

Now run ESF on your toaster.

Base belongs to me.
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
This PC is 2600Mhz though.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
ROFL, good one dragondude.
You know what else you can do at your girlfriends house? ;)

He just wants an excuse to see her. ;)

That's great news, lol, the pc I'm using now has onboard graphics of 8 RAM, I can play esf, but on software mode.....

Voodoo, sheesh, those things are older than the nutcracker, haven't seen one since my baby days.

Base belongs to me.
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Fun thing is, i have 2 Voodoo 2 cards. I only have to find the connector to connect both of them in this pc! :)

Beta Tester Squad
πŸ’» Oldtimer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
i'v use esf on a maxtor 4mb video card and it work but only on softer but still i can get grate fps like max 20 lol

Best answers
I still have 1 of those monster 3d 2 cards that u had to hook up to another card haha

offtopic: donnierisk, dragondude did get owned so it wasn't that good :) a 2600MHz pc is even faster than 1 of the comps I have

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
Fun thing is, i have 2 Voodoo 2 cards. I only have to find the connector to connect both of them in this pc! :)
Heh, old school Vodoo SLI.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
DragonDude said:
Haha, that's filthy.

Now run ESF on your toaster.
ROFL...Sorry, but that's easily the funniest thing I've heard all day!

I'm actually not too surprised. Half Life is old school beginning-of-3d-gaming kind of game. The only machine that couldn't handle such a low maintenance high frame-rate engine was given instructions via hole-punch cards and would claim dominion over all the room in my kitchen to solve problems in ten seconds my calculator could do with the battery drained.

Sorry, I just don't enjoy looking into the dark past of the computer.

(PS: I still can't read that quote w/out lmao!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)