ESF CRASH: LINKSYS/ACTIONTEC USERS README!!!

Best answers
First off, sorry for the caps, but this I feel is important, as it is a wide margin of gamers who use routers whom are affected. Also, sorry if this has been posted before, but I searched the FAQ, the entire forums, and http://www.steampowered.com/forums for an answer, with only "hints" as to fix it, but not the actual answer.

SYMPTOMS: While playing ESF 1.2, (was only tested on 1.2 & 1.2.1) my computer randomally crashes either back to the "ESF Desktop" (The picture of Vegeta kicking Piccolo, with your choices of Find/Create Server, Options, and Quit) OR you get kicked entirely from the game, straight to the Windows desktop only after a few minutes of gameplay. When kicked to either screen, no error message is displayed for what reason you were kicked, however the console reads: "Host_Error: UserMsg: Not Present on Client ###" (### representing a number), AND you are using a Linksys or Actiontec Router/Cable Modem.

PROBLEM: According to SteamPowered.com, there is a problem with the latest set of firmware drivers for the router. You must DOWNGRADE your drivers for the router in order to prevent this crash from happening.

SOLUTION: The original link posted by SteamPowered, can be found here: HERE. In order to install older firmware drivers, first you must download an older driver set. Search HERE towards the bottom of the page for a list of firmware drivers for the BEFSR11/31/41 Routers, the most common router used by home PC users. The set I used that sucessfully worked were the 1.39. Then follow Linksys instructions HERE to update your firmware to this version. Once finished, your game should no longer crash in this method. This saved me alot of headaches!

For Actiontec hardware users, read the post from SteamPowered.com HERE.

I hope this is helpful for some of you who are searching for answers to this problem, as I was. I just happened to stumble upon the right answers. NOTE: Be sure you are using the correct firmware set BEFORE you FLASH your ROUTER! This may cause errors in your router if you use the incorrect firmware set. Also, flashing your firmware will more than likely reset your port forwardings to their FACTORY DEFAULTS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom