[Old PotW] ESF: Cloud effect and procedural grass

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
[video=youtube;XEqEO_4d6Yo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XEqEO_4d6Yo[/video]

Summary

Posted Jun 2, 2013 by Deverz

Many people have been asking for periodic updates on development to get a little insight on what is going on at the moment. Well today you get your wish. I have asked the team what they are working on and here are the responses I got.

Mastasurf is working on animating Frieza's second form and putting the finishing touches on esf_roshi. Hopefully Frieza will be done soon and we can start using him in POTW's

Ryokeen is working on a new cloud system (Now that he's mostly done with grass) which should work towards adding random weather effects to the game or at least making it look cool when the dragon is summoned.

This video shows the new clouds and some grass in action

Dalte has been doing a bunch of stuff. He's working on some melee effects with Darktooth such as Trunks' throw and some bonus tweaks. He's also been working on Goku's level one bonus and effects for world collisions since Raven implemented them recently. Finally he's also adding slide effects for the ground.

Darktooth is working on animations for Trunks

Karrde has been steadily plodding away at cleaning up and normalising sound files and only has Captain Ginyu left!

Grega is helping me with a project I have going (more on that soon) with the help of Dalte

Raven has been very busy working on multiple bug fixes. He has also been adapting the melee code to work with PhysX and working on our new weapon system which will make things easier by creating one general weapon that can be configured to almost any other.
What this means is if there is a bug in one weapon it's in them all, but it also means if that bug is fixed in one weapon they are all fixed.
Raven is also working on a secret project with Avatar but they're not ready to talk about that just yet.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity for now and hope you enjoyed a peek behind the curtain.

Don't forget to hang out with us in Team Speak and the ESF steam channel

See you next time
Good quotes.

Here is my say. The grass, the clouds are PERFECT! you guys did well. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Lookin' sweet, bros!

When you think about it, this game isn't too far from release, actually. Pretty cool.

:D

Earth's Guardian
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
the moving grass,the frieza,the random horse and who did the come get some voice

its too damn great and here i was expecting a pic of the week. but no seriously the hell did the horse come from

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
the moving grass,the frieza,the random horse and who did the come get some voice

its too damn great and here i was expecting a pic of the week. but no seriously the hell did the horse come from
maybe it's tip for Animal AI

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol no it's just random nature sounds

Also the "Come get some" is Duke Nukem

The Frieza was a surprise to me when I first saw it too btw

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
The COME GET SOME was Duke Nukem, I'll never forget that. Geeze the wind effects, coupled with the lighting and those amazing clouds! You guys just might have seriously created the best horizon I've EVER seen in a game. I love having those moments(in real life and in games) where you just have to stop for a moment and look at how amazing your surroundings are.

Also, the inclusion of PhysX just has me overjoyed! Rigging the melee to work with it huh? Oooooo I am just helplessly in love!

I LOVE KITTIES!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wait, PhysX? Nvidia PhysX?
Doesn't this mean ultra super cool particle effects and low fps on low end computers?
Or you won't be f*cking with particles, just melee system?

Edit: And PhysX is being constantly updated with new stuff.
For those who never seen what PhysX can here you go.

[video=youtube;JcgkAMr9r5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcgkAMr9r5o[/video]

Last edited:
I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It says to be implemented with melee system so i guess it will be only with melee

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What does the inclusion of PhysX mean in ESF's case? I don't have an NVIDIA GPU, will the game look worse for me?

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What does the inclusion of PhysX mean in ESF's case? I don't have an NVIDIA GPU, will the game look worse for me?
hmm if you had a Nvidia GPU which supports PhysX, the PhysX would be processed on GPU. Instead it will be processed on CPU. So if it's not that much intense, it will not lag too much. I believe the reasons for what they are implementing PhysX into ESF shouldn't make the game that much intense for CPU.

(PhysX is actually physics engine, so I believe they are implementing it for collisions and such things.)

Last edited:
Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All we're using it for I believe is collisions. The rest of the stuff is just problematic.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice update Deverz, good stuff all around.

Best answers
Man I can't believe the sounds for the characters are almost done, that's awesome, one less thing to worry about hopefully - GJ Karrde.

It's mentioned that Frieza will be done soon so I'm guessing his 2nd form is the last big thing that needs to be accomplished for him, I think there's only been 1 POTW of his 2nd form but that was a long time ago......he looked good then I'm sure he looks much better now.

In regards to Dalte's update, he's working on Goku's bonus attack - this is the tier 1 melee attack right? If this is the case is he redoing it? I thought it looked really nice. Also I'd love to see more of that sliding action, I noticed that it wasn't in the November build from the April Fool's gamplay video.

Raven is working with "Avatar", who's this?

Lastly, I'm curious about the two secret projects going on - can't wait.

Thanks for the update, it's nice seeing a plethora of information rather than a picture for a change.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avatar A.K.A. Lord Of Destruction. He is one of the coders of ECX along with Raven and Greenberet, who joined our team. He and Raven are practically a tag team coding duo. Though im not sure which one of them is batman and which one of them is robin ^^

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
I think it's more like The Joker and Two Face^^

--- edit ---

I think it's more like The Joker and Two Face^^

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cunning as Zeus