ESF 1.2, Steam, and HLDS

Best answers
Hello everyone,

As per Mr. Satan's suggestion, I am bringing this post to the Server Chat forum. I had originally posted in the Bug Reports forum. My original thread can be found here:

http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=43883

Anyway, my problem in a nutshell is as follows. I once had a ESF 1.1 server (on WON) that was very successful. I am now trying to migrate to Steam and run a 1.2 server. However when I do, my server locks up after 24-48 hours while people are on the server playing. HLDS (I used the HLDS install only, not the client version of Steam) is the ONLY thing running on this Windows XP box that is a relatively new install and is up to date as of 6/9/2004. I do NOT have this problem when running ESF 1.2 under WON. I also do NOT have this problem when running standard Half-Life (AKA valve mod). Both my ESF 1.2 WON server and my Half-Life Steam server ran for a week with no problems whatsoever.

I was told on my other thread that not much can be done to help me. So this is the next logical question: Does anyone else run a win32 based ESF 1.2 Steam server? If so, do you use the HLDS or do you install the dedicated server from the Steam client window?

Any insight is appreicated.

{mBd} Brolly
{mBd} Clan Member & Server Administrator

Best answers
I use the HLDS and I've had the same problems that you have. Currently I'm trying to fix the problem, but most likely it has to do with ESF. I have had multiple servers, 1. Counterstrike 2. Tribes 2 3. Day of Defeat 4. Natural Selection, and I never had that kind of problem with those games. Not even counterstrike and I had several mods on there (Superhero, Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne, Final Fantasy, and Matrix Mod) and never had a problem with them. Most likely it has to do with ESF's compatibility, remember this is just what? the third version? It still has a while to go before it reaches perfection.

Best answers
Just like you Votorx, I am pretty certain that the problem lies with ESF, and not with Steam. I am somewhat glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem. Hopefully the developers will take a look into these issues for us.

So does this mean that just about all of the ESF servers that are presently running Steam are running Linux?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This might explain the random crashing of my server.

Best answers
So does this mean that just about all of the ESF servers that are presently running Steam are running Linux?
Unless ESF is more compatable with Linux (which seems unlikely) then it really wouldn't make a difference. Steam client isn't very stable, and much less flexible to configure than HLDS. HLDS is alot more reliable. Just wait, it'll probably be fixed soon...

P.S - I'm thinking of making a plugin for AMX made for ESF, what do you think? Any suggestions?

Best answers
I guess my #1 point is this: There are plenty of ESF 1.2 Steam servers running right now, most likely without the problems I am having. So what's different that they are doing that I am not?

Best answers
I had the same problem with my dedicated hlds windows server, however the linux version seems to run fine. We'll look into this, but I don't think we're gonna find a solution to this soon. For now, maybe you can set up your windows box so it restarts the server every 12 hours or something like that?

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
My HLDS version runs fine on my Windows 2000 server box. I had it running for a week with no problems, it's just the only problem is, when people join, they time out. My cousin, when he joins, his steam client kicks him to the desktop when he joins. But, about 3 days ago I had 8 people playing on my server, but still getting those random people that timeout.

Best answers
I host a dedicated server now and then on my other computer for me and my friends to play in esf. I don't have any freezing problems or people timing out.. try deleting everying in your dedicated server folder and then redownloading the ded server updates and stuff..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom