Error with install

Best answers
for some reason i can't get steam to work on my copmuter (i got a post at www.steampowered.com already for that) so im trying to get ESF1.2 working on my Half-Life 1110, but wheni open the ESF1.2 installer, it gives me the "welcome" screen, choose destination location (which is C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe by default), select components, select program manager group, desktopicon, start installation, then as soon as it starts the install, right away an ERROR message comes up sayin "the file 'C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe\esf\autoexec.cfg' could not be opened. please check the your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory.the system cannot find the path specified." then i can only click ok the the error, then it closes................ can anyone help?

Best answers
Yes, when you install ESF, you need to point to the location where the hl.exe file is located. That is:

Steam c:\steam\steamapps\[email protected]\half-life
WON c:\sierra\half-life

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forums.

Best answers
thanks, i didnt know i had to just change the location form the default location lol....... ok now that i've done that, does the 1.2.1 get put overtop the same location? C:\SIERRA\Half-Life ? or in C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\esf ??

Best answers
K i installed 1.2.1, but when i go to start a LAN game, it starts to load then it says Warning:UDP_OpenSocket: port 27015 Setsockopt IP_MULTICAST_LOOP:WSAENOPROTOOPT about 3 or 4 times, then i think it said my IP address................ then nothing happens, except i can see my mouse pointer if it is in the middle of the screen as if there was an invisable box there, and it i click this area, then press the "enter" key, it closes?? anybody know what's going on? o_o

Best answers
the thing i couldn't see before that i could press and would exit the loading screen is an illegal operation window (i'm running Win 98 SE if that helps)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First off - don't double or triple post if you do it again i'll have to give you a warning i'm afraid.

About the error - I did some research and was led to believe that that error is a harmless debug feature of 98.

"Warning: UDP_OpenSocket: port 27015 setsockopt IP_MULTICAST_LOOP: WSAENOPROTOOPT

Just ignore this warning. This is for HLTV, port 27015 by default. Nothing to worry about."

Is there any other error messages at all?

Best answers
sry bout all the posts, im new to forums, ummmmmmmm k, now i can't see any of the words in my console when the game is loading up, but after thre same amount of time, a window comes up "has performed an illegal operation" and i have to close

Best answers
it says ESF could not be found on selected destination. Please choose again

i dont know what to do please help

Best answers
@Bunda: I'm sorry, but I can't help you any further with that. Do you have any background applications running? Maybe there are some that screw up the game.

@alonzo123x: With the installation of the patch, you need to install it to your hl folder. This is the following:

Steam c:\steam\steamapps\[email protected]\half-life
WON c:\sierra\half-life

And welcome to the boards.

Best answers
ok i did it now it says ESF could not be found on selected destination. please choose again .... this is what i put for the destination c:\steam\steamapps\[email protected]\half-life

Best answers
Yea I am getting the same problem as him. I tried the email@domain and my own email.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
alonzo: please do not hijack other threads - create a new one with your query, but don't do it now since i'm giving you the answer now.

You need beta 1.2 before you apply the 1.2.1 patch - get it from one of the sticky threads in the newbie central forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom