ERROR: totally stops ESF or prompts error

Best answers
o_O I am aking whats up wit ESF. I have the bots installed and after i play them in a lan game, after a while the game seems to trigger an error and shut down esf. By the way, i run it in CS 1.5. Also, sometimes the game just shuts down totally, without an error prompt, and takes me back to the desktop. what can I do. N00b reaching out for help/

Best answers
The error message doesnt seem familiar (prompt error, eh?), but as far as i can tell you, this is normal. Both hl and cs both use the same engine, so it has nothing to do with retail cs. Basic trouble shooting would involve changing video mode to opengl (ignore the warning), and/or reducing the number of bots (8 should be enough). Half life eventually "crashes" after a while no matter when or what im playing, keep in mind this is 1998 technology. Your comp specs play a role in this also, on my old 350mhz hp it would crash after about an hour. With my new 2.53ghz dell, it barely ever crashes, unless i have been playing for a while, im hosting a full server with many people, or alot of processes are running in the background.

EDIT: I misread the thread, i thought you said the error was prompt error (stoopid me). If it says "hl.exe has caused an illegal operation" (assuming you are running windows), this is even more normal. Its just window's way of saying "I cant fix the error, but ill tell you anyway". Grr.....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same thing happens to me only I play online not lan game, ESF just shuts down and brings me to desktop.

Best answers
:yes:
Snow1586 said:
Same thing happens to me only I play online not lan game, ESF just shuts down and brings me to desktop.
Well this is what i would do first. I would defrag my cpu both hard drives. Then i would run scan disk.(a thourogh scan is best) and if all else fails i go to the esf and ask for help.. :D might wanna try that. :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest it doesnt happen enough for me to find the answer, but for any who has this happen alot, go to #esf-help in eastgames.net thats the esf help channel they could proly help alot.

Best answers
I dont think anyone could help you with that b/c its simply a problem with the half life engine (too much "stress") The ways above would only delay it (besides defrag and scandisk, i didnt know microsoft made sumthin that worked... but in my personall opinion they dont ;) )

Best answers
Yea i just downloaded esf a couple days ago and this has been happening to me also. It will just randomly close to the desktop...no error message or anything. I play cs and dod and have never had this problem. I am pretty much clueless of what the cause is...i just thought it was a problem with esf.

Best answers
Krazy312 said:
Yea i just downloaded esf a couple days ago and this has been happening to me also. It will just randomly close to the desktop...no error message or anything. I play cs and dod and have never had this problem. I am pretty much clueless of what the cause is...i just thought it was a problem with esf.
yes the exact same thing happens to me except i dont play dod but i play counterstrike all the time and it is very annoying when I am doing good and then ESF just quits out... :\

Best answers
i had that same problem too.. its the bot program it crashes while running the bots butif you go to half-life/esf just deactivate the bots and you shouldnt have that problem. but if you are insistant on using the bots try downloading them from somwhere else

Best answers
ChaosPriest said:
i had that same problem too.. its the bot program it crashes while running the bots butif you go to half-life/esf just deactivate the bots and you shouldnt have that problem. but if you are insistant on using the bots try downloading them from somwhere else
It was just a coincedence, i think. This is a simple problem with half-life, not esf. This happens on dmz also b/c both games require what poor little 1998 half-life cant give. As esf gets more stable with each release, it happens less, but it just will hapen no matter what. The bot dll might be a problem though, but i dont think so. I have my bot dll on all the time and it takes over 2 hours for hl to crash. Someone tell me if im wrong.

Best answers
Remeber that first step before you try anything, unistall then reinstall.
More to the point make sure you are running the video setting under OpenGL, better results while running under that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Helping Steps to Not Crashing :

Lower Clock Speeds :
Sometimes when a video cards core becomes to hot, it will completely disable what ever program is running that requires the video card. Lowering clock speeds can and will stop this from happening.
ATi Radeon cards are known to be extremely hot even at default settings.

Dont Press Those Buttons! :
Sometimes, if you press change team or change class right when the game starts, your game will completely crash out of the blue. I often find this anoying.

OpenGL is the Way to Go! :
OpenGL is a much more stable and higher performing rendering solution to games. It is better than both Software rendering and Direct3d rendering. Using this will most likely solve any current problems, if you experience slow performance, revert to lower resolution.

Reinstallation is a yes. :
If you continue to have problems even after these suggestions, reinstall your game. This is usually a 100% way to fix things but time consuming.

Background programs? :
Alot of times, running background programs can hamper even crash running programs. Kazaa and other resource hogs can rob you of many frames per second and increase your ping. Did you know if you left Kazaa running with 512 MB free ram for 5 minutes that all that ram would be utilized on Kazaa? YES. Push Control + Alt + Delete and disable all those naughty programs!

I hope these helped. If you have any other suggestions feel free to add.
-UltraPerfectCel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom