Duel Mode

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in the past i have suggested ways of taxing on spammers and so have other people , but if people want that all canceled out they could just use the avalible amx plugins that are currently out (melee/gen attacks,ki blasts only , cvars etc). Or when someonje is challenged the server decides by random what attacks you are limited to using or both players decide on a select amount of rules to use (in othe rwords ,why not create a little challenge menu that has 3 different fight styles for a duel to make the duel a bit more flexible for the both of the players). Or ethier try setting the valid times for certain attacks throughout the time frame of the duel ? (you could start off having a bar that indicates which attacks are available during certain times for the player during the time of the duel ?).

Best answers
eee. this is tehh greatness idea ;p would be fun to have this ingame :] could have a neat 1vs1 matches, with no n00bs interupping u :/

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=53391
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=40227
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=32753
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=26873
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=23988
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=21528

(need I go on?)

As you can see, this has been suggested ad nauseam. However, I always did like the JK duel system, and I think it'd be nice to see it in ESF - the privacy, alone, is the greatest selling point of this kind of system. The only real problem I'd, personally, see with it is people intentionally being annoying by hovering around the 2 competitors - that's just something you'd have to deal with, I'd imagine. Not even JK2 or JKA had ways of stopping people from being annoyances around duelling players.

However, despite that possibility, I have always been a supporter of this idea. Perhaps your thread will have a bit more luck than the small sample I posted above, Logan.

Best answers
Actually the problem of people annoying duelers did get solved in a very popular mod. JA plus...The server has the option of enabling it so that when two people go into a duel everyone else fades out. People can still watch the said duel, but they can not in any way distract the duelers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
JA+.. Yeah. I forgot the original JA works slightly different, because I've used JA+ for as long as I can remember. :3

I would play.. but the clan I was in is nowhere to be found. o_O Hanging out with my clan friends was really the only reason I kept playing.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Oddly enough, the second thread listed there was closed because it already was in 1.2. Did you guys have it in and decide to take it out or was he referring to advanced melee?
It looks to me like it was either a misunderstanding, or Sonic was simply stating that a duel mode was not needed because advanced melee was already 1-on-1. Either way, the poster of the thread was trying to suggest a JK2/JKA duelling system, by the looks of it.

Best answers
I made a thread too about this a long time ago so i think this would be a great addition to esf.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really know much if anything about the whole process with coding and add-ons and the like, it's not my forté, but couldn't someone just make a plug in for this?

I remember in a game called Tribes (http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=286) that was released way back, and also in Tribes 2, some fans made a server side plug-in called Duel Mod, where basically you would push Tab to open up the player list in the server, double click someone's name, it would ask them to duel if they weren't already, and if they accepted you'd spawn a yard or so apart and a 3 second count-down would begin then bam, the fun would begin.

Is this not possible with the hl engine as a plug-in? Or is it just that we don't have the people who are able to do it interested?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama, if its easy enough for someone to make a plugin, it should be easy enough for the team to do. Besides, no one will use the plugin. It would be used if it was offical.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Kama, if its easy enough for someone to make a plugin, it should be easy enough for the team to do. Besides, no one will use the plugin. It would be used if it was offical.
Eh? The team is working on other things. There's alot of gameplay and implementation issues with characters and transformations that need to be dealt with up front before anything else. Why waste time on something like this? Luxuries come later. And most people would rather have the game released when it was ready and not wait another month or so for this mode to be tested and smoothed out. Why should the team worry about it if someone else can do it?

And like I said, I've seen it done Server side, and those servers were the most populated of any servers. The fact that people are asking for it says that they would use the plug in.

So is it not possible? Or what's the problem?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama said:
Eh? The team is working on other things. There's alot of gameplay and implementation issues with characters and transformations that need to be dealt with up front before anything else. Why waste time on something like this? Luxuries come later. And most people would rather have the game released when it was ready and not wait another month or so for this mode to be tested and smoothed out. Why should the team worry about it if someone else can do it?

And like I said, I've seen it done Server side, and those servers were the most populated of any servers. The fact that people are asking for it says that they would use the plug in.

So is it not possible? Or what's the problem?
Look, let me use an example here. KWS, one of the beta testers for ESF made a plugin that turns off ssj. It took him ten minutes to do. If he could do that without access to the ESF source code in about ten minutes, how long could it possibly take for the ESF team to do this idea, how much time would be wasted on doing this? A measly ten minutes for a solid feature? I'd much rather have the team waste ten minutes on this feature and have it official for everyone to use then have someone make a plugin that will only be used on one server (if we're lucky that is...).

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yup i agree kama, up to a point... if its not official with a release, many servers just wont have the plugin, and who actually owns a server (apart from DJ Ready) and visits the forums? Thats the reason why people wont use the plugin, they might make their own listen server, but its not the same as a dedicated server =/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why is no one answering my question.... -_-

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
neither me or sub know how to make plugins, so we dont know if its possible :x

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, it probably is possible, but whats the point if it will not be used? Whats the problem with the ESF team implementing this feature? It's not even like its a bad idea, its a great idea. We only want it in because it would make ESF a lot better. So... why are you against implementing it? (other then that bs time factor reason you've already said..)

edit: Just one more thing. You said "Why should the team worry about it if someone else can do it?". Well, someone else HAS implemented all transformations into the game (EVM) yet the team is still doing the transformations for the official release. I don't see why this should be any different.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, here's an idea. Call me stupid if you like, but can't some non-team members code the thing, then have the team implement it afterwards, like with Tien?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
edit: Just one more thing. You said "Why should the team worry about it if someone else can do it?". Well, someone else HAS implemented all transformations into the game (EVM) yet the team is still doing the transformations for the official release. I don't see why this should be any different.
Because those transformations are unbalanced and ridiculous that's why.

And if you have spent any time reading the docs masta had posted, you'd know how much work joe and hars already have set up for them. There's absolutely no reason at all to care about this mode with all that work.

And you're thinking it's such a simple thing, if it is, just make it a plugin. The people who really want it and know how to use the plug-in's will search the forums for such a thing. And once again, if it's serverside, only the person running the server will need it. Someone will join the server, ask where they got it, they'll direct them to the forums.

But then again, I guess i'm expecting too much from a community that can't even finish one model.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
/me senses bad tention :(

just use team mode and switch teams constantly for duels and make certain rules (Some guy i was playying with on gs made his own server and we played a little fun budokai 1 on 1style match on the cell arena map , rules were first one to land outside the ring or hit the walls &/or skybox would be out , now theres a little duel for you , we had about 7 other aussies play too :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom