Doom 3 Source code ready to be released.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.qj.net/pc-gaming/genre/j...om-3-source-code-is-about-to-be-released.html

The story of Doom 3's code being released to the general public has been around since Quakecon 2011.

All we knew until now was that this would be sometime after the release of iD's new shooter, Rage.

Stating on his Twitter account, John Carmack said:

Doom 3 source is packaged and tested, we are awaiting on final lawyer clearance for release.

At QuakeCon, Carmack challenged other developers to release their source for study as well, in the belief that it will help the wider game development community to produce more quality titles in the future.

iD have released source code of their past games, including Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Return to Castle Wolfenstein both having their code made publicly available in 2010.

Early in September ID also released the source code to their updates for Doom Classic and Wolfenstein 3d Classic App Store games, furthering their commitment for a more open source approach to game development.

How do you think this will work for future titles and do you think it is a good idea for game designers to learn from one another, or go it on their own?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually would like to see more of this! It gives many opportunities for many thing! I for some reason do not think that many people will follow with this.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well so far iD is the only one who did it, and yeah, it's not like much came of it...plenty of little projects were started, but nothing came of it, and I doubt anything will come of this.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure plenty of devs out there will check their stuff out, even if they don't make anything with it, they will inhale knowledge and "ahha's", no doubt.

this is great, really, who wants to learn will get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom