Distance calculations

Best answers
Hi, i'm new here. Hope nobody suggested this before...

I was thinking about the "normal" ki attack. I mean the ability you use with the number 2. You have a primary attack and a secondary attack. With most characters, left mouse button shoots a ki ball(?) that goes straight forward and holding the right mouse button shoots several ki balls that don't go straight forward like the other attack does. I find this last attack (right mouse button) not very accurate. It seems that the idea is that the ki balls gather at a certain distance of you, but not necessarily where your target is. Would it be possible to make the game calculate the distance between you and the closest "solid" thing (a wall or an enemy, basically) that is in the direction you're aiming and make the ki balls gather at that point? I think it would make this power much more useful.

It was also thinking about a swoop toggle (i'm guessing that "swoop" is the quick flying you can do when you tap twice any directional key). I find it very annoying when you teleport or something and you have that small delay before you can actually start making the double tap to swoop. May be i'm just too anxious and i start pressing buttons before I actually teleport... je. I think that having a toggle for swoop would fix this issue (euphemism).

About blocking... May be i'm not skillfull enough, but i think it would be GREAT if the blocking were instantaneous. I know the character must assume the blocking position before the blocking is effective (i assume this is why the blocking is not instantaneous), wich takes a fraction of a second (sometimes a precious fraction of a second), but may be the blocking animation could be executed when something actually hits you. I would rip off the static defensive position, leave the "reflect ki" animation and may be add a new one for melee.

This one's not a suggestion, but a question... I've seen there are some patches that let you use TONS of new characters. Why aren't this characters included in the regular game?

PD: Sorry for the bad english, it's not my language :p.

PD 2: Congratulations for the game, people, it's REALLY awesome.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find this last attack (right mouse button) not very accurate. It seems that the idea is that the ki balls gather at a certain distance of you, but not necessarily where your target is. Would it be possible to make the game calculate the distance between you and the closest "solid" thing (a wall or an enemy, basically) that is in the direction you're aiming and make the ki balls gather at that point? I think it would make this power much more useful.
True that it is not very accurate, specially at very high distances, but I'd suggest bigger blasts for this KI balls than the other ones, instead of making them more acurate.

It was also thinking about a swoop toggle (i'm guessing that "swoop" is the quick flying you can do when you tap twice any directional key).
I think that is dash, swoop is the other one, and the game is still work in progress so problably that is going or is already fixed. :fight:

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hi, i'm new here. Hope nobody suggested this before...
Hi and wellcome to the forums.

I was thinking about the "normal" ki attack. I mean the ability you use with the number 2. You have a primary attack and a secondary attack. With most characters, left mouse button shoots a ki ball(?) that goes straight forward and holding the right mouse button shoots several ki balls that don't go straight forward like the other attack does. I find this last attack (right mouse button) not very accurate. It seems that the idea is that the ki balls gather at a certain distance of you, but not necessarily where your target is. Would it be possible to make the game calculate the distance between you and the closest "solid" thing (a wall or an enemy, basically) that is in the direction you're aiming and make the ki balls gather at that point? I think it would make this power much more useful.
Its actually spot on. But only when your crosshair is directly over the enemy. Though there is a max range to it. Oh and just cause your cursor is red doesnt mean its directly on the enemy. In any case this little oversite was fixed in 1.3 with the targeting option. Target player, shoot blasts. And they even home a bit. But not to much (well for now its to much but itll be fixed when we balance stuff).

It was also thinking about a swoop toggle (i'm guessing that "swoop" is the quick flying you can do when you tap twice any directional key). I find it very annoying when you teleport or something and you have that small delay before you can actually start making the double tap to swoop. May be i'm just too anxious and i start pressing buttons before I actually teleport... je. I think that having a toggle for swoop would fix this issue (euphemism).
Swoop toggle is a button that when pressed you start swooping with single tap. And when you press it again you can use the old doubletap system while single ap means standard slow movement. There is allso a swoop button you can use instead of swoop toggle. That button sets you to swoop mode as long as its pressed down. So basically the same thing as swoop toggle exept you have to have it pressed down and when you let go it deactivates single tap swoop.

As for 1.2.3 you can start a swoop directly from the teleport. Its a bit mroe advanced of a technique than just combining the 2 and its called teleswoop. So here is how you do it. Press the direction button for the first time, then hit teleport and then the direction button again. If done fast enough you will teleport and as soon as you come out of teleport you will start to swoop in the cirection of your choice. You may need some practice to get the timing down on it though.

It allso helps if your teleport is not the default button but rather on your mouse or somewhere easy to reach. I use mouse wheel up especially because it allows me to teleswoop in any direction i want witn little problems.

About blocking... May be i'm not skillfull enough, but i think it would be GREAT if the blocking were instantaneous. I know the character must assume the blocking position before the blocking is effective (i assume this is why the blocking is not instantaneous), wich takes a fraction of a second (sometimes a precious fraction of a second), but may be the blocking animation could be executed when something actually hits you. I would rip off the static defensive position, leave the "reflect ki" animation and may be add a new one for melee.
Blocking is instant. It starts when you press the button and it ends when you release it. There are 2 things though:
1.) In 1.2 the character hitboxes are a bit bigger than the characters. So basically you are hit before the beam actually reaches the model.
2.) You were probably playing in a server. There you have to take your ping into account. If your ping is 100 then you start blocking 0.1 seconds after you press the button because the information of you pressing the button needs to reach the server. And the ping transaction rate is 1000 ping = 1 second

PD: Sorry for the bad english, it's not my language
Dont worry your english is fine.

PD 2: Congratulations for the game, people, it's REALLY awesome.
Thank you ^^

Last edited:
Best answers
Thanks for the aswers :D. I'l take in account the red crosshair thing and the teleswoop tip. I don't have the swoop button in my ESF, though. I opened another thread for that.

When i had this thoughts about blocking I was actually playing on a server but i had less than 30 ping. I think that it should be barely noticeable. I would swear that blocking isn't effective till the model gets in blocking position... But if that's not the case, i'll have to improve my skills, i guess.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't have the swoop button in my ESF, though. I opened another thread for that.
Thats a 1.3 feature. So you dont have it in 1.2

When i had this thoughts about blocking I was actually playing on a server but i had less than 30 ping. I think that it should be barely noticeable. I would swear that blocking isn't effective till the model gets in blocking position... But if that's not the case, i'll have to improve my skills, i guess.
Remember the hitboxes are a but busted. So that allso has its toll.

Besides if blocking melee there is a 80% chance youll be fighting someone who knows how to anglehit. And with that block doesnt help you since he hits you from the side and not from the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom