Differences in attacks

Best answers
Lovin the updates guys. ESF has really come a long way in a short time with the camera angles being added and what not. It's amazing really.

I'm interested in knowing what I can't see though. Have you guys determined what the differences between the attacks will be? Like why pick one throw over another, or one attack against another? Is there anything strategically planned out to make things diverse, or is the game focusing on looking nice first and foremost?

I really enjoy games that have an element of mastery to them, not just in mechanics, but in using certain moves in certain combinations to get a desired effect, like reducing an opponent's stamina effectively, or nullifying an all out offense. Things like that. If you've played Defense of the Ancients or Heroes of Newerth, you'd get an idea of the kind of strategy I'm talking about. Characters have different moves, those different moves have different effects, and they work differently in combination with others. Very vague, but I can't really be more specific.

Anyhow, just wondering what's in the works. Looks awesome guys. I can really say I can understand and appreciate all the work and dedication you've put into this. I can't wait to play it when it comes out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lovin the updates guys. ESF has really come a long way in a short time with the camera angles being added and what not. It's amazing really.

I'm interested in knowing what I can't see though. Have you guys determined what the differences between the attacks will be? Like why pick one throw over another, or one attack against another? Is there anything strategically planned out to make things diverse, or is the game focusing on looking nice first and foremost?
I believe it's not that simple.
Even though you can't see it with your eyes. The radar shows PLAYERS and KI.
So basically, while you throw, you can always look at the radar for upcoming attacks and prepare for them.
Piece 'a caek.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
are we talking about ESF Final or ESF 1.2.3?

---------- Double Post below was added at - 06:40 AM has been merged with this post created - 06:34 AM at ----------

I believe it's not that simple.
Even though you can't see it with your eyes. The radar shows PLAYERS and KI.
So basically, while you throw, you can always look at the radar for upcoming attacks and prepare for them.
Piece 'a caek.
Agreed. At the same time this is an action almost individual game, means unlikely DotA or HoN, you can't use elements of the map to exactly "hide" yourself from the enemy, once you pick up an opponent, you will keep track of him meaning you will focus almost 100% of your attention to him and use your reflexes and skills to beat him.
And Yes the same way you "plan" an attack on the enemy, he will plan an attack/defense over your attempt, and so on.. makes the game exciting :D

PS: I swear I hit the Edit button. Did not mean to double post.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think too that "planning attacks" isn't suitable for a game like ESF
But when different characters have different fighting styles, now that's cool!! ^^

Best answers
are we talking about ESF Final or ESF 1.2.3?

---------- Double Post below was added at - 06:40 AM has been merged with this post created - 06:34 AM at ----------

Agreed. At the same time this is an action almost individual game, means unlikely DotA or HoN, you can't use elements of the map to exactly "hide" yourself from the enemy, once you pick up an opponent, you will keep track of him meaning you will focus almost 100% of your attention to him and use your reflexes and skills to beat him.
And Yes the same way you "plan" an attack on the enemy, he will plan an attack/defense over your attempt, and so on.. makes the game exciting :D

PS: I swear I hit the Edit button. Did not mean to double post.
Yeah true I understand the differences pretty well. It's not really a strategy game, it's FPS. But all the same, there's always strategic-like approaches or elements in any game you play. Why use a Dragon Punch instead of a Spin Kick? Because the spin has more range, while the dragon punch is up close. Among other differences. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Will certain Bonus Point bars be geared towards melee, mid range, longer range? Like I could see Vegeta and Trunks being more melee oriented, while Android 18 and Frieza would be like mid-long range. It doesn't mean they can't fight melee as well, but they'd have certain advantages at it, one being their attacks. That way you'd have more of a reason to play other characters aside from just liking them. Goku untrans seems more mid/long range with his spirit bomb attacks as well.

Other than characters, maybe have strategy based on Turbo usage. Like if you Charge Turbo, you shift your BP gaining momentum towards offense, so the more attacks you land, the more it raises up. Likewise, if you keep Turbo off, you gain more from blocking attacks/throwing opponents. Or if you have Turbo on regularly, which I imagine everyone will be fighting as, then it's neutral. That's like what I'm talking about. So it's more than just... ok, I have +10k Power Level now. This means all the pre-programmed mechanics in the game will allow me to do a little more damage. Whoop-dee-doo! It gives some incentive to mixing up attacks regularly.

Is there anything like that in motion yet?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Turbo is more than just PL in the final. But we are planning to give certain chars certain traits when the time comes ^^;

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah true I understand the differences pretty well. It's not really a strategy game, it's FPS. But all the same, there's always strategic-like approaches or elements in any game you play. Why use a Dragon Punch instead of a Spin Kick? Because the spin has more range, while the dragon punch is up close. Among other differences. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Will certain Bonus Point bars be geared towards melee, mid range, longer range? Like I could see Vegeta and Trunks being more melee oriented, while Android 18 and Frieza would be like mid-long range. It doesn't mean they can't fight melee as well, but they'd have certain advantages at it, one being their attacks. That way you'd have more of a reason to play other characters aside from just liking them. Goku untrans seems more mid/long range with his spirit bomb attacks as well.

Other than characters, maybe have strategy based on Turbo usage. Like if you Charge Turbo, you shift your BP gaining momentum towards offense, so the more attacks you land, the more it raises up. Likewise, if you keep Turbo off, you gain more from blocking attacks/throwing opponents. Or if you have Turbo on regularly, which I imagine everyone will be fighting as, then it's neutral. That's like what I'm talking about. So it's more than just... ok, I have +10k Power Level now. This means all the pre-programmed mechanics in the game will allow me to do a little more damage. Whoop-dee-doo! It gives some incentive to mixing up attacks regularly.

Is there anything like that in motion yet?
That would turn it A LOT MORE DOTA like game.
FPS- DBZ- Dota, lol.

That mid range and stuff attacks.. they just resemble rpg games.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That would turn it A LOT MORE DOTA like game.
FPS- DBZ- Dota, lol.

That mid range and stuff attacks.. they just resemble rpg games.
Yeah bot not mindless melee attacks. I want better melee system, not just bang bang.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hehe you're guys thread is fun to read...

basically, ESF... its gameplay is meant to be a fast paced game where skill in aiming, targetting, choosing who to attack, and how you will hurt them is up to you and how creative you can be. You can use only simple melee and gain some bonus points from that and do a bonus attack here and there and kill your enemy in a few minutes... But if you mix up the 7 different melee attacks and use beams... you could kill your opponent in mere seconds as opposed to minutes. So there actually is A LOT of skill required to play this game, a lot of which will seriously take time to master.

There are literally sooo many elements to this game that the main diversity between characters is their speed, power, life, and attacks. All of those values will always be in continuous alteration until we decide them final. I dont think we're really going to do what Disguise was talking about 100%, but we do have some ideas to help differentiate one character from another however.

Best answers
Is the team planning on adding more features and working on balancing after the game is released? I'd hope you would, since it's really an amazing game for a HL platform. If you kept updating it for another year, it'd really be epic. Like I think it'd take 10+ years before it started showing its age. I bet Naruto Kensei will be great too. I'd think it would be easier to differentiate attacks there more so than here, since everything DBZ is either a beam or a melee attack. At least the strengths/weaknesses of elements gives you something to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom