Best answers
Covers melee, duel system, lock ons, swooping. Original stance idea by Zeonix

Design Goals
1. Integrate advanced melee with simple melee
2. It must stay true to the game
3. Allow for duels
4. Automate what should be automated

Introduction
We’re probably never going to reach a consensus on what the perfect melee system is. In this design we’ve tried to come up with something that we would like while keeping in mind the desires of other people.

Before we delve into the actual melee concept, it's important to look back and realize why the system in 1.2 was a failure.

1. We had two separate, competing melee systems. Logically, someone trying to get good at the game is going to opt to use whichever system does the most damage.
2. Advanced melee required little skill and did little damage.
3. The outcome of an advanced melee fight relied heavily on luck
4. Advanced melee amounted to what was essentially DDR
5. Players became too good at simple melee making the game hard to learn for new players.
6. The recovery time for simple melee was a bit much. A player stuck on the ground would end up dying rather quickly.
7. There were many things that should have been automatic and weren't (ie: A player hit to the wall should jump off that wall automatically provided they have enough ki, recovery after a simple melee hit should be automatic, etc.). These are things that the player is expected to know, but of course no one new to the game does.
8. Simple melee combos too easy to do

I personally feel that what we've come up with addresses every one of these points.

Integrating Advanced Melee and Simple Melee
Instead of advanced melee being separate from simple melee, the entire melee system should be viewed as one whole experience.

- In order to initiate a melee hit, one swoops into the opponent with melee selected. No mouse buttons will be held down
- Depending on where you hit your opponent determines what type of move is initiated. For example

Hits from above / below: Quick throws
Side hits: Grab divebomb
Back hits: Simple melee
Head on hits: Rock paper scissors (read next section)

This brings us to the next aspect of our melee system

Fighting Stances
There will be three fighting stances. You can cycle between fighting stances by pressing left click or right click with melee selected. There can be a part on the hud that tells you your current stance

Offensive / Strong: Deals more damage, uses more ki/stamina, less speed
Defensive: Can guard against damage (so it can kinda cancel out strongs power), a good balance on speed, quick attacks and more use out of block
Neutral: Accentuates ki use, everything from flying to teleporting costs less, raises speed and endurance (less stamina use), good use of combo's

When you make a hit, depending upon what fighting stance you're on will determine what type of move is performed. For example, if you perform a melee hit from below in the offensive fighting stance, a quick throw would be performed, but in a defensive fighting stance, a prepunch like attack might be performed.

Head on hits will be a rock paper scissors like system with the winner performing a simple melee hit. If two people that are on the same stance collide with one another, I think it would be cool if they were randomly teleported around the map a few times with one of those sprites that makes it look like a big hit. During this automated scuffle, the player can do nothing but watch, both players will take a hit in health.

This system allows us to add 6 unique moves, 2 for each form (back hits will always be simple melee as back hits are hard to perform and simple melee hits are instant damage).

The following is a quickly thrown together list of possible moves. It is only used to better explain our melee concept, the moves themselves are all just fillers

Offensive / Strong:
- above / below: A far simple melee hit akin to 1.1, hit does more damage than a regular simple melee hit
- side hits: Dive bomb
- back hits: Simple melee
Defensive:
- above / below: Quick throws
- side hits: Prepunch like attack
- back hits: simple melee
Neutral:
- above / below: some type of hit followed by a ki move
- side hits: We ran out of ideas, use your imagination
- back hits: simple melee

Lock On
Do you remember the lock on target box from 1.1? This should be brought back, but it should work automatically. If you hit another player with melee, the lock on box (no longer will it be a red box, it should be a nifty looking sprite) will automatically appear around that player. If you get hit by another player with melee, the lock on box should appear around that player. The box goes away when you die or the opponent dies. You can only be locked onto one person at once.

This will allow for one to easily keep track of their opponent and best of all, requires no effort at all from the player. When a new lock on is made, text should appear on a players screen telling them who they are locked onto.

Duel System
A duel system, similar to that of the game "Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast".

Initiating the duel
- Initiated by opening up the scoreboard (tab) and right clicking on a players name
- Upon right clicking a players name, text will appear on your screen stating "You have challenged (Player name here) to a duel!"
- Upon right clicking a players name, text will appear on their screen stating "Sub has challenged you to a duel! Press J to accept or K to reject"
- If a player does not press J or K after 20 seconds, the game assumes that the duel is rejected

The actual duel
- Health resets for both players
- PL is set to 800,000 for both players
- The two players in the duel will be invincible to everyone not in the duel
- Likewise, everyone not in the duel will be invincible to everyone in the duel
- Before the duel starts, both players are frozen for three seconds, with text flashing on their screen stating "3... 2... 1... GO!"
- Duels are limited to melee, kiblasts and generic beams. No other attacks allowed
- No one else will appear on radar except for the other player participating in the duel

Exiting a duel (Need suggestions / crits)
- When one player dies, the duel ends
- Players may cancel a duel in progress by pressing the button K
- Upon pressing K, the player choosing to cancel will be frozen in place for 20 seconds. He is at the mercy of the player he is canceling on. This is to prevent players from exiting a duel in order to avoid death
- The player who is not canceling will get text which appears on their screen stating "(Player name here) is canceling the duel! Press K to cancel the duel immediately, wait 20 seconds for the duel to be over, or finish him off"
- Upon leaving a duel, your PL and Health return to the state they were in before entering the duel

Misc.
- Cvar to turn duels on / off. This cvar should be on by default
- Cvar to turn off duels canceling after one player dies. This will eliminate the need for private duel servers (Pretty cool if you think about that). This cvar should be off by default
- In the advanced section of the options menu will be a checkbox stating "Disable duel requests" This will be for players who never want to partake in duels, it'll be off by default
- Duels are limited to 1 v 1's
- Multiple duels will allowed to be going on at once

This duel suggestion written by Zeonix and Sub. Original thread

Automation
- For simple melee hits, when one is hit against a wall, they should automatically jump off provided they have the ki.
- When hit directly onto the ground with simple melee, one should automatically jump up provided they have the ki

Swooping
While technically not apart of the melee system, it is very important to melee. When swooping, pressing the fly button should make you perform a drift, dropping you out of fly mode.

We still have two swoops, and it's still completely unnecessary. I suggest we have a single swoop where you start out with a base speed, and the longer you swoop the faster you go until you reach that particular character's max speed. This eliminates the need for a second faster swoop. Alternatively, you start off with a base speed and you can control your speed by scrolling up or down on the mouse wheel. The faster you go, the more ki you use.

That is all. If you have read all of this, you are my hero.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I like everything but the canceling duels bit. You shouldn't be allowed to end a duel unless one person dies. Or leave the server and come back.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If two people want to cancel a duel, I don't see why we shouldn't let them. The guy who wants to cancel is at the mercy of the other guy, he can end him if he wants.

Best answers
Mmm, i like the duel ideas, I also am a big fan of Jedi knight: Outcast/Academy.

I assume the three ideas offense/defence/neutral also is taken from those series?

Q: Will your appearance change from Of compared to Def ? Thinking you are stronger but slower it would have to change your appearance slightly, like the way of the USS?

another thing: It has been used sometimes in DBZ that the characters used all their energy in a single serie of attacks, and then became extremely exhausted.. isn't that possible to implement?

Likewise with the powerup, but this should be used only in Offense, powering all your energy up, going beyond your normal PL and not degrading till the set time runs out, only working for a set amount of time, then after that ends, you lose all your KI (UNABLE to regain it) for like, 20 seconds? 10-20 perhaps, and fall to the ground, exhausted, only able to run for a while?

Would it make sense to implement that?

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like it. You've pointed out the current system's flaws and have solutions to most of them.

Lock on is a good idea. As is the duel, especially with all the options available. If people want to duel, let them. If not, you've got the solution.

Characters currently vary very little. Perhaps to make them different, giving each of them only two of the stances wouldn't hurt. Currently most people play Goku/Buu because they're the quickest and have the better attacks. This give other characters a chance to be chosen.

I don't think the neutral stance should be called neutral though, balanced might be a better word but that's not important.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Characters currently vary very little. Perhaps to make them different, giving each of them only two of the stances wouldn't hurt. Currently most people play Goku/Buu because they're the quickest and have the better attacks. This give other characters a chance to be chosen.

I don't think the neutral stance should be called neutral though, balanced might be a better word but that's not important.
That's actually a really intriguing idea. It might make the game harder to balance, but it would probably lessen the workload for the coders / animator.

Mmm, i like the duel ideas, I also am a big fan of Jedi knight: Outcast/Academy.

I assume the three ideas offense/defence/neutral also is taken from those series?
I'm not sure, Zeo was the one who originally came up with the idea. He's at bootcamp training for the marines so there's no way to ask him.

Q: Will your appearance change from Of compared to Def ? Thinking you are stronger but slower it would have to change your appearance slightly, like the way of the USS?
DaRk suggested that when a player is standing still, the fighting pose could be different for each character. I'm not sure though, that sounds like a lot of work.

another thing: It has been used sometimes in DBZ that the characters used all their energy in a single serie of attacks, and then became extremely exhausted.. isn't that possible to implement?

Likewise with the powerup, but this should be used only in Offense, powering all your energy up, going beyond your normal PL and not degrading till the set time runs out, only working for a set amount of time, then after that ends, you lose all your KI (UNABLE to regain it) for like, 20 seconds? 10-20 perhaps, and fall to the ground, exhausted, only able to run for a while?

Would it make sense to implement that?
In terms of the moves that could be added, anything is possible. I haven't really thought about it that much.

i didnt understand anything and it looks very complex. i read it all
Basically, where you hit someone determines the type of attack you do. So for example, if you hit someone from behind, a simple melee hit is done (the type of melee hit in 1.2.3) or if you hit someone from below, a quick throw would be done.

But we have three fighting stances that modify this. If you hit someone from below in the offensive stance, a grab move might be performed where as if you hit someone from below in defensive stance, a completely different move would be done. That's the idea in a nutshell.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well neutral is really based more around ki usage. making attack charges faster, flying a little speedier, and lowering the cost of everything that uses ki by a small percentage. but, conversely, it doesnt give you a boost in either defense or offense. so, it should probably be called something like "turbo style/form" or "ki style/form"

well, i wanted three stances so that each had something over another. that and i wanted something based around ki use and control, which is more on the DBZ side of the game, rather than completely based off of Jedi Outcast.

something like that is already implemented. in the open beta you could turbo charge up, raising your pl and speed. it takes a fair amount of ki too do.

Best answers
i'm not sure, zeo was the one who originally came up with the idea. He's at bootcamp training for the marines so there's no way to ask him.
wrong my friend!!!!
after reading your post i decided to enlist in the marines so that i may meet up with zeo in bootcamp and ask him for the solution to this little riddle that plagues us all!

seriously though, why bring back adv mellee?

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, i wanted three stances so that each had something over another. that and i wanted something based around ki use and control, which is more on the DBZ side of the game, rather than completely based off of Jedi Outcast.
I've never played Jedi Outcast, although having all three does seem to eliminate certain character > another character situations.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I definately can't stand the amount of swooping melee requires.

It's got to be changed.

Best answers
Personally I love the use of swoop but maybe its a little too fast and thats why the amount is so high. On the other hand I played 1.2 today and the amount of swoop was nearly as high as in the 1.3 open beta in the few hours I played.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What is dive bomb? I like the concept of diferent atacks when in diferent stances "wich makes me believe that the duel stuff wasnt the only thing inspired in jedi knight". Stances create a big variety in the gameplay. It makes a good challenge to get good at it wich is good - the player that masters the game would have to master the 3 stances because the point is "what is the best stance to fight against my enemy's stance?" I give this imaginary system a B+ because I think that grab and let go should have an interaction feature "like spinning your mouse very quick while grabing the enemy or something like that" the problem with grabing the enemy in 1.2.3 is that....ITS BORING, you just stare at your character grabing the enemy and awaaaay. Oh and I dont agree also with those "Automation" Features, I think that should be a part of gamers experience imo.

Nice to know there are still people worried about adv mel. ^_^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never played Jedi Outcast, although having all three does seem to eliminate certain character > another character situations.
well, im sure that we can make it so that certain characters are more attune to certain styles giving them higher stat boosts than normal.

lets say all stat boosts on the styles are 15 percent, per stat.

Buu generally uses ki over technique, so he would be attuned to Neutral styles, and gets a bigger stat boost with the neutral style over the others. so his ki attacks, flight speed, and ki control (cause of his neverending ki pool) would be placed at 25 percent higher, rather the the standard 15. (variables are only examples)

same with krillin

goku is more on the defensive side, from what ive seen in the show. so while in defensive mode he would have 25 percent higher defense, quicker attacks, and takes almost no damage while blocking.

vegeta would be neutral styles

piccolo is defensive

frieza's offensive so his damage, overall movement speed, and turbo aura powerup goes up by 25 percent

ginyu's offensive

18 is offensive

trunks is neutral based

gohan is defensive

and im probably missing someone but thats the gist of it. that way it balances all the characters out nicely, without taking away a style. and play jedi outcast. that game kicks ass

now that i look at it though, their personalities change when they go super saiyan, so maybe their base style could change when they transform.

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now that's a good way to implement it. It almost categorizes characters but not enough to force a player to play in a certain style.

Snowm@n, the automation would probably be a good idea. Being smacked into the ground should only be because you weren't careful with your ki/stamina not as a norm.

Best answers
something like that is already implemented. in the open beta you could turbo charge up, raising your pl and speed. it takes a fair amount of ki too do.
No, what is implemented is an easy powerup, that only works *very* shortly, and it has no downgrades alike that, i am talking about something more extreme with stronger downgrades, but with more gain at the moment of use, Like double the fighting power (possibly it could only be done at 10% or lower of your max health, being a technique used in desperation..)

Another thing that could be fun to make gohan more fun, could be implementing him with "rage" that makes his fighting power go EXtremely high for one attack, and then puts him way lower than his normal after that.

Best answers
Some bones to pick

-Well, what happens when i want to duel to 10, and not just one round?

-It wouldn't be the first time i didn't jump out of the wall after being hit by choice. Come on, why should that be automated? How hard can it be? Pressing space to jump. When i first tried 1.2, the first time i got stick to a wall, i pressed space by instinct.. and voilá!

-I don't really get your lock on system. One of the best things that 1.2 gave the game was freedom. Freedom to swoop wherever i want... do you want to take away my freedom?!

-I agree that the 1.2 system might not be newb friendly. But your system, although interesting, seems to be alot more complicated.. hits from above, from the back, from the side... most newbs can't even hit, let alone choose where to.

-Your system has much more to offer to pros, than to noobs. It would be a whole new concept to explore and to make new technics, changing fighting stances depending on the situation, etc etc, but it would make the game much harder, in my opinion.

-Rock paper scissors idea is just AWSOME! rather than the whole arrow thingy, thats just boring. and rock paper scissors is not all about luck, not it isnt! Please! Implement that soon!!

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-Well, what happens when i want to duel to 10, and not just one round?

dont go into duel mode, kick everyone off the server, and do it the old fashioned, 1.2 way.

-It wouldn't be the first time i didn't jump out of the wall after being hit by choice. Come on, why should that be automated? How hard can it be? Pressing space to jump. When i first tried 1.2, the first time i got stick to a wall, i pressed space by instinct.. and voilá!

why not have it automated? it's less to learn.

-I don't really get your lock on system. One of the best things that 1.2 gave the game was freedom. Freedom to swoop wherever i want... do you want to take away my freedom?!

the lockon system doesnt dictate anything. it just simply tells you who just hit you.

-I agree that the 1.2 system might not be newb friendly. But your system, although interesting, seems to be alot more complicated.. hits from above, from the back, from the side... most newbs can't even hit, let alone choose where to.

well, the idea was based off of jedi knight: jedi outcast, which was easy to play. besides, as you get better at the game you naturally learn to move around your opponent. its not really as complicated as it sounds, its just alot to think about.

-Your system has much more to offer to pros, than to noobs. It would be a whole new concept to explore and to make new technics, changing fighting stances depending on the situation, etc etc, but it would make the game much harder, in my opinion.

the game was already much harder and it was doing way better than it is now. we cant always think of the noobs or the game just wont go anywhere and will end up sucking. again.

-Rock paper scissors idea is just AWSOME! rather than the whole arrow thingy, thats just boring. and rock paper scissors is not all about luck, not it isnt! Please! Implement that soon!!

uhhh thanks

answered everything in your quote, if you cant tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom