• Old school all the way!

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What are your feelings on the current state of music? By this, I mean how do you feel about the changes that music has undergone in the last decade (1990's to the 2000's).

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of the world is so caught up in all this trend-whore mtv crap that all the rather good new music skids under the radar.

+Live shows are small and cheap.

So i'm fine with it.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
if you mean the mainstream, then it's pretty bad right now, other than that I'm fine with it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer 90's music over what's playing now.

Best answers
I would say the mainstream has gotten substantially better from the boy band and Britney Spears/clones of her and ****. Mainstream now is mostly emo and some sort of semi-hard rock that tries really hard to be punk but fails miserably. That **** all sounds the same to me. Though emo and fake punk sucks, it's better than the late 90's early 00's pop trash.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its okay atm, better than it has been for a while imo... Its really hard to say considering how many genre's there are.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The music ages were back in the 50s, 60s, 70s and some in the 80s. Everything we hear today is nothing more then a copy. I watched this one documentary on metal before it was called Metal: A Headbangers journey and they did interviews with a lot of metal band members such as Bruce D!ckinson, Toni Iommi, Rob Zombie, Dee Snider and a lot of other bands. One thing Rob Zombie mentioned in that film was this "Everything we hear today has been done in the past, everything today is nothing more then a copy pretty much"

When it comes to music I am really bias to one genre which is metal and all forms of metal. I grew up listening to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Judist Priest, Deep Purple, Dio, Rainbow and a whole **** load of other heavy metal bands. I'm open to almost every type of music except for rap which is just utter complete crap if you ask me. I would rather listen to a Garth Brooks Country Song then listen to any sort of rap crap.

As for the changes it has taken in the past decade I believe its just more of the same thing from every single band. Now a days a lot of bands rely on mechanical engineering to help improve their voice which shouldn't need to be done if your a good singer. Take Linkin Park my friend was a huge fan of Linkin Park till he heard them live and they sounded like utter **** and after that he threw out their cd's.

If a band can't reproduce their music live then to me their not a band just a couple of wannabe's. Take Bruce D!ckinson he sounds awesome in his cd's but when he performs live he sounds even better then he does on the cd I know this because I went to The Matter of Life and Death Concert back in October and was really close up like 2 rows behind the front gate which was amazing. A lot of bands can reproduce their music like Bruce D!ckinson can I went to the NiN concert this year too and Trent Reznor sounded amazing as well.

I probably got a little off topic but music is one thing I really do enjoy in life a lot and needed to explain why I like older bands over todays bands.
Also after posting I see the forum edited out ****inson and put ****inson so thats why I used the ! for the i if anyone was wondering heh.
/me kicks the stupid forums

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't stand most rap, and I despise country. That has nothing to do with today though, that's how I've always been. As for rock, I agree with Tassadar. Most of today's rock is a bunch of crap.

I hate just about everything in the mainstream right now, simply because I hear it all of the damn time, from people driving by my house with their $10 stereos blasting as if it's supposed to be "cool" or something... Stupid hip hop...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If a band can't reproduce their music live then to me their not a band just a couple of wannabe's. Take Bruce D!ckinson he sounds awesome in his cd's but when he performs live he sounds even better then he does on the cd I know this because I went to The Matter of Life and Death Concert back in October and was really close up like 2 rows behind the front gate which was amazing. A lot of bands can reproduce their music like Bruce D!ckinson can I went to the NiN concert this year too and Trent Reznor sounded amazing as well.
That's actually a major part of the reason why I like Tool. They sound absolutely amazing live.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i agree with everything that phobius says but i add an extra hell yeah to tony iommi, other than randy rhoads hes one of my favorite guitarists

as for the way music is today...well it sucks

everything now is just money, of course i speak mostly of rap. but i think part of the reason is that people are only trying to make songs based off of (and i know it sounds corny) whatever is in there hearts. no one is studying music anymore. they dont use theory, they dont base the music of of anything (i.e. different keys), it just doesnt have any technique to it.

thats only a small part, the other part is the annoying repetitiveness of all the songs being made. people arent using imagination and creativity anymore.

Best answers
This Mainstream **** thats playing on MTV and alot of the radio stations today is ****! with a capital S.

I remember when Rap used 2 be big... and i hated that. But this **** they have playing right now..... its 20 times worse.

America has a ****ty taste in music.

SO i got 1 word for ya.... TOOL!

That is all.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
America has a ****ty taste in music.
Quite the blanket statement o_O. Meh, every country produces a lot of horrible music, but there's always those handful of bands each country has that just makes some amazing ****.

Best answers
Quite the blanket statement o_O. Meh, every country produces a lot of horrible music, but there's always those handful of bands each country has that just makes some amazing ****.
like Tool....

But about this "blanket statement"... wtf is a blanket statement? Sorry, im not very smart man.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A generalization, like "All Americans are Imperial Pig Dogs from the Great Satan."

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try listening to the mainstream garbage from other countries and you'll find we aren't alone. You're only being exposed to music from one country, and not even from around the country, so you're biased.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The state of music today is terrible. I recognize that "mainstream" music has never been enjoyed by the majority (which makes you wonder why it's called mainstream at all), but some of the stuff out there is downright horrid. What I want to know is how a repeated progression (and I use the term lightly) of power chords managed to replace musicianship.

Then there's rap, hip-hop and "R&B," which isn't really R&B, but they call it that for some reason. Don't even get me started with that refuse.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to have to explain my entire theory, to explain my outlook. I can really talk about this stuff for hours.

When we look at music, we realize it's always going to change, and a genre will eventually dominate and force the others to merge.

Rock 'n Roll is on it's own though, since it can just revolve around itself. It can keep cycling through all the variations and combine some of the old ones to create a new trend. You notice how in the 50s it was Blues/Soul, the 60s it was Soul/Accoustic, in the 70s it was Accoustic/Metal, in the 80s it was Metal/Punk, and the 90s it was Punk/Grunge. Did you notice a trend?

Lately, it seems that a lot of Rock is a mix of Grunge/Blues. (Emo?) Which seems to represent that fact a cycle is iminent, and we may see more Soul/Punk become popular. Which is what I think everyone considers Alternative. Though, you'll have your current bands that stay in a past genre, either because there is an aspect of loyalty, or they don't find the current trend appealing.
-

When it comes to everything else. I believe it's all a variation of Jazz (also believe it's the original music) which seems to likely have begun with people hitting inanimate objects together in a percussive tempo. Our books say that Jazz originated in 18th/19th century New Orleans, but I believe that era was simply another level achieved behind the entire ideal of Jazz. I've evaluated that it went from simple percussion, the intensity and complexity of vocals (Soul), which met it's own renassiance with brass instruments, to the evolution of strings (Classical), and so forth.

Anyway, when it came to Jazz in the 20th century, all I ever saw was it evolving with technology. Blues, is the obviously the Gohan (emotional son) of Jazz (DBZ forum, the best analogy I could come up with), which has lead on to Rock (what I explained above). Unhesitantly, Jazz was proud of it's son, who could adapt and combine with the other levels that Jazz had accomplished in the past, or could recreate itself by combining adjacent levels, able to use these new fusions later on for recently revealed cycle that will keep it alive.

So, Jazz wanted to prove that the seed actually had simply fell short from the tree. Here comes the contraversial genre known as Funk/Disco. It took everything that Jazz had inspired/added to it's power. We all know how it recieved mixed reviews. But, Funk/Disco was like a tree I have mentioned above. It threw it's seeds, then met it's natural end. These seeds include Dance, Break, Hip-Hop, Trance, Techno, Electronica, Drum 'n Bass, etc... the list and future will go on through combinations of the aforementioned.

My theoretical explanations above should have hopefully giving you my grasp at the status.

What are your feelings on the current state of music? By this, I mean how do you feel about the changes that music has undergone in the last decade (1990's to the 2000's).
It's sad when bands like Linken Park and Coldplay prove my cycle theory.

As with the other side of the spectrum. The Rap (Hip-Hop/Techno) birth of the early 90s, the Pop (Dance/Techno) transition of the mid 90s, the Club (Break/Trance) flash of the late 90s... and the new combinations like Crunk (Rap/Trance) or Snap (Break/Rap) (these last two courtesy of my city, Atlanta) reveal it won't stop progressing.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow awesome post synth you said that way better then I ever could do.

/me tosses synth a huge 2 thumbs up!!!

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I voted twice. Once for fine with it, and once for old skool all the way. Fine with the way we're seeing more bands like The Machinae Supremacy who are coming up and gaining popularity through the internet and are driving themselves using smaller name record companies and basically marketing their own damn product. Old Skool because the industry is the problem these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom