creating server problem

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hello esf-community and developers,
at first i'd like to tell you, that im using valid steam half life 1/ESF:ECX RC2.
i have a problem with creating and running my own server. i tried using hlds.exe thing and i can't get it to work. im using tunngle for this and what i can get to work, is opening and joining my own server, but my friend can't see it and therefore not join it.

ps: im sorry if my english is not that good, because im actually a german boy^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is actually a common problem. It's probably due to your ports not being open.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
so you mean if i forward the needed ports it should show up? oh and i may forgot to tell id like to use lan game.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lan game... Hmm... Try programs like Hamachi?

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Hi Ceiber,

While Tunngle works a little bit like Hamachi in that it sets up virtual networks, hamachi is much simpler to use because you control almost every aspect of the virtual network. So like Deathshot said, try using it with Hamachi instead.

Also make sure to forward the following ports on both your router and your software firewall (either Windows Firewall or an Internet Security Suite firewall):

www.hlfallout.net said:
UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27020 to 27050 inclusive
UDP: 27015 and 27020 (default HLDS, SRCDS and HLTV port)
TCP: 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)
If you'd like help with setting up these ports, we'll need your router type and model. Also the name of any antivirus and firewalls installed.

I've noticed that if I turn off my windows firewall I can have anyone connect to my computer through Hamachi. But that's what I do, you may not feel comfortable enough doing this.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
thank you for your kind help. before i used tunngle, i used hamachi and sometimes it worked and sometimes not. i forwarded the mentioned ports and i also reinstalled hamachi (and got rid of tunngle), so im now going to try it now with hamachi.
not to forget: i have turned off firewall,too.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hamachi is a huge pile of crap nowadays, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Port forwards are totally unnecessary with any kind of working LAN or VPN configuration. However, broadcasting (and therefore game detection) will most likely not work with a VPN connection. So your friends have to connect directly to your VPN IP.

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
thank you for your kind help. before i used tunngle, i used hamachi and sometimes it worked and sometimes not. i forwarded the mentioned ports and i also reinstalled hamachi (and got rid of tunngle), so im now going to try it now with hamachi.
not to forget: i have turned off firewall,too.
You're welcome. I admit to being a bit of a fan of LogMeIn products, but I've hardly had any problems with Hamachi aside from the occasional on\off action. Anyway, good luck! Let me know if it doesn't work.

Hamachi is a huge pile of crap nowadays, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Port forwards are totally unnecessary with any kind of working LAN or VPN configuration. However, broadcasting (and therefore game detection) will most likely not work with a VPN connection. So your friends have to connect directly to your VPN IP.
The only think I find annoying about hamachi these days is their 5-client limit. But that's easily overcome by creating alot of extra networks (network 1 2 3 4 etc) and just adding the extra people that way.
What you say about the port forwarding is generally true, however it doesn't hurt to have those ports open anyway considering you are hosting a server.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hamachi was designed in such a way that it can not be temporarily (de)activated without some elaborate fiddling. I don't need programs like that on my computer.
Also, Hamachi is using a /8 network it was never assigned. These addresses are now used for the "real" internet. With Hamachi installed and Hamachi's IPv4 networking enabled you won't be able to reach the "real" destinations in 5.0.0.0/8.

And last but not least, while port forwarding will, in most cases, certainly do no harm, it is completely irrelevant for Hamachi or Tunngle.

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
So what you're saying is, you prefer something different (In both cases). I concede that point good sir!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
thank you very much for your help, i finally made it work. i forwarded all the ports and so on and i also told my friend to configure his computers firewall and its working now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom