crappy desktop icons

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
okay so these ****ty desktop icons just appear from no where and so im like wtf?

i try to click on the icons, oh great i cant click on it, cant even right click or move the damm icon

ive had these ****ty icons on my desktop for the past 2 days and its pissing me off

heres a screen shot

someone please help

Best answers
1. I think someone is playing a practical joke on you. Check to see what your wallpaper looks like. I did something like that to someone at work. I put icons on his desktop, made a screenshot, then set it as the person's wallpaper. The person kept getting temper tantrums cause he couldnt access or remove the icons :D

2. Go to your task manager (ctrl+alt+del and click on taskmanager), go to your Processes tab and End task the explorer.exe . See if the icons are there, if so see #1

3. If they are still there, open My Computer or any folder, click the dropdown button and click on the Desktop icon. If it is located on it, delete them or whatever.

I hope this helped in any way.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Check internet explorer, fifty bucks says you have a search bar.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, it's not a practical joke - you've got spyware.

I'm not even going to list the plethora of programs people recommend, you can run a search for some of them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
unfortunately i used a combo of seek and destroy and adaware, and it didnt get rid of them on mine :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not a practical joke thats for sure

ending explorer.exe makes all my icons disapear unless i restart

and when i do the destop thing i dont see the ****ty icons on the desktop folder but i see the ****ty icons on the desktop itself

yes, i have a ****ty search bar in my ie

ive tried using ad-adware SE and spybot, no luck

Best answers
O_O

I haven't seen spyware do this before. Check your C:\Program Files and C:\tmp folders for weird stuff. Since I have 2000 I'm not all that sure what folder arrangements XP has, so I can't help you with what other folders to check.

Check to see if you got Elite Toolbar. That spyware seemed to lerk it's way to many computers recently, even the public library that's near me. Run a check for files or folders named that or folders with toolbar in it.

Best answers
My guess is... You installed something when surfing the web, like some popup asking you if you want to install something... you probably pressed 'yes' (on accident maybe)

What you could try is... check 'Control Panel' and then click 'Add or Remove Programs' maybe there is some weird program in there which might have caused this... uninstall it.

And maybe resetting your IE options could also help, so that the program does not re-install again after going to that certain page that contains the program. To do that go to 'Control Panel' and then click 'Internet Options', then the TAB 'Advanced' down in the corner, press 'Restore Defaults'.

I'm not saying that this will solve your problem... there are A LOT of programs who do that kind of stuff... and it's not always the same way, so... this MIGHT help you get rid of it... I'm not sure it will...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
man this is really getting on my nerves, nothing seems to work, thanks for trying to help, got any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom