Connecting Problem

Best answers
I can play the game just fine but when I try to select a server it says that my client.dll differs from the server's, I've put that fmod.dll file in the Half-Life folder just as the other topics said but that didn't do anything, how can I solve this problem?? Can someone who's able to connect give me their client.dll???

Best answers
I've tried reinstalling everything but now whenever I start up the game or half life original in stream after showing the loading screen it gives me this garbled screen all the time, the menu options still work I just can't see anything! PLEASE REPLY I NEED HELP ON THIS :warning: :warning:

Best answers
I should have the latest versions as it worked fine graphics wise before I reinstalled it

Best answers
This looks like a corrupt installer, try downloading another one and see if that doesnt work (try another place if you want)

Try scan disk.
Try a different video mode.
Try deleting the ESF folder then reinstalling it.

Hope one of them helps.

Best answers
I think the problem is with Steam, because when I just play a normal half life game without steam then the graphics are fine but when I load either normal half life or ESF with steam it displays that same messed up window after it loads...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You do not download WON.
It's the online part of the original halflife, patch that to 1110 and try that :p

Best answers
and if it is part of the original half life why do I need to patch it to the new version? Shouldn't it already be there?

Best answers
I've installed ESF again this time using the WON version of the game, however when I try to connect to an ESF server after opening the game it tells me that I need to install the custom game before playing on the custom game server even though when I open the game the background and logo are the ESF ones... anyone know how to fix this instead? I'm sure that this is the only problem that I'll have to overcome now

Best answers
Patch to the latest version of HL (1.1.1.0)...

ps, use the edit button it saves you from posting 3 messages one after the other.

Best answers
I have the latest version of HL (1.1.1.0) installed... I did that before I installed ESF

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
rmco2003 said:
I've installed ESF again this time using the WON version of the game, however when I try to connect to an ESF server after opening the game it tells me that I need to install the custom game before playing on the custom game server even though when I open the game the background and logo are the ESF ones... anyone know how to fix this instead? I'm sure that this is the only problem that I'll have to overcome now
I think this is also caused by the fault in the esf shortcut

make sure it's

C:\Sierra\Half-Life\hl.exe -console -game esf

Best answers
I've tried changing the shortcut to that and when I open the game I see that it's added the Console option to the menu but that's all it has done, also when I choose the multiplayer option and customize my character it still has the old characters and maps and stuff so I don't think it's replaced anything like that for the game either that or it's just not loading it... what should I do?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
So you

- installed HL
-patched it to 1.1.1.0
-installed esf to c:/sierra/half-life/
-corrected the short cut and it still doesn't work?

check if the esf folder really is in your half-life folder

Otherwise,go into hl and to custom game, activate esf and see if you can play

Best answers
I've done the custom game activate thing, it's tried to connect to the server, and it's told me that the client.dll differs from the server's, plus I saw the console and it's said missing bitmap fonts and something about a scouter alongside the client.dll thing but I guess it's related to the client.dll error so how do I solve this?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Are you sure it was a 1.2 server?

Best answers
yes I was certain, it said - "ESF 1.2" on it, they were at the bottom of the list with no-one playing on them
[EDIT]
don't worry, I chose the wrong server after all, it all works now, thanks for all of your help you guys

Best answers
how do I open the BOT menu? I want to practise the commands since no-one's on the servers... and does anyone know how to put this game into windowed mode if you're using the WON connection method? I can't find anything in the video options to make it windowed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom