Concept art for a game...

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Strated working on a game, began with the Art concepts (of course).
So here's what i've done so far.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks a bit... generic. I get the feeling I've seen it countless times before. Drawing itself isn't bad, but as far as concept art goes.. you need something special, some oomph to make it stand out.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do you get the feeling you've seen it it countless times before?
Anyway, i'm going for a manga style world, and i'm kinda new to the manga style drawing.
I'm trying to make several designs for the characters in it, then let people decide which are best suited, then work on them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No no, I mean, the character itself - He just doesn't look special. You could probably find a lookalike in virtually every anime or manga out there. Goku had his haircut, Naruto has his orange jumpsuit. That's what I mean. He needs something to keep from being just a generic template for filler characters.

Best answers
Yeah, exactly like Origin says he looks too generic. You should consider adding something to make him stand out from the crowd of people. For an example you could add something like scars, wrinkles, piercings, moles, facial hair on his face, or just go with a more unique hairstyle like spiky hair, curly hair, ponytail, cornrows...etc. Hell even sunglasses could give him some difference.

Let your imagination go wild and add some cool designs or logo on his clothing and maybe add a necklace or a bracelet or something. Right now he looks like a normal character template that doesnt stand out much from anyone.
There you have a few ideas to get you started...

But i cant say you have to change him, afterall the main character of Neon Genesis Evangelion was plain as hell, but his personality sure distinguished him from the others.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Redesigned, the main char concept:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your creation process is way too specific. start by sketching a bunch of silouhettes, tiny little stick figures in different poses, just to get an idea of shapes.

then draw bigger ones, maintaining your focus on general shapes.

don't start to look at facial features etc. til right at the end, when you've got a great pose, or design going on. drawing something front and side ortho is not only boring, but it completely destroys anything that could be called "character" in the work.

what defines your character? how can you express his attitude in a blank, front facing image?

why does he have ears? are you a furry? think about that...

i'll use some of my friend MoP's work as an example of how simple little thumbnails can move forward into an amazing (and competition winning) piece of work.

see how there is no set theme, just basic forms in different poses?

and now, the ideas are becoming more refined, but there's still nothing specific at all...

seems to be settling on an idea, but you can tell that it's far from complete, and that major changes can still be applied at any point.

much more refined sketching, and almost a final concept.

finally settled on an idea, and a design.

and there is the final piece!

the general point of my post is this: you wouldn't marry the first girl you ever met, so don't get your head too stuck on your first idea for a character. just doodle, and mess around until it forms itself.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What can i say dude, thanks for the idea.
I thinks it works for me, i came up with this today at school.

And i started from this:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cool stuff, i think you're still trying to refine things too early, but it's your call ultimately.

glad to see you took it on board though, could easily have taken offense!

Best answers
What kind of game will it be? 3D? 2D?(RPG Maker stuff prolly) I'm currently making a game with RPG Maker XP. I'm just a beginner though ^_^;

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What kind of game will it be? 3D? 2D?(RPG Maker stuff prolly) I'm currently making a game with RPG Maker XP. I'm just a beginner though ^_^;
It will be 3D and a werewolf based story.

Anyways, here's another piece of... art:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom