Compilation error! HELP!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your link doesn't work. The address is exactly the text shown, which... isn't a valid URL.
Fix that, or type out the problem and we should be able to help you.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here is the deal. Befor the error message there is a path to a file. It seems that your compiler cant find that file. You might want to go throo the setup of hammer again.

But i advise you to use batch compiler. It works better than Hammers compiler.

Where you get it? Look in the mega thread of mapping sticky ^^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is a weird Hammer error. It can be from a few different things, but it usually happens when you have a fatal problem with the map (invalid brush, etc), which means required files cannot be created. The compile script continues, however, and when it reaches the point where it needs those files, they aren't there, so you get this error.

Check your compile log for errors. If you're using the default compile tools, though, (the ones that came with Hammer), then they're not going to be very informative. If that's the case, then download the ZHLT compile tools from here. You set them up to work with Hammer, by pointing it to those executables instead of the given qcsg.exe, qbsp2.exe, etc. If there's many things in the compile log you don't understand, then post it here (make an external link to a .txt file if it's very long) and we can take a look at it. You should also have Hammer check the map for problems. Go to Map->Check for Problems, or hit Alt+P. This isn't guaranteed to find all problems, and it will sometimes report problems that aren't big ones, but it can help you track down an issue sometimes.

And yes, you could also try the ZHLT Compile GUI if you wish. I use an old version of it (v8 I believe) to compile my ESF maps.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thank you very much, I followed Ready's tutorial AND the hammer tutorial for hammer config, so I don't think that's the problem, I checked for problems on both of my map, fixed them(The first never had any, because I never used advanced stuff like clipping in it, so no problems from beginning), my second map had problems, but I fixed them, I;m downloading that now (ZHLT)

Both of my maps gave this error, so I don't know what i'm doing wrong, I placed all the entities needed, but my rmx, map[p and other files are so small(60kb and down), is that a normal size for them?

EDIT:
uhhm.....gues what, another error, and I don't know what to do, man I really need to figure out what everything means, I'm still a kid, in other words i'm stupid.

Best answers
well, i am fourteen years old and i consider myself a kid. anywhoo i figured all of this by myself.
it says it can't VIS because it can't find desert sea.prt
first, try renaming it to be either desertsea or desert_sea
second, dont have the map in a folder with spaces or , or . or *'s in, that might lead to a compile error because it can't find that because of the stupid signs.

so : rename desert sea "desert_sea" and rename mods, etc "mods" finally rename ESF maps and stuff "maps" or "esfmaps" (you might have capital letters if you want to) and then run it again. if it then does not work, copy the entire
compile log, not just a picture (in text..) and post it.

Best answers
this error is in case of your desert sea.prt is in a wrong folder try to look in your hamer settings where you set your rmf folder up^^
or the path is just too long could happen too

thanks for listening
yopyop out
><

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't have a prt file, was hammer supposed to create one when I saved my map?
Thanks for your help, I changed the file names but no difference, btw, sorry for being stupid, but what is my compile log? *embarassed*

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
there should be a MAPNAME.log file in the folder where you saved the .rmf/.map file.
copy&paste the content of the .log file in here

Best answers
well when ya save yor map hammer creates a prt and some other files and these files (RMF included) should be playced where you set up your rmf folder^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But I don't know what to do, this is confusing, i'm sorry that i'm so stupid but I can't figure it out.....
does the log file automatically get created when the map is saved?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm, do I need to make any configurations to get the log file, because I don't even see one....:(

Sorry that I took so long to compile, I went on vacation for a week, sorry.

Best answers
well, if you use the ZHLT compile GUI (which i think you do now..) there comes this window that says a whole lotta stuff about hlvis and hlrad and hlcsg and hlbsp... and leafs and numportals and whatnot, that is the compile log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom