Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Due out October 16th

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Seems cool, though I don't like how slow the swings are, quite unrealistic...

Oooh! Dismemberment!!!

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unrealistic? It's pretty realistic. Tis what they were going for, these guys were history buffs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno, the speed of the swings i feel like i could just push it away with just leather gloves. it seems to down swing slower than the speed of what the sword would naturally fall for.

It looks ok, nothing eye catching for me though. It looks like it will turn into one of those, stand in front of each other, step towards and away constantly till 1 swings and misses and the other comes in for the hit during recovery.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And they are using fake practice swords... which are much lighter and not nearly as sharp.

Even the comments on the video, a great deal of them, are complaining about how fast it is and they need heavier training swords.

Last edited:
FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
And they are using fake practice swords... which are much lighter and not nearly as sharp.
They used swords that wieghted 1.6 to 2kg, a Scottish Claymore weights anywhere around 2.2kg - 2.8kg, do you seriously think .2 kg or even 1 kg more would slow the swing down as much as it is portrayed in the game?

And as far as I know sharpness has nothing to do with the speed of the swing, practice swords are not sharp, so they have to be thicker to not break, thus making them as heavy and even in some cases heavier than actual swords.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as those swords go, no the .2kg wouldn't make a difference. But the 200 or so pounds of jointed plate armor would make those maneuvers so much harder to do.

Besides which, I wouldn't really care as much about realism as just general balance with the weaponry.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
As far as those swords go, no the .2kg wouldn't make a difference. But the 200 or so pounds of jointed plate armor would make those maneuvers so much harder to do.

Besides which, I wouldn't really care as much about realism as just general balance with the weaponry.
I was expecting that, I also have an argument for your answer, watch the following video from 34 minutes onwards:

[video=youtube;NqC_squo6X4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqC_squo6X4&t=34m[/video]

200 pounds? 50 is more likely, even lighter than most samurai armors of the period.

I'm pretty sure that guy can outrun you if you don't do sports regularly.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not really sure what the video is supposed to be showing me, I only saw him talking about how cumbersome the armor was. Even considering the armor was purely chainmail and cloth leather, it would still be difficult to move around in. I know that personally from wearing it. Gloves themselves are about 10 pounds each, assuming they're lined with chain. The head gear I'll disregard. A chainmail vest would probably be around 30-40 pounds. Point still being that the guys in that video would have a much harder time doing those maneuvers, still.

I agree to you to some degree that the swings are slower than they should be, they may be basing it off of perspective, but like I said I'm much more concerned with weapons being balanced against each other.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm not really sure what the video is supposed to be showing me, I only saw him talking about how cumbersome the armor was. Even considering the armor was purely chainmail and cloth leather, it would still be difficult to move around in. I know that personally from wearing it. Gloves themselves are about 10 pounds each, assuming they're lined with chain. The head gear I'll disregard. A chainmail vest would probably be around 30-40 pounds. Point still being that the guys in that video would have a much harder time doing those maneuvers, still.

I agree to you to some degree that the swings are slower than they should be, they may be basing it off of perspective, but like I said I'm much more concerned with weapons being balanced against each other.
The video tells you exactly the opposite, if you had actually watched the video, 34 minutes onwards it shows how fast you can run with a FULL PLATE ARMOR (not chainmail nor cloth), how flexible a FULL PLATE ARMOR is, and states that the armor shown on the video weights 50 pounds.

Given that in the game, they are not wearing full plate armor, thus obviously lighter than 50 pounds and even more flexible (you can't really possibly consider chainmail and cloth with only bits of plate heavier than a full plate armor) I still say the swings are way too ******* slow and unrealistic.

The armor you wore was probably made by a fat nerd who knows jack shit about medieval warfare and was probably made of lead for some unknown stupid reason.

If you've actually practiced historical fencing, you would've known that armored fencing is completely different from unarmored fencing, it's an entirely different discipline that is fought entirely in half sword position, so not only are the movements way too slow, but also wrong.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love AOC and CMW appears to be just as awesome if not more. I'm not gonna get it because it ain't free, though.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The video tells you exactly the opposite, if you had actually watched the video, 34 minutes onwards it shows how fast you can run with a FULL PLATE ARMOR (not chainmail nor cloth), how flexible a FULL PLATE ARMOR is, and states that the armor shown on the video weights 50 pounds.

Given that in the game, they are not wearing full plate armor, thus obviously lighter than 50 pounds and even more flexible (you can't really possibly consider chainmail and cloth with only bits of plate heavier than a full plate armor) I still say the swings are way too ******* slow and unrealistic.

The armor you wore was probably made by a fat nerd who knows jack shit about medieval warfare and was probably made of lead for some unknown stupid reason.

If you've actually practiced historical fencing, you would've known that armored fencing is completely different from unarmored fencing, it's an entirely different discipline that is fought entirely in half sword position, so not only are the movements way too slow, but also wrong.
Ok, here's the thing. I'm STILL AGREEING with you about the slow swing, so I think you're really just trying to find shit to argue about and you need to stop. And while I'm sure they could go pretty quick in full plate, that still doesn't change my point being that it would be somewhat cumbersome still. And yes, I did look up the approximate weight of plate armor and, although it varies, it is about 50lbs which is 100Kg's, which was generally the point I was making. That still doesn't mean that it's not cumbersome. (Edit: Found the problem, I didn't mean to say pounds in my last post. Meant Kilograms. Curse of being an American.)

And just once again in case your still confused and being overly combative. I. AM. AGREEING. WITH. YOU. Sorry if I didn't make it clear in last post, but all I care about is the balance which is why I would leave the sword swinging as slow as it is. It's how it was in the previous game, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, I just hate the false myths that are widely spread around the world about medieval warfare.

By the way, 50lbs = 22.73kg.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love AOC and CMW appears to be just as awesome if not more. I'm not gonna get it because it ain't free, though.

Ok? This is from the AoC devs, it is retail, and they have costs to cover. Obviously it can't be free.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok? This is from the AoC devs, it is retail, and they have costs to cover. Obviously it can't be free.
I didn't say it being P2P is a bad thing, just the reason for why I'm not getting it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, I just hate the false myths that are widely spread around the world about medieval warfare.

By the way, 50lbs = 22.73kg.
Well, it's not a myth. Armor back then weighed from between 50 and 100 pounds, for however much you can trust google. I'm assuming there was more than one type of armor that was used, so it's logical to assume some armor would be alot heavier either because of the forging process or the material used. While it's probably not something they wore often to combat, unless it fulfilled certain roles, I somewhat doubt it was a lie that armor sets can get up to 100lbs. Though the only sets I can find with that kind of weight are the gold plated knight armor (I'm assuming for social events since gold doesn't block shit).

And yes, I was converting the kg's to lb's instead of the other way around. I don't deal in metrics much so it's easy to forget.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wearing a 44 kg armor and being able to swing fast? You'd need to be in very good shape to pull this off and not be tired after 3 swings.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wearing a 44 kg armor and being able to swing fast? You'd need to be in very good shape to pull this off and not be tired after 3 swings.
Did you read anything on the thread? A knight's full combat armor weights 22kg... lighter than the equipment you would carry in the army nowadays.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, it's not a myth. Armor back then weighed from between 50 and 100 pounds, for however much you can trust google. I'm assuming there was more than one type of armor that was used, so it's logical to assume some armor would be alot heavier either because of the forging process or the material used. While it's probably not something they wore often to combat, unless it fulfilled certain roles, I somewhat doubt it was a lie that armor sets can get up to 100lbs. Though the only sets I can find with that kind of weight are the gold plated knight armor (I'm assuming for social events since gold doesn't block shit).

And yes, I was converting the kg's to lb's instead of the other way around. I don't deal in metrics much so it's easy to forget.
See that? 1 0 0 L B S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom