Chinese farmers in video games get owned.....

Best answers
And gamers getting pissed off because they're forced to not play the game they payed for. I often play games for 3 hours plus with short breaks, I'd be more than offended if they introduced some crap like this over in England. Restricting the entire country to gameplay time limits just because a very small minority of people can't control their habits is ridiculous. People shouldn't be forced to "get a life". If they feel like playing a video game for 6-7 hours straight, then let them be. That's their choice. People should enjoy what they want, not what other people think they should.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well just today i showed this forum thread to one of my mates that played WoW alot and is now actually getting somewhat sick. He seems to be getting miagrains and coughing up here and there). He really took it to mind though and thought about it, he plays it for just about 15hrs a day :0 (that's how long the net cafe I go to is open for, I also just was ofered a job there due to some of my skills as most people working there at the moment lack a lot of good computer skills).

He said he would cut it down on what he does in the game, but i suggested that he seeks medical attention. He's treading on dangerous parts from here & if it doesn't change, he could really end up sicker then he currently is :\.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
And gamers getting pissed off because they're forced to not play the game they payed for. I often play games for 3 hours plus with short breaks, I'd be more than offended if they introduced some crap like this over in England. Restricting the entire country to gameplay time limits just because a very small minority of people can't control their habits is ridiculous. People shouldn't be forced to "get a life". If they feel like playing a video game for 6-7 hours straight, then let them be. That's their choice. People should enjoy what they want, not what other people think they should.

once again, can you disprove the fact that this is, actually better, both for peoples minds, and bodies?

Best answers
AxMan said:
once again, can you disprove the fact that this is, actually better, both for peoples minds, and bodies?
Banning video games altogether would be better for peoples minds and bodies. Limiting alcohol would be better for peoples mind and body. Limiting TV viewing would be better for peoples mind and body. Point is, there are a lot of things that would be better for the mind and body but people are generally given the choice as to whether or not they do these things.
It's not up to the government to decide when I want to sit down and enjoy myself playing a video game. It's not up to the government to decide when I should go out, get some excercise or "get a life". It's up to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
Banning video games altogether would be better for peoples minds and bodies. Limiting alcohol would be better for peoples mind and body. Limiting TV viewing would be better for peoples mind and body. Point is, there are a lot of things that would be better for the mind and body but people are generally given the choice as to whether or not they do these things.
It's not up to the government to decide when I want to sit down and enjoy myself playing a video game. It's not up to the government to decide when I should go out, get some excercise or "get a life". It's up to me.
if your old enough to vote, then vote for a party that doesnt care about the welfare of its citizens, if not, then shut up. the simple fact is, if the government make it so, then you have to adhere. and there IS a drinking limit, if i walked down the street, and a cop gave me a breatheliser test, and i was over a certain limit, they could hold me for 48 hours.

you would be surprised at what limits are actually in place, but that your just not aware of. and like i said. nothing bad can come of this. if you get pissed off because you cant be addicted to a game, then you NEED this restriction to be ****ing honest.

Best answers
Ban my video games? Priests don't need to eat okay...maybe if i'm like totally out of mana ill drink something, but you know typically my regen is so good cause of my high spirit so basically i am always full. I'm a lvl 60 priest, i can show you...the chinese government doesn't know anything about the gaming....Their regen is just too low

Best answers
It dosnt affect me cause i dont play eny online games.

In one hand it is a good thing cause it is healthy not to sit in a one plase for
3 hours ore more.

But in the other hand those little kids are going to have to mucht time in theyr hands
and that can be dangerious.

Best answers
AxMan said:
the simple fact is, if the government make it so, then you have to adhere.
Yes, I know that. But that doesn't mean that they're right, which is what we're discussing.

if you get pissed off because you cant be addicted to a game, then you NEED this restriction to be ****ing honest.
Oh yeah, anything over 3 hours of play means people are addicted to a game :rolleyes: As I said, there are a minority that need this restriction, there's no doubt about that. The ones that do get literally addicted to the games. The ones who's health, both physical and mental, is seriously suffering because of it. But to restrict an entire country because of such a small minority is over doing it a bit in my opinion.

Most people know when they're getting tired, or when a game is starting to affect them. They know when to turn it off. Whether it be after 2-3 hours or 6-7 hours, people know their limit. There are people who need help, but the people who don't shouldn't be punished because of those people.
I readily admit, something definitely needs to be done about those that do get addicted. I just think this is the wrong way to go about doing it. Restricting what people do in their free time of all things is unfair.

I personally agree with the idea that kids, and adults, should be encouraged to go out and do other things, by parents, by the government, by whatever. The same way that the government over here trys to discourage smoking, but doesn't ban it. Trys to encourage healthy eating, but doesn't force it. It's not the most effective way, but it does respect a persons right to choose.

and there IS a drinking limit, if i walked down the street, and a cop gave me a breatheliser test, and i was over a certain limit, they could hold me for 48 hours.
Yeah, I didn't think that example through very well. But even so, the amounts you are allowed to drink can still have quite an effect mentally and physically. To be fair though, alcohol is very hard to limit of course. It's not like you can physically stop anyone drinking over the limit, especially if they're doing it in their own home.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this idea is awesome. But they need to understand that enforcing this system on monthly subscribers, PAYING CUSTOMERS to certain games is going to piss alot of people off and that they will most likly kill online gaming in said country. The limit doesn't seem too strict, but just the fact that you know there is a limit is reason enough to get pissed. I think that the idea is good in theory but they need to consider the consequences of telling thousands of 300 pound [stereo type] WoW addicted players that they can't play longer then 3 hours. Lets just say I would flea the country :D.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about if you get one day free a week from work, and usually u play a MMO game, on that day to relax, as part of your hobby, but instead of being able to play it to the point you're satisfied u have to stop after 3 hours? Bull****.

I have to say i hate this idea, it can be inconvientient to say the least, not only that but if you choose to play computer games for over 3 hours, that is entirely your choice, and for children it is the parents job to educate them about what is healthy, sitting infront of a computer for 5 hours a day isnt, and any good parent that gives a **** about their childs welfare should make sure their child knows that. I know for a fact that a lot of people (in this country) watch tv for much more than 3 hours a day, they dont start to make the screen get smaller the longer you watch it.

Mad AxMan said:
you would be surprised at what limits are actually in place, but that your just not aware of. and like i said. nothing bad can come of this. if you get pissed off because you cant be addicted to a game, then you NEED this restriction to be ****ing honest.
Yes, i agree to a point that being to involved in a game isnt a great thing, but lets see, is there a limit on reading? you can read a book for more than 10 hours in a day and not finish it, is that unhealthy? of course, but why is there no law in place so people dont do that? because people typically dont have to rely on being punished by the government to know that they're becoming uncomfortable, or they need something to eat, or need some rest. If they're stupid enough to ignore the fact that their bodies are telling them that they're tired, or telling them that what they're doing isnt good for them, then it is their fault, also people should know that playing computers that long is bad for you. Ignoring that should be the crime, not breaking a rule that's customised for the idiots who have no self control.

The point being is that the responsible people who can think for themselves get underminded by the government, even if they play in what is healthy doses to them, they're not allowed the freedom to decide for themselves what is right for them. I'd feel insulted, wouldn't you?

More rules are not needed, just new ways of thinking.

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
if your old enough to vote, then vote for a party that doesnt care about the welfare of its citizens, if not, then shut up. the simple fact is, if the government make it so, then you have to adhere. and there IS a drinking limit, if i walked down the street, and a cop gave me a breatheliser test, and i was over a certain limit, they could hold me for 48 hours.

But Gir, the people that are doing things like this do NOT care about the welfare of their citizens... per se. These actions are mainly exhibited by Republicans (a la, Jack Thompson) and (apparently) Communist. It's the Liberals/Democrats that care... Care enough to believe that every person has their own mind.

To tell you the truth, I think this could be beneficial. I don't like it, and I hope it doesn't come to NorthAm, but if it does it wont make a big difference to me, since I rarely play online anyways.... Hence the problem with it, still. It doesn't prevent one from playing, say, the Sims 2, Half-Life 2, KoTOR II, or even running to one's console and playing Madden Football or GTA: SA.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once again, can you disprove the fact that this is, actually better, both for peoples minds, and bodies?
It has been proven many times in the independent (meaning non-federal or university-funded) studies of the gamer community.

People who play video games are consistently smarter than people who don't in many areas, including reaction time and quickness as far as thought processes go. They also demonstrate vastly superior results in fast-paced work environments, as well as problem-solving situations.

You have to look at the other side of the coin, too. So what, you're saying going outside and playing football for 6 hours a day instead of playstation is 'healthier' ? Statistically a high portion of gamers are actually NOT fat and I have read plenty of articles and studies that have pretty unanimously agreed that they are among the least lazy social groups in the 18-25 age range to date.

It is also a well known fact, as this forum itself demonstrates, that video gamers have far more creative nurturing and are almost universally excellent multitaskers, most of whom have several hobbies, and not only videogaming. I myself do like seven to ten things, but a good amount of them require the use of my computer. Video gamers are also very sociable types, and are seldom the reserved fat slobs that the government has perpetrated us to be.

There is no such thing as addiction to a video game. Addiction to substances is vastly different than video games. Video games do not inject ****ing chemicals directly into your brain that your body gradually has huge difficulty living without.

I'm sorry, but if I'm addicted to video games, then I'm also addicted to writing, drawing, playing guitar, and my job (dont' even get me freaking started on that--oh it's ****ing okay for me to sit in front of a computer screen for ten hours a day if I'm processing claims or building a newspaper page, but not if I'm playing WoW, right?). Quick, someone call the government before I hurt myself.

I don't think videogames are unhealthy at all. If you are dumb or lazy enough to spend all of your time playing a video game (and 6-12 hours, believe it or not, isn't always 'all of your time'...days off, vacations, etc), not eating or sleeping enough, then you were in a ****ing unhealthy state of mind to begin with.

Let me ask you something. You think playing guitar for eight hours a day is any healthier, Lee? You think you get any more exercise or brain food doing that then playing a video game? Uh oh, I guess the government should come in and tell you that you can't play for more than an hour a day, cause they think you should go outside and get a tan.

The only reason why people play video games are because they are fun and are great, stimulating entertainment. Moreso than nagging crybaby attention-whore wives (God I want to just beat those whiny 'WoW Widows' with a sledgehammer), moreso than mind-numbing jobs, moreso than sitting in front of the idiot box all day.

Just because a few crazy third world nothingfaces wanted to farm enough gold to make 50 bucks american doesn't mean that the rest of the gaming community should have to pay. I say give me my video games or give me death. After all...just think of it from the perspective I laid out earlier, Lee. How would you feel if someone walked into your house and put a machine on all your amps and guitars that muted them after an hour or so?

This whole thing is ridiculous. Great idea for China, because those guys are nucking futs, and beyond that it is also a huge problem over there (people installing pirated WoW copies on work computers, gold farming on company time, etc...these types of things have always been a huge deal there). But keep that **** out of my world.

If they DO bring this stupid ****ing idea here I swear to god I'm going straight to Canada. The girls are like ten times hotter, the people are nicer, all my dollars equate to a dollar and a quarter, and the government doesn't shove its totalitarian bull**** into my personal life.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is this debate about a three hour restriction, or is it about the idea of limiting sitting sessions in online RPGs? What if it was 4 hours? What if it was 3 hours, and you only had to take a 2 hour break before you could play again? I just think the idea has merrit. It wouldn't ever happen in the US, I don't believe, because we come off as the most spoiled nation of all when it comes to what we are allowed to do to ourselves and with our time. One example of a 'healthy' restriction that bombed horribly would be the prohibition. No, I'm not directly comparing the two, I'm just pointing out that people tend to find ways around things and will immediately vote for the next guy who offers to repeal it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even if it was merely a two hour wait before I could play a game again...suppose I only had five hours of time before my work week takes off and I can't play again till like 6 days later. What then?

It has no merit. It should be up to people what we do with our time. If we suck at our jobs because of it, we should get fired...not babied.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I allways think of it as, id rather sit infront of my pc for like 5 hours, DOING something, rather than sit in front of the TV for 5 hours doing NOTHING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom