Chinese farmers in video games get owned.....

Best answers
China blocks online gamers from playing for more than 3 consecutive hours

By Faye Wang

Shanghai. August 23. INTERFAX-CHINA - The Chinese Government unveiled a new system Tuesday to prevent individuals from playing online games for more than three consecutive hours, which must be installed for every online game in the country.

"This timing mechanism can prevent young people from becoming addicted to online games," Kou Xiaowei, Deputy Director of the Audiovisual and Internet Publication Department of the General Administration of Press and Publication (GAPP), said during a press conference.

The new system, developed under the guidance of the GAPP, stops individuals from playing online games for more than three hours by cutting the abilities of game characters. The new system cuts the ability level of a player's online game character by half after he or she has played for more than three consecutive hours. Once a player has played for more than five consecutive hours, the system cuts the ability level of that player's character to the lowest level allowed by the game.

The system also lowers the ability of players to find treasures or prizes available in an online game after they have played for more than three consecutive hours.

Furthermore, the system keeps track of hours of play. Individuals who immediately log back onto a game after three hours of consecutive play will continue to have the ability of their game character lowered by the system. Players must be logged off for a minimum of five hours before the system resets.

The GAPP has defined the playing of online games for less than three consecutive hours as "healthy," playing three to five consecutive hours as "tiring," and playing for more than five consecutive hours as "unhealthy."

In addition, seven of China's largest online gaming firms pledged Tuesday to "sacrifice short-term revenues" to create a "healthy" environment for young internet users. Companies signing onto the "Beijing Accord" were Shanda, NetEase, The9, Optisp, Kingsoft, SINA, and Sohu. These seven companies also pledged to deploy the system when development is completed.

Development of the system is scheduled for completion at the end of September 2005. Internal testing is scheduled to begin in October of 2005. After internal testing, trial operations of the system will be held using the games "The Legend of Mir II" and "The World of Legend" operated by Shanda, "Westward Journey Online" and "Fantasy Westward Journey Online" operated by NetEase, "World of Warcraft" and "MU" operated by The9, "JX Online" and "First Myth Online" operated by Kingsoft, "The Legend of Mir 3G" operated by Optisp, "Lineage II" operated by SINA, and "Blade Online" operated by Sohu.

Compulsory deployment of the new system is expected to begin for all massive multiplayer online role-playing games and casual games in China in late 2005 or early 2006.

http://www.interfax.cn/showfeature.asp?aid=4913

Best answers
Its a dream come true! *sniff*

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about this for Freelancer.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
that is rediculous, so much for all day playing WoW for china

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
DarkSniper said:
that is rediculous, so much for all day playing WoW for china
Does that mean that their subscription fees must go down? If they are limited to 3 hours a day, server stress is likely to go down.

What do you expect from communism anyway?

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
"OHNOES THE SERVER STOLE MY UBER POWERFUL SWORD :(".

Just glad if it doesn't come our way, I would hate that to happen. On second thought though I bet people are gonna buy multiple copies of the game, unless they design it accordingly to log a user's ip address.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
lol. they should do this in korea, just to piss of the lineage 2 farmers.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
it doesn't matter anyways, someone's jsut going to hack the code and release a crack around the net.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Iyce Da Kidd said:
it doesn't matter anyways, someone's jsut going to hack the code and release a crack around the net.
Yeah, thats going to go over well with Chinese government...

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
ok, lets put a device on every bottle of beer that allows you only to drink 1/3 of it, else it will close the bottle. if you try to drink another bottle giant robots with lasers will appear and shoot you.

man this is so sick.

i guess "free will" and "common sense" doesnt mean anything over in china.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
So much for Communism being good in theory.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
DragonDude said:
So much for Communism being good in theory.
hahaha, that just made my day XD

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If they can somehow pull it off, I'd fully support it. Games aren't designed to exhaust you to the point where you play them to sleep, which is what a lot of American MMORPG players do, and is incredibly unhealthy. You're more tired in the morning, your metabolism is terrible in the process, and you don't accomplish anything in the money-making future-molding world. Three hours a day is good enough, and on a weekend you could still hit six hours if you timed it. Besides, even after the 3 hour thing you could still perform trading and other miscelanious tasks that don't require an effective character.

The fact that sitting in front of a computer for 5-8 hours straight is unhealthy should be common sense, but people seem to be spoiled to the point where they no longer believe in their own physical health or in expanding their horizons beyond a couple of computer games. What people don't seem to realize is that if this kind of thing was implamented, within a few months people would be used to it and it wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue as it'd be when it was first introduced. I think it's an interesting idea that should be attempted and gauged for potential.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
If they can somehow pull it off, I'd fully support it. Games aren't designed to exhaust you to the point where you play them to sleep, which is what a lot of American MMORPG players do, and is incredibly unhealthy. You're more tired in the morning, your metabolism is terrible in the process, and you don't accomplish anything in the money-making future-molding world. Three hours a day is good enough, and on a weekend you could still hit six hours if you timed it. Besides, even after the 3 hour thing you could still perform trading and other miscelanious tasks that don't require an effective character.

The fact that sitting in front of a computer for 5-8 hours straight is unhealthy should be common sense, but people seem to be spoiled to the point where they no longer believe in their own physical health or in expanding their horizons beyond a couple of computer games. What people don't seem to realize is that if this kind of thing was implamented, within a few months people would be used to it and it wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue as it'd be when it was first introduced. I think it's an interesting idea that should be attempted and gauged for potential.
Quoted for wisdom.

Of course, people should use common sense, but it does happen that people sit behind their computer games for 50 hours and become ill in the process, and this is merely to protect the people who have no self-control. People who don't play as much won't likely be hurt by this as much.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I could see the health benefits of this, and thats exactly what its, it should be common sense to stop playing and do something constructive/healthy/active. There are some jobs that require you to sit at a computer desk for even more than 3 hours, which is supposeively fine, but doing that with a computer game is not.

Obviously, the job has a moe rational reason, but maybe someone has the day off and wants to spend the whole day from the tiem he wakes up to the time he goes ot bed, playing a computer game, for whatever reason. There is wanting to get stuff done by playing the game for a long time and then there is unhealthy obssesion. It is completly possible to balance a job, working out and then have day of complete computer gaming, if they desired to.

I'm not promoting the idea of sitting infront a game all day, I just think that sometimes some people just want to better there character while seeing results in a short span of time. A forceful 3 hour limitation and a 5 hour 'cool-down' time is just a little too far, but the idea behind it is good and I belive it could be carried out better,

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
lets just say hypothetically that a single PC has multiple users that play the same game, they would be screwed >_>

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:

Rob Rocker Fun Fact: Of all three or four cases that I have heard of where idiotic third world jackanapes have actually dropped dead or had their physical well being compromised due to extended video gaming, literally all were of asian/pacific descent.

You ask me, they were asking for this.

It is also a fairly documented fact that most of the computer software in China is pirated anyway, second only to South Korea (which I remember reading as having an approximate 97% ratio of pirated software throughout the country, including their commercial industries). Most of the gold farmers we see in WoW are just trying to make a few 'amellican dorrah' on the side and unfortunately the way WoW is built you don't get 500 gold unless you sit there for 25 hours. It's not our fault these people are so desperate/stupid/ignorant of their own well being that they would choose to opt out of taking a break. In the end these psychos make all of the 'normal' gamers look bad, and just further the horrible myth that video games are "deadly and addictive." Bottom line, the government stepped in, and in many ways I give them credit for it; obviously the people of China can't figure out when to say when, according to the news as far as VG-related incidents are concerned.

Chakra said:
Yeah I could see the health benefits of this, and thats exactly what its, it should be common sense to stop playing and do something constructive/healthy/active. There are some jobs that require you to sit at a computer desk for even more than 3 hours, which is supposeively fine, but doing that with a computer game is not.

Obviously, the job has a moe rational reason, but maybe someone has the day off and wants to spend the whole day from the tiem he wakes up to the time he goes ot bed, playing a computer game, for whatever reason. There is wanting to get stuff done by playing the game for a long time and then there is unhealthy obssesion. It is completly possible to balance a job, working out and then have day of complete computer gaming, if they desired to.

I'm not promoting the idea of sitting infront a game all day, I just think that sometimes some people just want to better there character while seeing results in a short span of time. A forceful 3 hour limitation and a 5 hour 'cool-down' time is just a little too far, but the idea behind it is good and I belive it could be carried out better
Quoted for wisdom and truth.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
i think its a good idea, and id support it going to america, or england. it will force people to actually have a life, which imo is far more healthy than playing a game all the time. but thats just the shorthand scope, theres far more benefits to it.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
i think its a good idea, and id support it going to america, or england. it will force people to actually have a life, which imo is far more healthy than playing a game all the time. but thats just the shorthand scope, theres far more benefits to it.
So the kid gets up, takes a dozen or so steps and plays Xbox instead.

What we need are parents that encourage their children to do other activities, rather than keep buying them the latest and greatest pixel boxes. Wouldnt hurt if the kids werent so damn lazy either, but oh well.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, i get what your saying, but you gotta realise that while not every parent recognises it as a concern, governments DO. so the governments (who are voted for by parents to reprisent them on issues such as this) are doing something about it. like i said, nothing bad can possibly come of this at all. except blizzard getting pissed off due to lack of customers >_>

but hay, thats not all bad either :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom