Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ever heard the phrase "You guys are fighting like cats and dogs" ????

but anyways.... DP is right about the pet's attitude and demeanor being based on how much attention and care the owner actually takes into consideration.

Best answers
Cats are a muchh better animal dont have to walk them give them baths pretty much what most people said

Best answers
I like both just about as much, it all depends on the animals personality. I like larger dogs better than smaller ones because little dogs act more like cats than dogs. They are always jumping up on everything so they can see whats going on.

Here is an interesting phrase that i've heard before.

For dogs: You feed a dog and the dog will say, wow he brought me food he must be a god.
For cats: You feed a cat and the cat will say, wow he brought me food I must be a god.

Best answers
dogs are the shiz man i have two little dogs yorkie and a mini shounzeier (no clue how to spell that) they never shed i probally have to give them a bath maybe every month and a half no big deal and there very friendly expect when the yorkie whos name is snickers is crabby RUN FOR YOUR LIVES lol with my friends hes the satan dog cause he just gets a little crabby put with me he never does any of that stuff guess he is just protective

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
either way, lubblah pets, i prefer dogs, dosnt mean i havnt got cats, =)

oh yeah...was there a point to this whole thread apart from a growing flame festival? =d

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer dogs over cats anyday. I have had both, and both have been raised with a great amount of care and love - but the loyalty and friendly interaction that a dog offers walks all over stupid cats.

Forming a statement against dogs by saying that 'dogs smell' and 'dogs drool' is complete bull**** in my opinion. It's like saying "Cats cough up furrballs, cats stink, cats are scratch your furniture, blah blah...". Both dogs and cats are animals, you can't expect either of them to stimulate perfect human behaviour/character.

So like I said, I prefer dogs over cats anyday.

(My statements above aren't directed towards anyone in particular, and hold true only from the point of view that they are a part of my opinion.)

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Although I've never had a cat or a dog as a pet, I somehow prefer cats. I cannot offer any explanation as to why.

My family has been more of a small animal family, anyway. Currently, we have a Chinchilla ^_^

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys are like, "Well, MY dog doesn't drool, bark constantly, chew things up, shed fur, have to be walked constantly," etc, or "I LIKE that he barks! No security system for me!" Whether you trained your dog to not bark constantly isn't the point--they do it by nature if not specifically trained. Dogs are, in general, a lot more maintainence than cats. It's a wonder they were ever able to survive on their own without complete Human dependance.

And you don't see "Beware of Cat" signs, because Cats aren't known for viciously mauling the HELL out of people for little to no reason. Sure, mistreated or just plain mean (i.e., Siamese) have known to scratch people, but dogs are put to sleep by the Government for being too violent, killing babies, biting chunks out of people's legs, etc.. People train these things to be vicious killers, because they are, in part, by nature. Pitbulls, for instance--Completely outlawed in Virginia. You can't move here with one, you can't breed them here. If you owned a pitbull before a certain date, you can keep it, but that's it. There were something like 17 cases in one year of pitbulls--not abused, or trained to be 'guard dogs,' just going berserk on people for no reason.

It's not the fact that dogs do any ONE of these things, it's the fact that they do them all. You have to specifically train them not to do each of these things, and some dogs, depending on their personality, will do them forever. And in the first few weeks of getting a dog, you're going to be scrubbing their **** out of your carpets and soaking up their urine. Not my idea of a good time. Whereas, all the cats I've gotten have just instinctively known to use the catbox. And dogs, as they get older, tend to have more "accidents" than cats.

And someone said "Dogs. Cats don't do much, really. All they really know how to do is lick their *******s all day. And why is intelligence involved? They are still just animals."

Well, my last cat was intelligent enough to open doors, including sliding glass doors. (Well, just one. She'd prop herself up on this bureau, and push her weight against the handle, to push open the door. She couldn't unlock it, obviously.)

Dogs have also been known to become very jealous of babies, even going so far as to hurt them if showered with attention over the dog.

Not really man's best friend.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
You guys are like, "Well, MY dog doesn't drool, bark constantly, chew things up, shed fur, have to be walked constantly," etc, or "I LIKE that he barks! No security system for me!" Whether you trained your dog to not bark constantly isn't the point--they do it by nature if not specifically trained. Dogs are, in general, a lot more maintainence than cats. It's a wonder they were ever able to survive on their own without complete Human dependance.

And you don't see "Beware of Cat" signs, because Cats aren't known for viciously mauling the HELL out of people for little to no reason. Sure, mistreated or just plain mean (i.e., Siamese) have known to scratch people, but dogs are put to sleep by the Government for being too violent, killing babies, biting chunks out of people's legs, etc.. People train these things to be vicious killers, because they are, in part, by nature. Pitbulls, for instance--Completely outlawed in Virginia. You can't move here with one, you can't breed them here. If you owned a pitbull before a certain date, you can keep it, but that's it. There were something like 17 cases in one year of pitbulls--not abused, or trained to be 'guard dogs,' just going berserk on people for no reason.

It's not the fact that dogs do any ONE of these things, it's the fact that they do them all. You have to specifically train them not to do each of these things, and some dogs, depending on their personality, will do them forever. And in the first few weeks of getting a dog, you're going to be scrubbing their **** out of your carpets and soaking up their urine. Not my idea of a good time. Whereas, all the cats I've gotten have just instinctively known to use the catbox. And dogs, as they get older, tend to have more "accidents" than cats.

And someone said "Dogs. Cats don't do much, really. All they really know how to do is lick their *******s all day. And why is intelligence involved? They are still just animals."

Well, my last cat was intelligent enough to open doors, including sliding glass doors. (Well, just one. She'd prop herself up on this bureau, and push her weight against the handle, to push open the door. She couldn't unlock it, obviously.)

Dogs have also been known to become very jealous of babies, even going so far as to hurt them if showered with attention over the dog.

I completely agree with you

Best answers
SailorAlea said:

I 100% agree with that as well

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I don't know what you heard, but when you get a pet, it's supposed to be a responsibility. The main part of owning a cat or a dog, is taking care of it. You don't go to a pet shop and get a cat or a dog, with the intent of spending little or no time with it. I can't understand how you think that saying the main point for getting a pet is the reason not to have one.

Heh, I've seen cats that are more aggressive and ferocious than most dogs, it's just becuase it's a small weak ass animal that they're not as dangerous. My friend had a cat named "cat" and everytime i went to his house, it would tear the hell out of my clothing, they had to give it away becuase it was such a bastard. Also, I have friends that own pitbulls that are nicer than you'd think, you can't blame the dogs temperment on the dog, when the person raising him is doing it poorly or deliberatley making them angry and vicious. ANY dog can become friendly, and ANY dog can become mean. Same goes with cats.

"Dogs have also been known to become very jealous of babies, even going so far as to hurt them if showered with attention over the dog."

Oh really, well it's also well known that dogs that grow up with a child become very protective of it as well. You and I can both start telling eachother we're wrong and bring up personal experiences and thing's we've heard of, but it doesn't matter, it all depends on how you raise the dog.

Alea, your argument is very hypocritical, you're defending cats from stereotypes, while attacking dogs with stereotypes.

Best answers
Phatslugga said:
Okay, I don't know what you heard, but when you get a pet, it's supposed to be a responsibility. The main part of owning a cat or a dog, is taking care of it. You don't go to a pet shop and get a cat or a dog, with the intent of spending little or no time with it. I can't understand how you think that saying the main point for getting a pet is the reason not to have one.

Heh, I've seen cats that are more aggressive and ferocious than most dogs, it's just becuase it's a small weak ass animal that they're not as dangerous. My friend had a cat named "cat" and everytime i went to his house, it would tear the hell out of my clothing, they had to give it away becuase it was such a bastard. Also, I have friends that own pitbulls that are nicer than you'd think, you can't blame the dogs temperment on the dog, when the person raising him is doing it poorly or deliberatley making them angry and vicious. ANY dog can become friendly, and ANY dog can become mean. Same goes with cats.

"Dogs have also been known to become very jealous of babies, even going so far as to hurt them if showered with attention over the dog."

Oh really, well it's also well known that dogs that grow up with a child become very protective of it as well. You and I can both start telling eachother we're wrong and bring up personal experiences and thing's we've heard of, but it doesn't matter, it all depends on how you raise the dog.

Alea, your argument is very hypocritical, you're defending cats from stereotypes, while attacking dogs with stereotypes.

Anyway thats that cat most cats are not like that

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You missed my point, my point is that personal stories, and things people have heard don't matter. Any dog or cat can have any outcome in regards to personality, depending on the owner.

Best answers
This is My Simple Oppion so please dont flame me if its stupid ^^"..

Here are my 10 reasons why i think dogs are better than cats.

1. Dogs will tilt their heads and try to understand every word you say. Cats will ignore you and take a nap.

2. Cats look silly on a leash.

3. When you come home from work, your dog will be happy and lick your face. Cats will still be mad at you for leaving in the first place.

4. Dogs will give you unconditional love until the day they die. Cats will make you pay for every mistake you've ever made since the day you were born.

5. A dog knows when you're sad. And he'll try to comfort you. Cats don't care how you feel, as long as you remember where the can opener is.

6. Dogs will bring you your slippers. Cats will drop a dead mouse in your slippers.

7. When you take them for a ride, dogs will sit on the seat next to you. Cats have to have their own private basket, or they won't go at all.

8. Dogs will come when you call them. And they'll be happy. Cats will have someone take a message and get back to you.

9. Dogs will play fetch with you all day long. The only thing cats will play with all day long are small rodents or bugs, preferably ones that look like they're in pain.

10. Dogs will wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.

But then again cats are better than dogs in some ways as well.

1. Cats purr. Dogs drool.

2. Cats rub your leg when they want affection, not when they're horny.

3. Cats use a litter box. Dogs use your leg.

4. In 1996, over 10,000 US deaths were attributed to a dog owner's choking on saliva during morning wakeup licks.

5. Cats always land on their feet. Dogs just won't let you throw them.

6. Cats will wait until you've read your morning paper before tearing it to shreds.

7. Cats look cute sleeping on the TV. Dogs just crash right in front of the screen.

8. Fewer cat owners suffer from 'Flappy Tail' lacerations than dog owners.

9. No one has ever had to "Beware of the Cat".

10. Cats bury their crap. Dogs dig up others'.

11. Cats have better things to do than stick their nose in your crotch.

12. Why do you think they call it, "Dog Breath?"

So i guess im gonna have to go with there both great pets and people just have diffrent taste, some people want dogs, some people want cats, im the type who want both ^_^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im a cat person - love my cat! :D

lookatim! So cute! :D

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phatslugga said:

Um.. If you're getting a Pet, just to test your sense of responsibility, you shouldn't be getting a pet in the first place.

The main part of owning a pet is not taking care of it. It's raising it, and having some company. I'm sorry, but changing your catbox or cleaning up your dog's crap, is not "the Main Part of Owning a Pet."

Just because your friend has a ill-tempered cat, doesn't mean the majority of cats are. I've met literally _hundreds_ of dogs that I didn't like because they were ill-tempered, or continually barked. The kind who have to be put 'in another room' while people visit the house.

Whether or not you've met pitbulls that are nice, is irrelevant. The state of Virginia found them to be statistically unsafe--they were too prone to turning violent, compared to other dogs. And it had nothing to do with the way they were raised, as I said before--not trained to be guard dogs, and weren't abused in all of the cases they examined.

Sure, any cat and any dog can become mean and violent. But dogs are more likely to do so, by nature. Without any abuse whatsoever.

I've seen protective dogs. Illogically protective. And I've also seen jealous dogs. My aunt's dog tried to bite the hell out of my sister when we were there, because it was jealous of all the attention she was getting, as a new-born baby. And it wasn't a vicious-natured pitbull. It was a maltese--a small, furry dog.

What you're calling stereotypes are really just personal experiences. So you may have had bad experiences with cats. Sounds like you haven't owned both. Only people who have, have a valid viewpoint to discuss them, in my opinion.

Best answers
Sakura said:

1. Dogs will tilt their heads and try to understand every word you say. Cats will ignore you and take a nap.

3. When you come home from work, your dog will be happy and lick your face. Cats will still be mad at you for leaving in the first place.

4. Dogs will give you unconditional love until the day they die. Cats will make you pay for every mistake you've ever made since the day you were born.

5. A dog knows when you're sad. And he'll try to comfort you. Cats don't care how you feel, as long as you remember where the can opener is.

6. Dogs will bring you your slippers. Cats will drop a dead mouse in your slippers.

7. When you take them for a ride, dogs will sit on the seat next to you. Cats have to have their own private basket, or they won't go at all.

8. Dogs will come when you call them. And they'll be happy. Cats will have someone take a message and get back to you.

9. Dogs will play fetch with you all day long. The only thing cats will play with all day long are small rodents or bugs, preferably ones that look like they're in pain.

10. Dogs will wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.

4. In 1996, over 10,000 US deaths were attributed to a dog owner's choking on saliva during morning wakeup licks.

6. Cats will wait until you've read your morning paper before tearing it to shreds.

7. Cats look cute sleeping on the TV. Dogs just crash right in front of the screen.

So i guess im gonna have to go with there both great pets and people just have diffrent taste, some people want dogs, some people want cats, im the type who want both ^_^

Ha...u hit it right on the nose and i agree with this whole post me like fairness :)

Best answers
Sakura said:

As much as i hate to admit it, that was well said sakura, you broke down both sides from each point of perspective like the guy said above which is fairness so yea umm good work on your first ever decent post that ive agreed with :yes: :laff:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Um.. If you're getting a Pet, just to test your sense of responsibility, you shouldn't be getting a pet in the first place.
It's not to test your responsibility, but to have a pet IS a responsibility, and if you don't understand that then I can't really argue anymore.

The main part of owning a pet is not taking care of it. It's raising it, and having some company. I'm sorry, but changing your catbox or cleaning up your dog's crap, is not "the Main Part of Owning a Pet."
Ok, raising it, is taking care of it, so I don't know where you're going with that.

Just because your friend has a ill-tempered cat, doesn't mean the majority of cats are. I've met literally _hundreds_ of dogs that I didn't like because they were ill-tempered, or continually barked. The kind who have to be put 'in another room' while people visit the house.
Like I said, we can bring up all of the stories we want, doesn't matter, it depends on the owner.

Whether or not you've met pitbulls that are nice, is irrelevant. The state of Virginia found them to be statistically unsafe--they were too prone to turning violent, compared to other dogs. And it had nothing to do with the way they were raised, as I said before--not trained to be guard dogs, and weren't abused in all of the cases they examined.
So don't get a pitbull, I remain confident that a Pitbull raised in my house would never become violent. Also, the only reason cats aren't banned is becuase they really can't do much harm if they wanted to. Allthough there are cats that may have the same intent to kill as a dog, maybe to even a higher degree. Plus, they've only been banned in one state, and don't make me go through a list of other stupid laws. The fact is there are tons of cases and articles that have to do with danger regarding dogs, and there are always two differing opinions. If there was reliable scientific proof that Pitbulls were bred to kill, then they'd be outlawed everywhere.

Sure, any cat and any dog can become mean and violent. But dogs are more likely to do so, by nature. Without any abuse whatsoever.
I disagree with that.

I've seen protective dogs. Illogically protective. And I've also seen jealous dogs. My aunt's dog tried to bite the hell out of my sister when we were there, because it was jealous of all the attention she was getting, as a new-born baby. And it wasn't a vicious-natured pitbull. It was a maltese--a small, furry dog.
Do i really have to bring up another story to counter yours? No, just leave personal experiences out of it. It's no different with humans, There are people stupid enough out there to leave their own baby in their car, and there are other people out there that are loving, responsible people.

What you're calling stereotypes are really just personal experiences. So you may have had bad experiences with cats. Sounds like you haven't owned both. Only people who have, have a valid viewpoint to discuss them, in my opinion.
Stereotypes come from personal experiences, bias and hate. There isn't one person in the world that doesn't have all of those traits in one subject.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No. You shouldn't have to take care of every aspect of a pet's life--which is why cats are better pets. You don't have to DO everything for them. They can take care of themselves, while still depending on you for love and affection. You can still fully raise the pet without having to clean up it's feces that it leaves all over the floor.

"Also, the only reason cats aren't banned is becuase they really can't do much harm if they wanted to."

No, I'm afraid that that's not the "only reason" cats aren't 'banned.' Cats are not statistically likely, especially if not mis-treated, to attack people. Look at the number of reported cat attacks nation-wide, as compared to the number of dog attacks.

You can list all the 'stupid laws,' you want, like 'You can't tickle a woman with a feather' in Connecticut--but this is a real law. As in, enforced. Not a "blue law" that's left over from Puritan 1850.

You don't have to bring up any stories, because they simply don't "counter mine." Our opinions are formed with personal experiences and from the information we get from various sources. So what, if there are nice humans, and homicidal humans? There are cases of Humans murdering each other for little more than instinct--people raised in good homes, not abused, by a seemingly happy and healthy home.

The same is true for dogs. Raised in a healthy, happy home and weren't abused--were well fed, and then the dog goes crazy, attacks a person. Just like is possible in Humans. But, as you pointed out, if that happened to a cat, "It's just a small animal."

And stereotypes come from entire communities slated towards one end of a controversial topic, usually from a single or several scapegoat incidents which cause people to irrationally dislike or disapprove one side of a conflict or situation.

Dogs attack people more than cats do.

http://saysuncle.com/archives/002396.html

28 fatal dog attacks in two years. How many from cats? I don't believe Any.

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/sharks1.html

"In 1987, New York City reported the following number of people bitten by dogs: 8,064; other people, 1,587; cats, 802; rats, 291; squirrels, 95, raccoons, 11; ferrets, 7; skunk, 3."

I seriously doubt the nature of dogs has changed since 1987, but I'm sure if you wanted, you could find more updated statistics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom