Can someone explain this feeling of entitlement and "waiting"?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't understand why these kids get on here and spam and complain for a release, asking for release dates, and being overall rude.

There are PLENTY of other games out there, why the actual **** are they getting so upset over a MOD for HALF-LIFE.

Some of these kids found the mod a year or two ago and start demanding demos, is this just the next generations mind-set or what?

I just genuinely can not comprehend getting mad at people I don't know for not making a GAME for FREE "FAST ENOUGH'.

I've been here since 1.1, I've been here for about 10 years, and I check for updates occasionally, post every now and then, and move on with my life if there's been no major news. Am I supposed to sit here and get mad at the ESF team for not updating every week? What would that accomplish? How can I even get upset about a game that's not out yet simply because "I want to play it"? There's so many games out there to hold my attention until ESF is released, and I'm sure ESF will hold my attention for quite a while, but it's NOT the only thing out there, and I'm NOT entitled to playing it.

EVEN IF it NEVER got released, I would not be mad.

It's the team's project, they do it in their spare time, if they decide they don't have enough time for it anymore that's life.

I'm happy for the entertainment ESF has already provided me, 1.1 and 1.2/1.2.3, but those weren't "Demos" for me. They were a full game experience that provided months of actual entertainment.

I'm anticipating release as much as everyone else, perhaps even more, but that is no reason to be rude to the team behind ESF.

I'm sure that the team is more excited about releasing their final product than I am about playing it.

Long story short to end this rant: The team has been working on it longer than you've been waiting, they want to finish it more than you.

Wannabe Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Some people are just impatient, like me. :p They get upset by the lack of updates sometimes and how the POTW turns into POWTHWL (Picture of whenever the hell we like). But like you said, it's their choice on if they want/if they have the time to post these updates.

I just try and play other games and follow other projects now.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I think it has something to do with respect, it's not just here but generally all kids these days. It seems like they never learned to respect things in live like older people, free stuff and whatever.
They're all spoiled in my opinion.

Best answers
This game is never released but projects still in progress on the game and it will never end. Maybe one day.

Last edited:
Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Some of these kids found the mod a year or two ago and start demanding demos, is this just the next generations mind-set or what?
Yes in my experience that is the reason. They are just too impatient. Long lost are the days when you had to open a book and spend a while to find your answers or a certain bit of information. The internet and hand-held devices have made them want everything now and fast. The new generation is used to now and fast. If things don't happen fast enough for them they start acting like spoiled kids because they don't know any better.

Best answers
I think it has something to do with respect, it's not just here but generally all kids these days. It seems like they never learned to respect things in live like older people, free stuff and whatever.
They're all spoiled in my opinion.
It's official: the mod has been in development for so long that its original fanbase have become bitter old pensioners moaning about 'kids these days'.

...and if the original bl0wj0b for the developers post is referring in part to the thread I started, I'll just point out that I mentioned 1.1 in it.

There comes a point when development has gone on for so long that the whole thing just becomes plainly ridiculous and that point was passed long ago in the case of ESF. Don't get me wrong, I do hope that ESF final comes out one day and that it's awesome and everything, but we're talking about a half life 1 mod in late 2012 now. I mean really, how much longer can it go on?

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. There are still quite a few HL1 in development
2. The HL1 source files were never released so ESF can go stand-alone. Unless you can provide several respectable news posts proving otherwise then I retract this point

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I believe if people are so impatients you have a chance to help out.
The Buu map isnt finished why not work on that in case so the release can be done faster.
Good way to spend your time on something creative and for a good cause.

Oh yeah and when you think its to difficult to finish the map then you know a little what the inteams goes through.
Complaining is easy done but helping a hand out is another thing..

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks like that gigirs guy has most of that map under control

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ESF will be released, we got toooo much % done to just let it die, to many tools developed, maps, models, gameplay mechanics finished, just wait and see !

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's official: the mod has been in development for so long that its original fanbase have become bitter old pensioners moaning about 'kids these days'.

...and if the original bl0wj0b for the developers post is referring in part to the thread I started, I'll just point out that I mentioned 1.1 in it.

There comes a point when development has gone on for so long that the whole thing just becomes plainly ridiculous and that point was passed long ago in the case of ESF. Don't get me wrong, I do hope that ESF final comes out one day and that it's awesome and everything, but we're talking about a half life 1 mod in late 2012 now. I mean really, how much longer can go on?

It would be good if it were possible to release ESF final standalone (thanks to the HL1 source being released) - the mod/game would get a MUCH larger audience in that case, though I understand there may be legal issues with that.
It's original fanbase is no longer spoiled 12 year olds who demand things from someone working for free, you're right.

Sorry, I wish we all had nothing else to worry about except this mod, and nobody had bills to pay and jobs to work, unfortunately, you'll realize one day that it's not how life works.

My original post was directed at people like you, yes, people who have nothing better to do in life than complain about the work people do for free.

People who think the developers don't care about the mod, and people who think they know so much better than the team who's been working on it for 10 years.

A half-life mod in 2012? Oh ****, let's see how many of those there have been recently: http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/mods

Oh ****, pages and pages of recently updated half-life mods?

Oh god, must be ******* archaic to work on the HL1 engine.

YOU KNOW SO MUCH BRO.

Oh, release it standalone, because the source code for half-life has been released, right?

Wrong.

YOU KNOW SO MUCH BRO.

Keep telling people how to do their "jobs" (see: Hobby), when you don't know anything about how it works.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would be good if it were possible to release ESF final standalone (thanks to the HL1 source being released) - the mod/game would get a MUCH larger audience in that case, though I understand there may be legal issues with that.
Just wondering. Where do you people get such information. The HL1 source code is not getting released. Valve said they will never do that. And the reason they gave is the popularity of games still played on the engine (CS 1.6) and VAC evading hacks made easy if that was the case.

So do post a link to where you found news about the HL1 source being released please >.>

Best answers
Just wondering. Where do you people get such information. The HL1 source code is not getting released. Valve said they will never do that. And the reason they gave is the popularity of games still played on the engine (CS 1.6) and VAC evading hacks made easy if that was the case.

So do post a link to where you found news about the HL1 source being released please >.>
Actually I'd read it on here on another thread, my mistake.

It's original fanbase is no longer spoiled 12 year olds who demand things from someone working for free, you're right.

Sorry, I wish we all had nothing else to worry about except this mod, and nobody had bills to pay and jobs to work, unfortunately, you'll realize one day that it's not how life works.
This is just a ridiculous ad hominem. "DURR U SO STOOPID U LITTLE KID WHO DOESN'T NEED TO WORK."
Please, I mentioned playing 1.1 when I was in high school, put 2 & 2 together. By the way, you appear to be a little bit agitated.

Last edited:
Best answers
ESF will be released, we got toooo much % done to just let it die, to many tools developed, maps, models, gameplay mechanics finished, just wait and see !
You still need to wait a few years for the final version of the game. The game will be released, it will be the best dragon ball game for pc.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of the old forum members, me included, just really want to relive the glory days back when it was the most unique game you could come across and a hundred hours of practice made you godlike.

I don't blame the old members for getting pissed off in the slightest. Now, people that just start accounts and rant about how long this mod is taking when they've only known about it for a month and a half...yeah, that's a little on the annoying side.

In any case, the way I've chosen to go with this mod is assume it won't release and use this forum for social purposes and trolling. If it ends up not releasing then oh well. If it does then, hey, that's awesome.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Actually I'd read it on here on another thread, my mistake.

This is just a ridiculous ad hominem. "DURR U SO STOOPID U LITTLE KID WHO DOESN'T NEED TO WORK."
Please, I mentioned playing 1.1 when I was in high school, put 2 & 2 together. By the way, you appear to be a little bit agitated.
Oh is it?

So you acknowledge that the developers have social lives, work, have to pay bills, possibly go to college and that they owe you nothing?

Good.

Best answers
I am very happy that there is someone out there who won't let ESF and DBZ die.I'm amazed how well the game looks and what great changes have been made!I don't care if it takes 10 years to come out,I'm just happy that it will be created.And I think it will be the one of the best DBZ games ever,if not the very best.Seriously now,THANK YOU for creating this game!

Best answers
Oh is it?

So you acknowledge that the developers have social lives, work, have to pay bills, possibly go to college and that they owe you nothing?

Good.
Sure, so how many decades do you think it's going to take then? another 1? maybe 2? 3 even?
It's not even like the devs are here posting anyway, it's just the agro fan-boys like yourself. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of Stockholm Syndrome sort of thing going on here among those who've keenly waited 10 years for something promised but never delivered.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sure, so how many decades do you think it's going to take then? another 1? maybe 2? 3 even?
It's not even like the devs are here posting anyway, it's just the agro fan-boys like yourself. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of Stockholm Syndrome sort of thing going on here among those who've keenly waited 10 years for something promised but never delivered.
Does it matter how long they take?

They don't owe me anything, and rofl @ decades.

It'll be released in 2-3 years tops, I might even be wrong and we'll see it in a few months, who knows.

Maybe it will never be released, what's your point? You've invested nothing here, you've only got things to gain.

Could YOU do it faster?

Go gather a team and see how fast you can make a mod, I'll wait.

Oh, and be sure it uses the half-life engine to make it look like a next-gen game.

I'll wait, really, I'll go follow your mod until it dies a painful death if it's interesting enough, I've got nothing to lose since you would be doing all the work.

I'm not losing a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom