C&C 3: Tiberium Wars

Best answers
There's been a few new screenshots released for the new installment in the Command and Conquer series. This is obviously not a sequel to Red Alert 2, but rather a sequel to C&C Tiberium Sun which was based off of the first C&C.
I'm approaching this one with a great deal of skepticism, especially after Generals. There is not a series on this planet that EA cannot destroy.

Megagames said:
EA has treated us with three brand new images of Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars, the much anticipated resurrection of the C&C universe.

It is 2047 and the stakes could not be higher. Tiberium?a self-replicating alien substance that has infected the Earth?is spreading like a radioactive ice age. The GDI, a high-tech alliance of the world's most advanced nations, is fighting to contain Tiberium, but Kane, the megalomaniacal leader of The Brotherhood of NOD has other plans for Earth. Kane's secret society turned superpower is bent on using Tiberium to take control and transform humanity into his twisted vision of the future. All-out war rages over Tiberium and the fate of the planet rests in the balance.

Experience a revolution in RTS gaming with a breakthrough single player campaign that rewards you for your gameplay style. Add layers of strategy to your gaming experience by building mobile bases, wielding the power of terrifying Ion Storms on the battlefield, or customising your armies by combining units. Battle it out online with native voice-over IP, integrated clan support, and new spectator modes that let you play RTS games like a sport.

Currently in development at EALA, Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars will ship in 2007 for Windows PC.

The images look pretty enough. Discuss.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I made a thread about this a while ago (I'll try to pull up some pictures from that thread). I'm liking everything so far, though the only thing that's bothering me is who they are going to cast as Kane or if Kane will be in this (it wouldn't be Command & Conquer without him). I'm really looking forward to this sequel.

Official Site: http://www.ea.com/official/cc/cc3/us/release.jsp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't get why everyone hates Generals so much...

Personally I'm hoping this one has more in common with Generals than the others, gameplay/strategy wise.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

It's back. The time comes.

For the Brotherhood of Nod...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They better bring back Kane with some CG movies. He'll be older, but they better do it damnit.

Best answers
I like EA games, just not their sports games.
Stop following the crowd.
EA makes some good games
This is just a third installment, any sequel is hard.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Big Kyle said:
I like EA games, just not their sports games.
Stop following the crowd.
EA makes some good games
This is just a third installment, any sequel is hard.
The thing is that the prequels weren't made by EA games, they were made by Westwood Studios (who was bought out by EA games).

SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I really don't get why everyone hates Generals so much...

Personally I'm hoping this one has more in common with Generals than the others, gameplay/strategy wise.
The reason why everyone hates Generals, is due to the fact it has nothing to do with the Command & Conquer series though it is considered a Command & Conquer game. Another thing is that Generals was supposed to be much different than it is now, it was supposed to be more based on the Command & Conquer story-line but it wasn't. I personally didn't have too much of a problem with Generals, though I dislike many aspects of it plus Act of War was more superior in my opinion.

I swear, they better not mess this up and they better cast Joseph Kucan to reprise his role as Kane.

Best answers
MC said:
The thing is that the prequels weren't made by EA games, they were made by Westwood Studios (who was bought out by EA games).
Yeah..thanks for the history lesson.
I had no idea.

/sarcasm

MC said:
The reason why everyone hates Generals, is due to the fact it has nothing to do with the Command & Conquer series though it is considered a Command & Conquer game. Another thing is that Generals was supposed to be much different than it is now, it was supposed to be more based on the Command & Conquer story-line but it wasn't. I personally didn't have too much of a problem with Generals, though I dislike many aspects of it plus Act of War was more superior in my opinion.
Generals was its own game, and story just like a game called.... Red Alert

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was explaining why everyone thinks EA is the wrong choice for making a Command & Conquer game, mainly based on how Generals turned out.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert was part of the original Command & Conquer time-line.

Update
PlanetCnC said:
The July C&C3 podcast has hit the streets, featuring Apoc, executive producer Mike Verdu, and legendary LARPer (and lead designer) Jason Bender. There's some nice little "colour" talk about the team members bashing each other in GDI-v-GDI-v-GDI multiplayer, Mike Verdu has a good overview on Tiberium in C&C3's world, there's talk of Silos, Tiberium Storms (which we read about in the designer diary a couple of days ago). Notable mentions are:

• Silos are IN, and you can steal enemy money out of them.
  • 80% of the world's population lives in Yellow Zones
  • Zone Troopers (possibly among other infantry units) aren't vulnerable to Tiberium fields, but others are.
  • Red Zones have a lot of Tiberium, so expect higher-money battles with faster powering-up.
  • Even totally farmed-out fields of Tiberium will eventually grow back, but you can't just expect to nurse your "starter" field through a whole match. Tiberium harvesting is faster in the begining of the match when there's a lot of it on the map.
  • Nod plays the "good guys" (sorta) in the Yellow Zones, where they bring food etc. to the neglected poor folk who live there. Champions of the oppressed and all that, yadda yadda.
  • EA is trying to make C&C3 a "fast-paced" game
  • Multiple refineries and harvesters are absolutely back in, and GDI has "familiar tactics still available".
  • Fan feedback (that's YOU) about the initial Tiberium shots showing "big crystals" has been heard and Mike Verdu said they made the (harvestable) crystals smaller.
  • Mike Verdu says he "comes across as GDI", but he's "subversive at heart". Jason Bender says, "Peace Through Power - Nod has style".
  • At Leipzig, EA will be showcasing the first real-time multiplayer GDI versus Nod match, and there will be a "big announcement" that Mike Verdu thinks "will mean a *lot* to Command & Conquer fans"
  • One of the factions will have an "interesting, unique" and "tactical" use of Tiberium - that you'll want to be "very close to Tiberium when you're using their units"
Hmmm... Big announcement... Could it be the big K? It's pure speculation on my part, but if you're going to the Leipzig show, may I suggest you memorize the following lines:

(Preacher) In the Name of Kane!
(Chorus) Kane lives in death!
(The Big K) KANE LIVES!

You know, just keep the refrain handy, just in the back of your head, in case you find yourself needing it (it's great at weddings, bar mitzvahs, funerals, high school reunions, etc.).
Source: http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
About the screens posted above.. can you see prerendered?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know damn well that those screenshots are perfectly plausible with today's technology. Go look at the ingame shots from Supreme Commander. Even that hackjob Act of War, when set on highest, can resemble a realistic city scene.

When has Command and Conquer EVER used pre-rendered images for it's actual battle units anyway?

Welcome to 2006. Normal mapping, bump mapping, and HDR are our friends. Maybe this crap flies in the PS3 threads but when it comes to PC that pre-rendered bit has never been much of an issue. I can hardly even remember a game in recent memory that didn't use in-engine graphics for cutscenes.

I am POSITIVE it will look at least that good on a capable machine. Command and Conquer games, graphically, are almost unilaterally ahead of their time. Why is it so hard to believe this one is?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying it can't look as good as the shots there, I'm just saying that those particular shots are prerendered. Don't believe me if you want.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
I'm not saying it can't look as good as the shots there, I'm just saying that those particular shots are prerendered. Don't believe me if you want.
You say it as if it were a fact,

Got any proof?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All the shots of the game I've seen look like that.

I'll be glad to believe you if you have some sort of reasoning behind it. But making a blind statement like that makes no sense, man.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it turn's like General then the game will suck if it turn's like Tiberien Sun whit maybe some new stuff then the game can be a good game

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub, those graphics aren't good enough to be pre-rendered. The one MC showed isn't even AA'd.

It looks like they are going for a gameplay style (good call, it was more of a gameplay feel. Generals didn't feel like a C&C game) more like the C&C we know and love, and less like Generals, which, for the life of me, I didn't enjoy.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uhhh what gameplay style?

And God hopes theres a side-bar.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually I really, REALLY hated that sidebar...

And I really, REALLY liked Generals' wide option of counter-to-counter gameplay. I didn't really play the other CnC games as much because of A.) hating the sidebar and controls, and B.) it got a little too Saturday Morning Cartoonish for me. Though maybe I should backtrack and play Tiberian Sun again.

Best answers
Generals was not a C&C game. It had nothing to do with the C&C plot, and the gameplay was totally different. It was a good game, but not C&C. EA milked the title for cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom