Bucky Balls could double your lifespan.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Buckminster fullerene molecules, the naturally occurring spheres made up of 60 carbon atoms, have long been suspected to have biological benefits. Now, a study that set out to establish if they were toxic when administered orally has proven quite the opposite—they almost doubled the lifespan of the rats that they were fed to.

The experiments were carried out at the Université Paris Sud, France.
http://gizmodo.com/5902703/bucky-balls-could-double-your-lifespan

I see these being of great use for Space Explorers and Terra formers. Over-population is an issue, but imagine if being say, 60-70, was "Middle-aged" ?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know nothing at all about anything, but would this cause cancer rates to skyrocket?

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Probably sub.. they said at one point that milk was unhealthy for you, and up the rate of cancer.. then they took that back and said the same thing about coffee.. My opinion is, everyone is ******* stupid, this includes myself, and I go about life under that assumption :D

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eggs are good for you, eggs are bad for you analogy, that's right.

They flip flop, alot.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing people tend to forget the most is balance/equilibrium. Almost any good thing can be bad for you in bigger than recommended quantities.
About the topic at hand... i can't say i know much about it either.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;0BoDFAOhbbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BoDFAOhbbQ[/video]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want to point out that these rats were poisoned, and that normal rat lifespan is about 2 to 4 years...

Edit:

Oh yeah, and Gizmodo is a ****ty ******* site with terrible quality journalists.

Also, to really achieve this effect, Mkilbride, I think you should have healthy doses of this as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Buckminsterfullerene? Funny, I remember it being said that engineers had uses for it.

Basically, the rats were being given it in solution whilst also being given the lovely compound that Avenger linked to, in order to up-scale the oxidative tissue damage. The results show reduced markers of tissue damage, but it's basically a glorified anti-oxidant, only being a month or two more effective than olive oil alone.

It's probably got uses in helping to prevent tissue damage, but it can't stop everything. The claim of living twice as long is a little silly, it's like being poisoned and then being given the antidote!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom