Bubbles `n Blurs

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good job esf team!!!
looks like beta 1.2 has a long way to go...
i cant say i dont want it...but take all the time you need, after all this beta 1.2 becomes better and better...

again GJ esf team!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Swooping takes more ki and it's slower then before as well.
why is that changed? u see the z fighters swoop for hours when they go to their enemy and they never stop swooping

Best answers
Pcjoe said:
On a general note we're also going to speed up melee quite a bit once we implement the new blocking system. The main reason I slowed it down is it becomes impossible to block. Everything comes out of the center so it's next to impossible to tell what direction comes out first. Since we'll be changing the icons and how it's displayed, we should beable to speed it up quite a bit..
i think its ok if its hard to block, otherwise noone would be using the new melee system once the block spammers start coming up. how about making it that u can try and guess what direction ur attacker is about to press? so u can press the direction before the icon comes up.
that way when ur opponent tries to pull off a combo (i heard u were implementing combos?) u can block the directions of the combo before they even come up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
because with 8 directions and an insane amount of hits for combos u cannot dodge them all

and if they were as fast as orginaly u couldnt ever see what was going on because it be a flood of arrows

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looking great as always. And if you do want to get rid of the bubble, just replace it with a sprite of nothing ;).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay soooooo is the whole "protection from beams while meleeing someone else" thing able to be enabled/disabled on the server?

Or does it only apply to beams, but you can still interupt with melee?

Best answers
The bubble isn't a sprite(or at least it doesn't look like one).

The bubble is nice, and the immunity is even nicer, although it takes alot of the "team" aspect out of the game, although I was more often on the recieving end of an anal beaming.

The melee "shadowing" is nice, gives onlookers a good idea of who is dishing out the whuppins. My only suggestion is make the difference between the true player image and the first "shadow" a larger contrast. First "shadow" 50% opacity, second shadow 25% opacity, and so on....

Greak work guys, keep that sweatshop moving and I promise I will keep the INS off your backs!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, It seems that part of this thread was lost in the time the site went down.

I don't like the bubble idea becuase it lowers the level that esf could acheive. Interfering may be annoying, but it's part of the game. Instead of being safe inside a cozy little bubble, you actually have to be aware of everything around you. If it's a team game or a free game, then there will usually be someone else to protect you from the guy that's trying to beam you, or at least just trying to kill him for his own purpose. Whenever I play, I try to let opponents duke it out, and if I see someone interfering I give him the beating of a lifetime, or at least try to. It doesn't have much place in a game that's suppposed to be fast paced. A fast paced game means you need to be moving around much, and looking out for your enemies. Plus there is going to be a tournament mode, people could do all their 1v1 without any interuptions in that mode. But putting the bubble in team or ffa.. just sounds kind of lame to me

If you were in a 2v1 situation and have no one to rely on to help you, then tough luck, there's nothing you can do except try youyr best. Being at a 2v1 disadvantage is supposed to be tough, if you try dulling it down, then it'll just make the game easier for everyone, and lower the skill needed to play it.

It also confirms that there won't be much teamwork involved in the game. With that bubble around the two fighters, there is no way you can help protect your teammate or help own your enemy. Honestly in my opinion, the bubble would drive esf further away from the one thing it's missing that would make it better on so many different levels. Teamwork. Ever just play on random servers in CS and pub around, fun? Sure it's fun, but no where near as fun as coming up with team strategies for a 5v5 match and trying tp pull them off. The same could be done for ESF and probably could be done better. I could only imagine coming up with a team combo that requires 2 or more players.

I say at least create a Cvar that allows people to choose what they want to do. Some people like the idea, some people don't. Regardless of the decision made for this feature, ESF will still be one of the greatest mods ever and I still will love it. This is the first time I've ever thought there wasa bad feature in ESF.

Allthough I'd have no problem with the idea if you had to request a duel and the opponent had to accept. Like the dueling system in Jedi outcast 2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just in case the bubble isn't a placeholder for a better graphic:

Instead of surrounding both players with a bubble, why not create an aura that engulfs both models instead?

Best answers
yea, that would be really awsome lookin, but dont forget their tryin to save the eye candy stuff for later versions cause right now it lowers the fps like hell

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, the beam BS complaints are really not that hard to satisfy. Beamers can swoop and do a gorgeous throw, then switch to a beam real quick and give it a go--not like it's gonna be the end of beaming. That's pretty much how it goes on the show anyway--melee beef, a fling to the ground, and then a charged beam WHEN THERE IS A SUITABLE OPENING. So it'll be fine; beams to finish off melee-nailed opponents will be the new thing, making winning or successfully defending the melee all the more vital.

Best answers
yea but i'm sure people will still find something to whine about, whether you be a beam spammer, a hower, a noob, why dont they just play the game and stop whining so much.

Ontopic: I like the idea of challenging someone to a duel like said before

Best answers
The bubble i guess is a good idea. but it should be more decorated like how the bubbles are in DBZ when they fight (mostly seened when Freeza and Goku were fighting) it would be a big aura around them. But anyway why don't u just make them invulnerable i think the bubble will look annoying in game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJ Shin Carl said:
The bubble i guess is a good idea. but it should be more decorated like how the bubbles are in DBZ when they fight (mostly seened when Freeza and Goku were fighting) it would be a big aura around them. But anyway why don't u just make them invulnerable i think the bubble will look annoying in game.

There were no "bubbles" in dbz.

Best answers
well, as you know, this is a WIP, so a lot of this stuff wont get to 1.2 but a lot will. And once again, to have a great lookin aura around the players would be awsome if it didnt drop the fps like hell.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
****, I spent most of my damn study hall typing up replys and it just got erased, what bull...
Aight, here we go again..

MONXver2.0 said:
Nice work, but one question. If you hit some one with a heavy attack when their at say 10% will they turn into gibs?
No, people dont gib from melee attacks.

magmus said:
question: Do these bubbles explode outwards with every puch like in the show with shockwaves ripling out from the force of the blows?
Nope, just a regular static sphere.

ZTiMaStA said:
why is that changed? u see the z fighters swoop for hours when they go to their enemy and they never stop swooping
Sorry, you're right. The Z fighters can blow up the earth 10 times over with a single energy blast, fly around the world at the speed of light, lift up a 50,000 ton mountain... If you want to argue a point about balancing, don't use the anime as backup.

ScavengeR said:
i think its ok if its hard to block, otherwise noone would be using the new melee system once the block spammers start coming up. how about making it that u can try and guess what direction ur attacker is about to press? so u can press the direction before the icon comes up.
that way when ur opponent tries to pull off a combo (i heard u were implementing combos?) u can block the directions of the combo before they even come up.
Oh, so you like playing rock paper sicsors? You can get the same thrill by closing your eyes and randomly pressing directions. The one thing we really wanted to stay away is from randomness, we don't want people to smash buttons and win because they're lucky. The way blocking is done will be modified and we will redo the hud, it wont be as easy as it is right now.

Mr. Satan said:
Okay soooooo is the whole "protection from beams while meleeing someone else" thing able to be enabled/disabled on the server?
I didn't make it a cvar, I guess I'll add one though.

Mr. Satan said:
Or does it only apply to beams, but you can still interupt with melee?
It applys to everything.

Abe Froman said:
My only suggestion is make the difference between the true player image and the first "shadow" a larger contrast. First "shadow" 50% opacity, second shadow 25% opacity, and so on....
Do you mean the blur effect? It does blur out like that, the picture didn't seem to capture it too well though.

SA_Gohan said:
Just in case the bubble isn't a placeholder for a better graphic:

Instead of surrounding both players with a bubble, why not create an aura that engulfs both models instead?
Not a bad idea, we'll concider it.

Mike88 said:
yea, that would be really awsome lookin, but dont forget their tryin to save the eye candy stuff for later versions cause right now it lowers the fps like hell
No, we're not implementing some of the eye candy because it takes time we dont have (or want to spend).

Also with the whole "It's not fair that players in an advanced melee battle dont take damage" issue.
Aight, it's not like beta 1.1 where you're flying around and someone beams you because they cought you offguard. This is like a powerstruggle, you cant break out of it on will. If someone attacks you, you cant do **** about it, you'll just sit there and take it like a ***** till you die, or the melee fight ends.
Now imagine... 2 vs 1, one of the enemys come up to you and start prepunching you. At that moment you're in fixed combat with that player, the other player can easily shoot a beam and cremate your ass. If you block the prepunch it just reduces stun time, you're still stuck in the battle.
Now do you still want to take damage while in a melee battle?

Best answers
although i have to admit, even though EVM had sweet lookin transes, the eye candy didnt really change anything about ESF so i agree that most eye candy isnt needed

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hibiki said:
and yeah that picture doesnt really do it much justice looks so much cooler and nicer in game
Agreed 100%. :yes:

This is great stuff, props to joe.

Mike88 said:
although i have to admit, even though EVM had sweet lookin transes, the eye candy didnt really change anything about ESF so i agree that most eye candy isnt needed
And your point in posting that in this thread is?

The bubble isn't just 'eye candy', it actually serves a useful purpose (read the other posts in this thread).

Best answers
i know, i think its a great idea, i just went a little offtopic when i was talkin about eye candy, it had nothin to do with the bubble. I like it and i think it looks great and the weird image thing where you see a couple faded Gokus is sweet lookin too!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CrackerJack said:
I think.. that you should be able to enable/disable the buble (the spr, so it doesnt show). Or maybe ill just have to get rid of it myself when 1.2 comes out :p

I agree with you CrackerJack, alot of these new features (like the respawn protection and this bubble thing should be tweakable/toggleable.

Oh and...your sig is teh fuxed *Points out CHAMIONS* where's the P?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom