Breaking news

Best answers
Pope John Paul the 2nd died moments ago at the Vatican.

I was not Catholic, but as a christian in general he was a man I looked up too. He was a great man and will be missed.

R.I.P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's still undecided, they're saying his heart and brain are still functioning. Eitehr way, it's not looking good. :(

Best answers
Yeah I'm watching Fox News, and it's like they can't it their news straight. First he's dead, now their saying "Oops we made a boo boo he's clinging to life."

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm watching CBC news, myself. Last I heard, an Italian media source claims he is dead, but no official confirmation has been received from the Vatican.

'T is a pity, but he was/is one of (if not the) longest-serving pope of all 260-some-odd popes. He got a lot done and was reputed to be a very wise and kind person.

It is always upsetting to see prominent world leaders decline. I can only hope that the next Pope will be as active as John Paul II.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hes dead once the smoke starts coming out the chimney, thats all you need to know...

other than that, as an athiest, even i can see the significance of this event, and i mourn the loss of gods right hand man.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's probably already seen the light, and is trying to say goodbye to all his friends before he goes.

Representing such an amazing generous concentration of faith, he'll be remembered for a long time.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am very saddened to hear this wretched news. I might cry.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i felt pretty sad the day i heard that he started to get ill and went to that hospital, i hope all goes well for him and i hope he doesnt go now..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yea , he will be missed , my mum is catholic , even thouy i'm not i understand what he meant to the lot of themn

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How do you become a pope? I need to submit my credentials and just maybe...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know the forums not supposed to be for religion or politics, but as an agnostic I can admire him for what he did for both.

Oh and he's not 'dead' until they announce it, he was alive 20 minutes before I posted this.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
who cares?
Two things:

1) I'm sure plenty of people do. There is likely a reason why St. Peter's Square is completely packed. Of course, that only accounts for the people who live near the Vatican, for the most part.

2) If you have nothing substantial to post here, please refrain from doing so. Even though your post does contain one more word than most spam posts, it's still generally not appreciated when such a post is made in a thread of this nature.

3) No warning issued, but I ask that if you DO intend to post here again, please be a little bit more sympathetic. I know not everyone is keen on the Catholic church and the people who are intimately involved in its operation, but this is a rather large event for many people, Catholic or not.

I would ask that no more such posts are made. The question "Who cares" is clearly un-needed here, and it might actually offend some people who are practicing Catholics. I know religious threads aren't allowed, but I'm wanting to keep this one open because I know a lot of people who aren't concerned with religion will still recognize the Pope's standing as a major world leader.

So, please. Show a bit if courtesy/sympathy, or do not post. Thank you for your cooperation.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This might come off the wrong way depending on how you interpret what I say. It's a good thing that he's dead/dying. Not because he's evil, or anything--it's just that he's been a pope for SO long. If you're aware of the history of the Church, they usually appointed very elderly men as the pope, and they usually died pretty quickly. But, modern medicine.. you know. He's lived a very long time as a pope compared to most, and his death will bring about change to the Church--and we all know that the Catholic Church is an organization that could use some modernization.

I can sum it up.. I'm sorry that John Paul, the man, died/will die. But I'm not really sorry that the "Pope" died, because he was one for so long. May he rest in peace, when he dies. I'm sure if what he believes in is true, he'll have a nice spot in Heaven.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm an athiest, so personally this doesn't effect me much, if at all. But I know this effects a lot of people, and I give my dearest sympathies to all who may be disheartened by this news.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well im kind of indifferent about him dying, im not cathlolic, but most people in that kinda condition deserve sympathy. Didn't know some peopel here were atheist, I can get not beliving in god and stuff, but what DO they belive in then?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chakra-X said:
Didn't know some peopel here were atheist, I can get not beliving in god and stuff, but what DO they belive in then?
There are other things to believe in besides God. I myself believe in certain morals and values associated with humanity. Well, there is a bit more too it than that, but I don't really feel like going in depth about my beliefs and such, nor do I think this is the right place to do so.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hash said:
There are other things to believe in besides God. I myself believe in certain morals and values associated with humanity. Well, there is a bit more too it than that, but I don't really feel like going in depth about my beliefs and such, nor do I think this is the right place to do so.
And we appreciate you realizing this, and would like to keep the focus of the discussion on the Pope's condition and/or legacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom