Blizzards new deal

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could never see a Starcraft MMORPG game. It just wouldn't be right. A Diablo MMORPG, oh man, that'd be nice. Especially if it wasn't huge groups, but small parties, like in D2. That way it leaves a little bit to be worried.

Ive Always Wanted to know what my Lvl 95 Druid would look like in an MMog
Just like all the others.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have school, and its hard to find a job in between, have driving lessons (yeah, you do earn some money, but not much), and you also want to go to the gym to be fit and all, you don't HAVE the money to pay for an MMORPG, you can't afford it then.

Do I have issues now?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What the hell are all company's thinking to go MMO only? Don't they know the more MMO games start coming alive, the higher the chance is that they will lose alot of money? Simply because people can't afford playing 5 MMO games because it costs too much monthly. Hence the reason why GuildWars is so popular. As long as they do it the way GuildWars does, it is fine with me, but if they also charge money for these games monthly, they might be digging their own graves.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mogwai said:
playing casually 60 in a month to 2
I played casually for 4 months and didn't make it past 34. I define casually as 2 or 3 times a week, with no more than 3 hours a piece. Beyond that is not casual gaming, imo.

My only gripe with the announcement in the first post is that, potentially, these MMO's will be shockingly similar to WoW. Don't get me wrong, WoW is outstanding if you have:

a) The time to put in to get your character to the top, and, more importantly,
b) The patience to trudge through FedEx quest after FedEx quest, killing 60 sheep to get 5 pieces of wool.

However, when I'm looking for immersion in an MMO, I don't believe I should have to incorporate the willing suspension of disbelief so that a potentially 5-minute quest can be fattened out into a 2-hour quest. One of the things I remember reading, before I purchased WoW, was that the "grind" was virtually eliminated in the game; that sold me, for the most part (the rest being that it was a Blizzard product and that I really like Warcraft). However, I was disappointed to find that there was no such elimination of grinding.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I won't really mind them focusing on MMO's as long as they start taking chances and making some more innovative changes to the MMO style of gameplay. In my personal opinion, the quest-grind-quest-grind-quest-grind-raid-grind-quest-grind-etc. rhythm is long overdue for an overhaul. I've been sick of it since I invested in SWG several years ago.

If they make some impressive plans for their next MMO's, I'll look forward to buying them. The, roughly, $20 CDN per month was never an issue for me when I was in the mood for some MMO action.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
Not more MMO......**** it man, now they are gonna screw Diablo too...

I just hope this doesnt mean they'll never make a WC4.....
WoW basically IS WC4.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

thats how long it took me. not counting wasted time in raids, auction house, battlegrounds... just sitting looking for groups, trade skills and what not.

Best answers
So this thread turned into "How long did it take you to reach 60?"

Whats next? "How much of your life have you wasted on WoW in general?"

Why not start it in this thread too!

Im for one wasting my life waiting for Starcraft 2 or the next Diablo.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:

thats how long it took me. not counting wasted time in raids, auction house, battlegrounds... just sitting looking for groups, trade skills and what not.
Assuming you played 10 hours a day (unrealistic? perhaps), that still would have taken you 48 days to hit 60.

World of Starcraft would be so sick.

ZERGLING RUSH KEKEKE.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no problem with blizzard making more MMO's (Even though I hate MMO's), but if they're going only MMO's, then thats messed up =/. They make good games, it'd be a shame for them to only make good games for a genre I hate.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best answers
Arthos said:
It IS possible. We're playing it right now. The story itself is being advanced ingame. Only this time the players themselves are taking a more direct role in the world(and storyline's) evolution.

The fact that Illidan(as much as we hate this fact) is the End boss of pretty much the entire game come expansion cements that fact in my mind.
Warcraft 4...meh it can be made. But seeing how theres a World of Warcraft, yeah that might as well be Warcraft 4.

If a Warcraft RTS game is to ever be made, it will be a BG in WoW, just like Savage.

But rather than debate. They can make a new Warcraft RTS, but they wont.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dear lord... isn't one MMO to destroy thousands of lives enough? T_T' Go away, Blizzard.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
I played casually for 4 months and didn't make it past 34. I define casually as 2 or 3 times a week, with no more than 3 hours a piece. Beyond that is not casual gaming, imo.

My only gripe with the announcement in the first post is that, potentially, these MMO's will be shockingly similar to WoW. Don't get me wrong, WoW is outstanding if you have:

a) The time to put in to get your character to the top, and, more importantly,
b) The patience to trudge through FedEx quest after FedEx quest, killing 60 sheep to get 5 pieces of wool.

However, when I'm looking for immersion in an MMO, I don't believe I should have to incorporate the willing suspension of disbelief so that a potentially 5-minute quest can be fattened out into a 2-hour quest. One of the things I remember reading, before I purchased WoW, was that the "grind" was virtually eliminated in the game; that sold me, for the most part (the rest being that it was a Blizzard product and that I really like Warcraft). However, I was disappointed to find that there was no such elimination of grinding.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I won't really mind them focusing on MMO's as long as they start taking chances and making some more innovative changes to the MMO style of gameplay. In my personal opinion, the quest-grind-quest-grind-quest-grind-raid-grind-quest-grind-etc. rhythm is long overdue for an overhaul. I've been sick of it since I invested in SWG several years ago.

If they make some impressive plans for their next MMO's, I'll look forward to buying them. The, roughly, $20 CDN per month was never an issue for me when I was in the mood for some MMO action.
This depends what your definition of "grinding" is. Some people define grinding as leveling by doing absolutely nothing other than killing mobs, which is not what WoW is--you gain most of the experience by questing.

However, this led to people reclassifying "leveling by questing," which is the new standard for MMORPGs, as the new "grind."

In any case, I think it's hilarious that you people seem to think you're entitled to Blizzard's games.

It's their company, it's their intellectual property--they owe you nothing.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
However, this led to people reclassifying "leveling by questing," which is the new standard for MMORPGs, as the new "grind."
I've got nothing against questing (aside from the fact that, remarkably, not all sheep provide wool, despite their appearance). I consider grinding to be the apparently necessary part of getting enough resources and "gear" to make a decent character.

Leveling by questing, imo, was never grinding. However, going through the same instanced dungeon half a dozen times in order to get passable equipment is too repetitive for my tastes. Cleaning out the same mine shaft over and over again to get experience needed to level my character enough to do the very next quest in a line is also a nuissance for me (lest I be torn apart by the beasts lurking in the adjacent area), particularly when I've finished off the other available quests in the other areas that suit my level. I'm simply not a "park myself here and kill whatever moves for 2 hours" person. Questing, alone, seldom provided my primary character with enough experience to level-up enough for a harder line of quests.

At any rate, it's good to hear that MMO's won't be the only Blizzard product. I understand that WoW is a very successful product, but I prefer Blizzard's single-player games, any day. I will keep an eye out for any new MMO's, too; perhaps they'll deviate a bit more from the standard MMORPG formula in their next attempt.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think the rationale was that not all sheeps have wool, it's that in your efforts to kill the sheep, not all of them had suitable amounts (or quality) of fur left.

I went through WoW just completing quests left and right.. I don't think I ever just went out with the intention of leveling up. *shrug*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless they make something better than FFXI and the "City of" games, I don't think I'll care what games they make into MMORPGs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're not all strictly MMORPG's, just MMO's, as in, big servers, lots of players, no offline/single-player. Planetside was an MMOFPS (although it had RPG + RTS elements in it =\). I think an MMORTS could be quite interesting, like lots of players controlling small groups of NPC's (or giving orders to other players) or one group working on resources and building, another on combat, like Savage.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I feel a lot better now that it seems it was a misquote. If they are still gonna make not MMOs, then i'll be content with that. I can sit here and wade through 10 years of World of *insert blizzard game here* if they eventually come out with a starcraft 2 or warcraft 4.

Someone was saying something about laying off blizzard. Well I will admit that WoW is a good game and no matter what kind of game they make, it will probably still be good. That still doesn't change the fact that I hate WoW and I hate all other MMORPGS. I'll still acknowledge them as a company that makes good games, but I won't like them anymore.

It's like if Splinter Cell sold millions upon millions, and Ubisoft decided to turn Prince of Persia, Rayman, Rainbow Six, and every other franchise they make into a stealth action game. They could all be stellar games, but I would just hate Ubisoft. Same goes to Blizzard. They can make WoW, hell they can make World of whatever they want, but if that's all they do, and they never give me another RTS again, then they can go eat ****.

Luckily though, it doesn't seem to be turning out that way, and hopefully it never will. I'll just keep waiting patiently again Blizzard, and you just twiddle away at that next RTS, whatever it is, and try to get it out one day.

Oh ya, and if your too poor to pay 15 dollars a month for a game, then you actually must live on the street. You could probably ask random people everyday for a dollar when you're just walking down the street, going somewhere; I bet if you did it every day, in one month you could have 15 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom