Bethesda - an embarrassment to modern developers. (Fix for poor CPU performance)

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Turns out they coded Skyrim in x87...a 22 year old instruction set, that has none of the performance benefits of processors since 10 years ago. Infact, even Oblivion was x86, so it's quite odd. Infact some modders have taken it upon themselves to create a hardware layer to add more modern CPU report, and the results are -staggering-, we're seeing up to 30% performance increases in alot of reported cases.

So it took modders about a month to do what Beth should have done from the start; this isn't gameplay related, it's just ******* sloppy.

http://wccftech.com/elder-scrolls-skyrim-mod-40-cpu-boost/

Have you been having FPS issues with Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on the PC and have a low end / mid end / high end PC that you are sure should handle the game on your settings and still experience a short fall in FPS during major events such as entering a new city? A mod released by a dedicated gamer helps rectify this issue and has been confirmed to work by many gamers. If you are experiencing an FPS short fall on the PC at major moments do give the mod a try"

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/skyri...u-optimization-up-to-20fps-performance-boost/

Acceleration Layer offers CPU optimization; up to 40% performance boost

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I agree with you that this should have been resolved before the game was released, I have to call you out on calling Bethesda an embarrassment to modern developers. They made one of the best if not the best game of the year. They're hardly an embarrassment to modern developers.

Also, if any thread should exist about Bethesda, it should be focused on the PS3 issues. This is nothing in comparison.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Kay.

The PS3 issue should be fixed though.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Bethesda - an embarrassment to modern developers"

I haven't played Skyrim yet, but out of all the Bethesda games I've played, I've found every one amazing. Every horrible thing I considered you as, is now doubled. You're ******* crazy.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im generally not a big fan of those open world RPGs that just let you go haywire on the world.

But Skyrim has a **** ton of locations and over a third of them can be considered a side quest. It has its bugs, but the magnitude is so gigantic its down right insane.

Yet they still managed to pull it off perfectly.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not talking about the game, talking bout the coding part.

I think it's a pretty big issue that Modders spent one month re-coding a part of the game and gave it a 40% FPS boost, while most people were complaining of bad performance, and patches just messing the game up. Basically what the modders said is Beth forgot to optimize it at all, they said even the worst ports in port history like RE4, or DMC3, had these optimization flags checked. Quality COntrol should have done this, but they didn't. It just shows how little they gave a ****.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish I lived in a world where everything was so great that I could be legitimately upset about something as stupid as this.

This is probably the best game I've played since Advent Rising, the best game ever created. I'll give Bethesda a pass.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When Bethesda makes a game... It tends to have glitches.... But those glitches still make the game fun because they are funny as hell... Especially when you see a horse fighting a dragon.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, I play with maximum graphics and don't have frame rate issues, doesn't really matter to me then.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personaly the game was very frustrating for me, it feels like an xbox game ported to PC- the menus are like 80% slower than the scrolls before it. You are literaly better off playing it with an xbox 360 pad on PC... for me that is epic fail.

edit:

"Bethesda - an embarrassment to modern developers"

I haven't played Skyrim yet, but out of all the Bethesda games I've played, I've found every one amazing. Every horrible thing I considered you as, is now doubled. You're ******* crazy.

They're just really sloppy and rushed is all.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personaly the game was very frustrating for me, it feels like an xbox game ported to PC- the menus are like 80% slower than the scrolls before it. You are literaly better off playing it with an xbox 360 pad on PC... for me that is epic fail.

edit:

They're just really sloppy and rushed is all.
The menus are also completely different from every Scrolls before it. This is a little more familiar, though:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863

I'm not really sure how one is better off playing with the controller, but then I've always preferred the mouse for any kind of precise aiming e.g. archery.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The menus are also completely different from every Scrolls before it.
Yes, that is because it has been optimized for the home console market.

I'm not really sure how one is better off playing with the controller, but then I've always preferred the mouse for any kind of precise aiming e.g. archery.
Niether am I, but apparently this PC oriented series has taken an arrow to the knee because of the durpadurpa console market.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe I'm just being too forgiving, but all of the problems people have with the game are things I either didn't really pay attention to in the first place or fixed with a mod here and there. Modders have been fixing Bethesda's games for quite some time now, so watching something stupid get replaced with something "that should have been in the game in the first place" is par for the course.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing I can genuinely fault Bethesda for is its parade of glitches and bugs in every final release. The are worse developers by far out there. That said, I don't buy, and never will again, Bethesda's triple A titles at launch. GOTY edition is good enough for me.

Best answers
Not talking about the game, talking bout the coding part.

I think it's a pretty big issue that Modders spent one month re-coding a part of the game and gave it a 40% FPS boost, while most people were complaining of bad performance, and patches just messing the game up. Basically what the modders said is Beth forgot to optimize it at all, they said even the worst ports in port history like RE4, or DMC3, had these optimization flags checked. Quality COntrol should have done this, but they didn't. It just shows how little they gave a ****.
How would quality control/testing catch this one though? Sound like an issue that could very easily slip through. The game is not broken, it is just performing slower than it potentially could (and quality control doesn't have any reference to compare performance to). There are valid reasons to turn of compiler optimizations (e.g. get faster compile times, prevent bugs caused by over-eager optimization, allow debugging, ...), someone probably just forgot to turn it on again.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FYI, the performance boost is only in certain areas, and you're more likely to get an increase of 3-4 fps than an extra 40%.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Seriously, I have nothing to complain about this game, people are making big deal of things that are not that much of a problem afterall, take IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover for example, I have been waiting that game since 2007, I didn't buy it on release (around march 2011 if I'm not mistaken) because the game was a huge bugfest, not to mention TERRIBLE performance, it doesn't matter how powerful your computer is, you just couldn't run it without stutters and crashes.

It was 66% off on steam one of these days, so I finally bought it, and by god, months after the release, multiple patches after the release and it still runs terribly and has a lot of annoying bugs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom