Beta Questions

want a vgui or menu select for high-medium-low detailed characters?

• menu select for model details high-med-low?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no menu select for model details

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
*kisses 800 mhz PIII*
****** smacks Intel Onboard Video Card*
*kicks 64mb RAM*

*goes out to buy a new comp*

ultrassj_vegeta

U
just get a new processor.... thats bout it... i mean u got vid card... nuff ram... just needa upgrade ur 233......

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by [ESF]nighthawk
I don't like ppl that whine when their computers can't keep up with today's stuff when they use computers more than 5 yrs old.;( That just pisses me off...go upgrade your damn relic and quit complaining if your TNT1 P2 233 32 megs Ram can't handle new stuff. This is 2002, not 1995. ;( Maybe a few lines of code can save you $$$ now...but what happens when anything new comes out and you want to play it but can't. You might as well have spent $$$ cause now you won't be able to play them.
exactly if your comp isnt good enough tough

Best answers
Isnt a 233 minimum req. for hl anyways? You can get a 1.3ghz for the price of a couple of games nowadays. Maybe you could trade in your 233 for about $5 too so its a win win situation ;D

Mog

Best answers
133mhz is min.req. for hl and i think 4mb graphics card is min.req so ur ok there.
get cpu upgrade to 750mhz + maybe more ram.
also try lowering ur res. im on 800x600 and get 99fps on my gf2mx

Best answers
I make a logical thread about a poll and a question, and what does it turn into? a "buy a pc fest" guys lets stay ontopic already!

ultrassj_vegeta

U
nah i think we shud talk bout buyin pcs... coz thats wat this is...... but yeh just upgrade..... mean if ya dun just makin more work for the team...

edit: o yeh there is like a thread bout reducin lag and stuff or sumfin..in codin i think.......

Best answers
Originally posted by Sierra Sonic
First off, dont reply if you have no reasnable thing to do. "Go buy a new comp" Why dont you buy me one Im sure your dont mind wasteing the money, even though 2 lines of code could fix your problem.
Your video card cant handle the dynamic lights, nether can mine.
A button to turn off the lights is in the beta already and was suggested.

Use r_dynamic to turn of dynamic lights... How about doing a lil research yourself before whining about me to code stuff you can easily do by yourself?

Again if you say buy a new video card think of this, my comp cant... the bios wont allow it, buy me a new comp and then a new video card. But I think the fixes in the beta will save you cash.
I doubt it... The beta is optimized in reducing lag, by letting the client do as much work as possible without needing the server, it's not optimized to get high framerates, this might actually reduce the framerate on a really crappy computer like yours.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by harSens

Use r_dynamic to turn of dynamic lights... How about doing a lil research yourself before whining about me to code stuff you can easily do by yourself?
[ESF]nighthawk said it didnt work because of the latest release of HL.

So thats why I didnt say it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey, i tried to update my old comp, and my motherboard was obsolete, so its prolly teh same fer u

Best answers
Well, r_dynamic might work...but not in-game, on-the-fly in the console...try it. Load up CS, play CS_militia (one with the house and sewers with the lights) open up console and type r_dynamic 0 and turn the lights off and on in the sewers. You will still see the lights turn off and on...turn on your flashlight. You'll see that too. There might be a way to turn it off before you load HL itself in your autoexec.cfg file, but I wouldn't know if that would work since I never really tried it. All I'm saying is that using r_dynamic console command in-game doesn't work.

Best answers
as long as you have a good processor then you dont have to worry about fps loss. My comp sucks so even with my voodoo3(lol like its a good card for today...) I get hella fps loss.

Best answers
guys i have a very very wierd occurance, if i use the maximum resolution of opengl and the minimum resolution opengl, the fps is the same and maybe differs by 2 frames, i really dont understand why and how thats happening and also, sometimes some sprites look pixely, i mean isnt this geforce 2 mx 400 supposed to render everything good? some sprites just look terrible :(

Best answers
No, sounds about right...Geforce MX's of any kind lack the power that regular Geforces have. Namely vertex and pixel shaders.

Best answers
Note for people buying NEW OR USED VID CARDS. In the Geforce Family the "MX" is the bottom class of every line of cards they had.
Look at the new gf4 cards. Theres the GF4 4600 (the best), then GF4 (4400) and so on until you get into GF4 MX.

I would have to agree with everyone else. You need to upgrade your 233 mhz. Probably just alittle, When i had a 350 mhz cpu and voodoo 4, playing halflife was hassleless. If u know what your doing just buy a 500 mhz processor or something. There not even expensive. If your REALLY a cheap ass buy a CELERON (LOL).

Thank God, i got with the program and bought me an Alienware Area - 51 with all the goodies. Now i don't even look at specs for games any more :p. And before any of you jack asses say, im a spoiled brat who has his parents buy him ****, let me say this. I Got a damn job and raised 3 g's for my cpu. So don't give me no bull****

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, r_dynamic might work...but not in-game, on-the-fly in the console...try it. Load up CS, play CS_militia (one with the house and sewers with the lights) open up console and type r_dynamic 0 and turn the lights off and on in the sewers. You will still see the lights turn off and on...turn on your flashlight. You'll see that too. There might be a way to turn it off before you load HL itself in your autoexec.cfg file, but I wouldn't know if that would work since I never really tried it. All I'm saying is that using r_dynamic console command in-game doesn't work.
there is away to have it automatically do it when you load up with the 1.1.1.0 patch alot of new features and command line extensions one of the new features was the ability to add (not sure exactly what and how) but ya can add those console commands into the target line so when you load up from that short cut its loads those settings ya can even creat a shortcut to a dedicated server:shocked: i had a page with all these commands but i lost the link to the page and i havent been able to find it again, if someone else knows of a place where this infomation can be found PLEASE post the link

Best answers
No, sounds about right...Geforce MX's of any kind lack the power that regular Geforces have. Namely vertex and pixel shaders.
True, but you know as well as I , that neither pixel or vertex shaders are being used by halflife. So his low end geforce card should be plenty for it.

Best answers
Originally posted by LiL Goten

Thank God, i got with the program and bought me an Alienware Area - 51 with all the goodies. Now i don't even look at specs for games any more :p. And before any of you jack asses say, im a spoiled brat who has his parents buy him ****, let me say this. I Got a damn job and raised 3 g's for my cpu. So don't give me no bull****
Bah, what a waste of money. I build myself an incredible machine for less than $1000. So foolish with your money, you could of bought a nice car with the other $2000.

Best answers
Originally posted by phrack50

True, but you know as well as I , that neither pixel or vertex shaders are being used by halflife. So his low end geforce card should be plenty for it.
Yea, it should. But this ain't HL, this is ESF. Our map r_speed counts and player models are a bit more on average then CS's maps and models. But it also depends on his other specs as well (i.e. proc, memory, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom